Membership confusion and options.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As some will remember a few weeks back i posted about my sheer disappointment in the current club and after an unofficial chat with one of the managers while at the range last week, im now convinced that nothing is going to change. Cut backs in budgets to maintain the course mean its unfortunately on a downward spiral, which is a massive shame as its one of the best muni's in the area.

So here's my predicament

My current course sort of suits my situation, £60.00 a year then £24.00 per green fee means i have the flexibility to play other courses when i fancy a change, without feeling that im losing out on a pre paid annual membership, there is around 40 comps a year and no need to pre book any tee slots, As a member section of a muni, we are allocated 9-9:30 on a sunday so can always get a game, and its only 5 mins from my house. Now i know that this can be an expensive why to play golf at around £1250 a year based on 50 rounds, and this isnt taking into account range tokens as there is no practice ground or any greenfee's, but in the 18 months ive been there its worked ok, mainly because i do really enjoy traveling.

Now up until today i had 2 course options as a main for local courses, both within 10-15 mins drive (8miles each one)

Course 1 (park wood) at £1200 (for 12+5 free months)
not a bad course, no tee pre booking and roll ups on sunday and saturday, pretty good practice area with plans for a range to be built this year, the only downside can be that it can suffer with fog during winter months as its on the surrey downs.

Course 2 (north downs) at £999 (12+4 free months),
heard good things mainly about the condition, practice area, but rolls ups on saturday only and from what ive been told tee booking for the sunday opens a week prior, effectively finish your game and pre book the following weeks tee, now this along with no sunday roll up has just taken this one out of #1 contender spot.

Now i want to get into a fixed course to play more frequently, but part of me still fancies the idea of being able to wonder to new pastures should i fancy a change of scenery one week, theres a group of 12 of tour about a fair bit, so at least once a month maybe twice im going to be playing new courses so maybe 30% f my membership could effectively be wasted

Well today another option come into play and its getting more and more appealing by the minute, Foxhills recently purchased a 27 hole local course and in the last few months have put in major investment, Rumours of around £500k in machinery, along with £200-£250k going in to each of the 3 nine holes has seen major improvements to the course, and a 1.5mil club house program is due to start any day now, along with the range they have this makes the course very attractive at only £970 a year, especially as its a 27 holer meaning it can get mixed up week in week out for different comps and will do more so once the modernisation of the final 9 holes is complete. What i also like the idea of is the fact that if one nice is more wet than the others, they have the flexibility to close one 9 to protect it and so on...

Now the best bit:

• 20% off all purchases with your exclusive Black Membership card. Just £50 activates the card and then top up any time you want
  • Free Wi-Fi
  • Free Room Hire Up to 5 last minute meetings with a 48 hour lead time.
  • Free Golf Day
    Have a free Golf Day on us. This could be used as either a corporate hospitality event for your clients or as a morale boosting staff golf day. T & C’s apply.
  • Free Guest Passes or Free Range Balls
    4 Guest Passes per year or Driving Range balls worth £88.
  • Foxhills Treats
    Receive 2 Green Fees and 2 Day Spa Memberships at our sister club Foxhills. Privileged rates are available on bedrooms.
  • Zero Joining Fee
  • 100 Rounds
    Handicap for 2 nominated Players including access to all board comps
    7 Day Access
    21 Days Advance Bookings
    20% discount in bar and shop with Farleigh Card*
    Range Discounts*
    Complimentary Golf Day
    Complimentary Room Hire
    Complimentary Guest Passes

Now between the twelve of us that tour about, around half are self employed or have our own business's, and our thinking is that it is effectively 6 corp memberships that could be split 50/50 between the company owner and 1 names player, £425 pound would give each player 50 games each, options of all comps to maintain HC, with the options to take other guests to use up our allowance of 50 games per player, Ive spoke to the club already this morning, and im waiting for 2 things to be confirmed:

* is it just medals we can enter or is that all board comps too.
* if we run out of games (IE use all 100 round passes) how much are additional green fee's?

can anyone give any feeback on my thoughts, and more importantly any question that i may have over skipped.

