Golf membership. I'm now in the marginalised bracket. A reflection.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Also helps that when we do rejoin after a period of x years our handicap is more accurate. I could go bandito and practice my nuts off and improve no end (as if!) and on coming back be put at my last official handicap on 12.5 but actually be capable of far better/worse.

t0m

Head Pro
Visit site
I really want to join a club but at the cheapest I can find I'm looking at 40 rounds on other courses that's a fair bit of golf

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really want to join a club but at the cheapest I can find I'm looking at 40 rounds on other courses that's a fair bit of golf

I think there is more to joining a club than just "per round" cost. The ability to walk on and play as many holes as you like and when you like to practise. Or using the range and practise facilities. Making friends, entering comps, having a beer, etc, etc.

Just because golf is an individual sport, doesn't mean it can't still have a 'team' feel.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A few places I know are offering a membership where you buy "credits" towards green fees while retaining a membership and the option to enter club comps with (active handicap obviously). Seems a decent idea and would suit the OP in my opinion so that he could perhaps buy the lowest tier of credits and keep a handicap and most then give a top up option. Good to see some clubs forward thinking

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair point.

However, I am now spending no money at the club at all so they have less now.

Working people don't get much chance to play during the week and weekends are pretty much the only option. Clubs aren't doing enough about this demographic in my opinion.

Golf has the problem of contracting you in for a year. The cost associated means that you almost have to concentrate on golf alone to justify the expense which I am not willing to do at the moment.

I would, however, like to maintain an active handicap so that I can enter open comps etc. and play some competitive golf.

Looks like I will just have to wait it out and so will the club.

Cam

Have you thought about somewhere like South Kyme which is only about 17 miles from Spalding. They have a range of memberships including flexible. It could be a means of keeping your handicap.

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think there is more to joining a club than just "per round" cost. The ability to walk on and play as many holes as you like and when you like to practise. Or using the range and practise facilities. Making friends, entering comps, having a beer, etc, etc.

Just because golf is an individual sport, doesn't mean it can't still have a 'team' feel.

I agree completely. Saving money if you play a lot is one thing, but the perks of a membership are much more important to me. Just being able to turn up and have a few practice holes when you want is a huge benefit for me.

I think people should consider "per round" cost, but only if they KNOW that they could lose a lot of money. For example, joining a club that requires you to play at least 40 times to save money, when you KNOW that you can only play once or twice a month, would be silly. I play at least a comp per week, and at least one or maybe two practice sessions, so I know that the economic side of it is safe as houses.

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm the same. Children similar age to yours, similar lifestyle. I took golf up a couple of years ago, and play maybe ten times a year. There are no clubs anywhere near me who offer anything regarding membership for an infrequent player like me. That's fine - but if they did some very low price deal which allowed me occasional playing rights, I'd join.

For example, an annual fee equivalent to say 11 green fees, allowing me to play no more than 12 times a year? Fees wouldn't be high, but the club would have my money, and I'd play my occasional round there, rather than hop about between several courses.

Pidley; lakeside lodge do a associate membership scheme for £50, I joined in winter so got 18 months! This gives you membership entitlements for circa 20% discount on greenfees. Pidleys probably 30-40mins from you so maybe a bit far...

t0m

Head Pro
Visit site
People need better options from clubs I really want a membership as I would love to go and play a few holes after work and I'm not willing to pay £10 for it. I think the first year orlf playing golf is hard for newbies and clubs don't make it easy which must put a lot off all the 9 hole courses around me are crazy prices. And par 3s are to small we need more affordable and accessible course for the new and infrequent player

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's really about time clubs modernised their approach to memberships, I'm the same, £700 lighter and played 3 times maybe and around 4 times elsewhere.
There's a club in my area (a bit far though) which offers a credit system, you pay I think £200 at the bottom level and it gives you credits, you use them as you play and they can be topped up, you get a handicap and can play in comps.