T

thecraw

Wouldn't touch option three. Its a business venture not a golf CLUB. You want to be part of a club in my opinion, what's wrong with no Sunday roll up? If you join a club you'll soon be known and sooner or later, depending if your a knob or not be invited into sweeps, swindles and asked to join a regular group.

Also why not just get signed on at different courses by people on here? That's what I do. I've been lucky enough to play The Old Course St Andrews, Scotscraig, Bogside, St Nicholas, also hope to make it to Blairgowrie and Goswick this year.

Bite the bullet and join a proper GOLF CLUB.

Only my opinion though, it is your money after all!

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
some valid points craw, i suppose it comes down to the fact i want the best of all worlds. The fact is at the moment i have 2 groups of playing friends, the ones at the club, and then the group we tour with. By leaving my club i will no doubt end up with 3 playing friends as i wouldnt want to lose contact with some of the guys ive made friends with,

So, my golf then gets split between new club, old club, and the touring bunch.

As ive said to someone else a big factor is cost at the moment, my golf is effectively costing me around the £1300 mark per season for 50 weekend games, and if as a lump sum i had £1300, it would open on nearly every course within 10 miles other than The Addington. work hasnt been that great, and im thinking of the corp thing more as a stepping stone if im honest.

My thoughts are,

* 50 rounds at £425 equates down to about £8.50 per round.
* 50 rounds would give me more than enough game to play all comps available to maintain a decent hc,
* Any weeks missed i could use the game allocations up with guests, or even twilights in the summer
* would still allow the flexibility to play other courses
* Would be easy to save the subs for next season while still partaking in a competitive seasons golf

The issue is that unlike some, my golf is effectively once a week, if i can blag a 2 dag pass with HID now and then its a bonus, but with the exception of range once a week, and a round once a week, i dont get as much time to play to warrant full use of a 7 day membership, with this being a factor, i have to look at a membership being a maximum of 40 rounds a year, with maybe 10/15 twilight games.

Im not sure how you guys on here wangle it, but i get the impression that most of you are at your home club at least twice a week, and that would be awesome as id feel like i was getting value for my £1000-£1300, but its simply not the case.

There is a few courses around that if i played this corp package for one season, would allow me to save enough to join some of the nicer courses, such as addington palace or purley downs to name a few.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm with Craw on choosing a members owned club for the simple reason all the money goes into the club, there isn't a percentage hived off for profit. As many have found, if a company starts to struggle they still want the same dividend and the course gets even less investment.

I wouldn't touch your 'new' 3rd option because its all about what they will do. Bearing in mind the current state of finances I'd be wary of (potentially) false promises. It sounds good but will it happen, how long will the work take and how long will the course take to recover from all the work.... definitely not something I'd opt for.

Whether or not a club has a swindle/fiddle/roll up; they pretty much all do, you'd be hard pushed to find one that hasn't got a group that have set one up. In fact most clubs have several.

I'm at my 8th or 9th club in 44 years. All the clubs have been welcoming, and all of them have had a number of roll ups. One thing I would say is if you do move, commit to the move. On two occasions I've been a member of two clubs at the same time and in truth, for whatever reason, it takes longer to be 'accepted' in the new club if there is a perception that you are not committed to it.

Good luck.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm with Craw on choosing a members owned club for the simple reason all the money goes into the club, there isn't a percentage hived off for profit. As many have found, if a company starts to struggle they still want the same dividend and the course gets even less investment.

I wouldn't touch your 'new' 3rd option because its all about what they will do. Bearing in mind the current state of finances I'd be wary of (potentially) false promises. It sounds good but will it happen, how long will the work take and how long will the course take to recover from all the work.... definitely not something I'd opt for.

To be fair from what i've seen personally and heard from friends i know who are members there already, all promises have been be delivered to date, foxhills aquired the club last year, while my friend was head green keeper, and before any plans were made new plant arrived within weeks and a total green keeper restructure saw my friend move to westerham, and a new head green keeper appointed. Instantly one of the 9's (which used to be a P&P 9 hole) was closed, £200k/£250k went in to is straight away, with new bunkers, relaid bunkers, water features and pathways installed and this was open straight away, with the next 9 holes closed pretty much on completion of the first 9 and straight into phase 2. My understanding is that the 2nd 9 has now been finished (which didnt look far off when we played it last year) and they will be starting the final 9 with the same urgency that has seen the other two nines revised and completed.

Whats nice is i have played the current 9 that has just been finished in its pre take over form, so will be able to guage how much is being invested when i play it in its new form. Guys that i played with in october time commented that the first 9 that was revised was heads and shoulders above the original layout, so from what we have seen everything promised has been delivered.

Its going to take alot of thinking about, but as a 1 year plan, its looking a good option.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't touch option three. Its a business venture not a golf CLUB. You want to be part of a club in my opinion, what's wrong with no Sunday roll up? If you join a club you'll soon be known and sooner or later, depending if your a knob or not be invited into sweeps, swindles and asked to join a regular group.

Also why not just get signed on at different courses by people on here? That's what I do. I've been lucky enough to play The Old Course St Andrews, Scotscraig, Bogside, St Nicholas, also hope to make it to Blairgowrie and Goswick this year.

Bite the bullet and join a proper GOLF CLUB.

Only my opinion though, it is your money after all!

I'll happily sign you onto Goswick if you want

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To be honest with you no matter whose opinions you get on here its all about you at the end of the day. Now I can imagine theres benefits to all the clubs. How ever what you have to ask yourself is where do you want to play golf? Where will you enjoy it the most week in week out? From what your replies have been to me it seems pretty clear you are quite excited at the prospect of playing at course no3. As it should work out half the price of the other courses whats the harm in having a year there as a trial and see how it goes? If they fail in there promises then you can move on.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
OS, I'm assuming it's Farleigh?

If so, it's still a members' club too, right? It's not just businesses. So while you'd have benefits of being a corporate member, but you might find that tee times are restricted to protect the members?

Membership looks quite reasonable there, £930, and it's a damn site better than Park Wood, which I dislike a lot! or join on the PAYG scheme for £149 and then get reduced green fees, 2 free rounds and entry into 5 medals (assuming it's Farleigh).

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To be honest with you no matter whose opinions you get on here its all about you at the end of the day. Now I can imagine theres benefits to all the clubs. How ever what you have to ask yourself is where do you want to play golf? Where will you enjoy it the most week in week out? From what your replies have been to me it seems pretty clear you are quite excited at the prospect of playing at course no3. As it should work out half the price of the other courses whats the harm in having a year there as a trial and see how it goes? If they fail in there promises then you can move on.

this is kinda my theory ion thinking, if i cant settle there, atleast its not been a major commitment

OS, I'm assuming it's Farleigh?

If so, it's still a members' club too, right? It's not just businesses. So while you'd have benefits of being a corporate member, but you might find that tee times are restricted to protect the members?

Membership looks quite reasonable there, £930, and it's a damn site better than Park Wood, which I dislike a lot! or join on the PAYG scheme for £149 and then get reduced green fees, 2 free rounds and entry into 5 medals (assuming it's Farleigh).

I did look at the PAYG scheme, but it wouldnt allow me to enter as many comps as i would like Bratty. As far as im aware there is no restrictions on the tee times, but this is to be confirmed sunday when we play as they are leaving some info at the desk for me. I did call this morning with a few questions, but im yet to have a call or email back from the lady i spoke to.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm with others on this. Join a members golf club. It's all very well saying that they are going to put in £x or £y but what if they don't, what if they decide to reduce those amounts significantly?

The other part to that is they will be looking for a return on that kind of investment which will probably mean higher fees and/or more members. Plus that kind of money will take some time to really benefit the course and what impact will the work on the course and/or clubhouse have on your golf during the works?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My biggest concerns would be what comps are you allowed in. Whilst medals and the odd stableford are fine, its the honours board events that you really want to be competiting for. Also, as a "corporate" member would you not be restricted to tee times particularly on weekends when the club would want to accommodate its standard members.

I can see why the deal appeals but I'm with the majority and think a normal members club is the way forward.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Patrick,

I will def take you up on that, just let me know when your coming down and I will sort out a game.