Most clubs now offer some type of "flexible" membership scheme, which will allow the more casual golfer with less time on their hands the ability to play and maintain a handicap.
Certainly, if I were only able to play 6 or 7 times a year I would not join any club as a full member, much too expensive, unless the club in question was an out and out goat track, and then I wouldn't want to play it anyway!
I think in Cameron's case above, where he equates 10 rounds of golf to £42.00 per round, you've got to look at the "bigger picture".
How much would it cost to play that particular course as a green fee payer? Not the reduced price you would get as a members guest, but if you turned up unannounced and tried to get on.
Add to this the fact that you get to keep your handicap and can play in competitions, and usually are able to sign your mates in and I think it then becomes better value.
And fair enough, if you only played 10 times then yes, your cost per round would be £42.00. But you'd only have to play 5 more times @ £15.00 a round for this average to come down to £33.00.
And 5 more games isn't a lot.

JakeWS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure where you are all based, but Haigh Hall Golf Club in Wigan is a Private golf club attached to a Municipal course. You can pay for a Season ticket from the WLGC who run the course, allowing you to play for free, then if you want a handicap etc you can pay £95 for a full priced adult, or £40 if you're a student like me, which then gives you a handicap and the access to comps and opens etc.

Maybe there is something similar near you?

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
People need better options from clubs I really want a membership as I would love to go and play a few holes after work and I'm not willing to pay £10 for it. I think the first year orlf playing golf is hard for newbies and clubs don't make it easy which must put a lot off all the 9 hole courses around me are crazy prices. And par 3s are to small we need more affordable and accessible course for the new and infrequent player

You mentioned earlier that you don't have the money outright, but if you ask, the club(s) in question could allow a direct debit. They might not advertise it on their websites, but a lot of people don't have £600 to blow at once, so a monthly direct debit is the best option.

I pay £60 per month, and green fees would be £15 a round, so I'd have to play at least 48 times to save money. But, bear in mind that every time I step onto the course, it counts as hypothetically paying £15, and if I carry on playing 3 times a week as I am doing, I will have broke even by December. Just having a few holes before or after work, you would have still had to pay a green fee, so if you'd need to play a minimum of 40 times to break even, you need to think of this of having to step onto the course 40 times, not play 40 full 18-hole rounds. If you're playing a comp once a week, and having one, maybe two morning or evening practice sessions, you'd break even very quickly.

There is clearly a problem with attracting new members, as the figure stating than 55% of golf clubs have a declining membership doesn't lie. Like it's been said, clubs can't over-do the offers and reduced rates, or they'd lose money. For example, if somebody is under-35, and has been paying a full £800 per year subscription for a while, if the club introduces a reduced under-35 rate, that member will obviously go for the reduced rate, and the club will lose money. If a club introduces a membership that allows people to play less often, at a reduced rate, then a full member might evaluate their situation, and decide that they'd rather play less frequently, and have more money in their pocket, so they'd choose the reduced rate, and the club would lose money. Plus, some people get upset when they've paid their £800 subscription for years, and showed loyalty to their club, and suddenly the club introduces a discounted introductory rate for new members. It's a balancing act between attracting new members, and keeping the current members happy.

Captainron

Visit site
I seem to have struck a chord with a few others here and the input has been lively. Thanks

The options around me with 'flexible' membership still don't suit my lifestyle and family choices at the moment. Loads of us are in the same/similar boat. Now we would like to spend money on the product (membership) but it just isn't there for us. So we play less and move away from the game to more readily accessible options.
In time our choices might change and we may drift back into the game and invest in membership again in the future (I almost certainly will) but that looks to be a good 5 years off for me. I want to compete sometimes and not just rock up and play on a Sunday after 1pm (restricted tee times etc.) with some mates for a casual knock. I need a handicap and as such I need to be a member.

t0m

Head Pro
Visit site
They seam to think o don't have the time to play seven days take a 5 day membership Monday to Friday then if you want to pay on the weekend pay us lots of extra cash. Most people's free time is weekend s why not do a weekend membership

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You have a full time job, a wife and 2 kids and actively play 3 other sports. Seems to me that you have made the decision not to play as much golf. You also say you want to play more golf but then contradict yourself by saying you have found yourself wanting to play less because of the other sports.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but it seems to me that if you really wanted to play golf, you'd find a way to do it by sacrificing something else, as it is, you sacrifice golf to do the other things.

Captainron

Visit site
You have a full time job, a wife and 2 kids and actively play 3 other sports. Seems to me that you have made the decision not to play as much golf. You also say you want to play more golf but then contradict yourself by saying you have found yourself wanting to play less because of the other sports.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but it seems to me that if you really wanted to play golf, you'd find a way to do it by sacrificing something else, as it is, you sacrifice golf to do the other things.
But I do want to play golf, just not as much as would be warranted by a membership which I need to take part in opens/invitational comps. Even when I was "committed" to golf, I played a maximum of about 20 rounds in a year. The economics of it are rubbish.
I am trying to play more sport in general. The whole point I am trying to make is that golf membership is highly restrictive to most people both in terms of finance and time. I have chosen to sacrifice golf (played 6 rounds this year) to play more cricket (only played 9 matches this season/22). Other weekends have been holiday/visiting friends or having friends over for the weekend etc. rugby and hockey have just started and playing golf in winter isn't much fun to me. I might have 2 or 3 more rounds this year if I am lucky and the weather is kind on the days I am available.

The Green Fairy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But I do want to play golf, just not as much as would be warranted by a membership which I need to take part in opens/invitational comps. Even when I was "committed" to golf, I played a maximum of about 20 rounds in a year. The economics of it are rubbish.
I am trying to play more sport in general. The whole point I am trying to make is that golf membership is highly restrictive to most people both in terms of finance and time. I have chosen to sacrifice golf (played 6 rounds this year) to play more cricket (only played 9 matches this season/22). Other weekends have been holiday/visiting friends or having friends over for the weekend etc. rugby and hockey have just started and playing golf in winter isn't much fun to me. I might have 2 or 3 more rounds this year if I am lucky and the weather is kind on the days I am available.

Understand completely - I didn't take up golf till I was 40, with kids, mortgage and all the rest. However, I did get injured playing other sport, including cricket and realized that I wasn't recovering as quickly as I did in my youth.
Made the time and found the cash to join a modest golf club and started something that a) saved my sanity and b) kept me fit, without damaging anything.
It all comes good when you retire and have a sport that you can play to a good standard for, pretty much, the rest of your life.

Best decision and money I have ever spent.

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am about to suffer this same predicament. I've only just become a member again of a club after 14 years of playing sporadically and i've loved this year so much. Competitions is what it's all about for me and casual knocks aren't as enjoyable even though they are still required quite frequently to keep the swing in groove. Anyway, i've got a nipper on the way and i'm now torn on what to do with golf. I can't really legislate £1100 a year and deem it value for money if i'm barely playing, plus i'll only want to be a member for competitions which I then pay another fiver per comp. But on the other hand i'd have a big void if I don't play and it's important to have something you love to do in your free time, especially when the stresses of being a parent kick in. A few of my mates have been in a similar position and said I shouldn't quit as i'll regret it but my missus will be on a pittance on maternity leave and can I really afford the membership and then get value for money when i'll not be able to play as much?

Sadly my club offers no flexible membership, helmets.

Last edited:

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
About to turn 40, wife 2 kids, busy job..and the 1200 a year membership does make me wince for sure. But, I figure its the same cost as a decent gym membership around by me, it makes me very, very happy and has re-ignited a passion for achieving something very hard. I guess there is an element of being selfish, when I'm gone for 5 hours on a Sunday, but I think you have to be at times, do what makes you happy, compromise where you must (less boozing for example) but prioritise for what makes you happy.

D

Deleted member 15344

The reason why all clubs don't offer "flexible memberships" is simple - they can't afford to or take the risk.

Golf clubs need the finances to operate and to keep the course is the condition expected by the members - it's a product that if people want they must pay for.

There are always multiple Pay and Play courses all over the country that can offer cheap membership to allow people still to play and keep a HC