Subscriptions for membership 2023.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely clubs will be fine, cant be more than year when everywhere was full, waiting lists were everywhere, joining fees were being (re)introduced, prices were raised, green fees not needed (or wanted) by many clubs and members etc. Lets hope for members some of these clubs are as healthy a year or two later..........

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But wages are not going up by 10% so who loses out? Usually the paying customer. Also, just because items such as chemicals and machinery have gone up by 10% doesn't mean the club need 10% additional gross income. Do you think these clubs would lower fee's if there was deflation? Not a chance

As mentioned on a previous post the increase has tipped me and around 7 others over the edge and encouraged us the move to another (better) club as its now the same price. Ironically, the 8 of us leaving will cost the club £9200. So instead of trying to squeeze another £1800 out of 8 members they are losing 9k. With no waiting list for a 5 day too there's no one to fill our shoe's either.
This morning one of the green keepers also said people are removing themselves from the waiting list (for a 7 day).

This is where the fairy tail ends.
8 loyal members leave and are replaced with 8 new members who may only be there 1-2 years before moving on, this the cycle continues.

I’m hearing of clubs restricting spaces for reduced category members in favour of full 7 day members, one in particular will only allow 1 reduced category member for every 9 full seven days.

I also know of another club which has junior to 18yrs (subsidised) then 18+ full paying.

Both clubs have waiting lists and both clubs consistently reinvest in the course. Says it all.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
8 loyal members leave and are replaced with 8 new members who may only be there 1-2 years before moving on, this the cycle continues.

I’m hearing of clubs restricting spaces for reduced category members in favour of full 7 day members, one in particular will only allow 1 reduced category member for every 9 full seven days.

I also know of another club which has junior to 18yrs (subsidised) then 18+ full paying.

Both clubs have waiting lists and both clubs consistently reinvest in the course. Says it all.

Reduced category members are a thing of the past at my old club. OK there are senior and junior discounts but, aside from that, you are a member paying one fee irrespective of when or how oftern you play so no 5 day membership options. Actually I was quite in favour of that. Totally selfishly I saw that I was paying the highest amount to play once a week so I was happy for those playing 5 days a week to be paying the same.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

I wanted to join a very good club by me. I was set to pull the trigger on a 5 day when I was informed that the 5 day was being removed as its most likely that people will just pay the extra for a 7 day if that's my only option. I didn't join.

Most of these clubs are living in a false world where golf is popular. They forget that only 2 years ago they where practically begging on Facebook for members. If they needed members before covid they'll need them after. The bubble will burst and they'll come back "cap in hand" desperately needing new members again

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many years ago when I was looking to move to a different part of the country, I contacted a course about membership advising I was joining on my own and could only play at weekends. I was told that I would be expected to joing as a 5 day member for a few years and had to accept that I would not be able to play unless a full member invited me to pay a green fee at the weekend. After a few years of that, I would be considered for full membership but not guaranteed. Basically I was told I had to pay them for 3 years whilst being unable to actually play the course then I may be allowed a membership that allowed me to actually use it, unless I was a county golfer and then I could have a full membership straight away.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Reduced category members are a thing of the past at my old club. OK there are senior and junior discounts but, aside from that, you are a member paying one fee irrespective of when or how oftern you play so no 5 day membership options. Actually I was quite in favour of that. Totally selfishly I saw that I was paying the highest amount to play once a week so I was happy for those playing 5 days a week to be paying the same.

Likewise- 5 day members playing every other day or four times a week at 900 while I was paying 1600 to play once a week.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Many years ago when I was looking to move to a different part of the country, I contacted a course about membership advising I was joining on my own and could only play at weekends. I was told that I would be expected to joing as a 5 day member for a few years and had to accept that I would not be able to play unless a full member invited me to pay a green fee at the weekend. After a few years of that, I would be considered for full membership but not guaranteed. Basically I was told I had to pay them for 3 years whilst being unable to actually play the course then I may be allowed a membership that allowed me to actually use it, unless I was a county golfer and then I could have a full membership straight away.

Should have applied from a relatives address to get county level access ;)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's how beau desert in cannock Still operate. People pay the money too ?

D-S

Visit site
Giving away green fee vouchers is not an almost cost free solution for clubs. We did this once giving away 4 vouchers valid for 12 months and our member guest income decreased by £28k that year and members who weren't 'guest bringers' were not happy as it was not much of a gift for them.

Mandofred

Visit site
Only because the reduced dinosaur rates have been blocked at most clubs ?
The dinosaur rates that keep the club going........keep ignoring the older dependable members at the clubs doooooooom. Make it hard for me....and this dinosaur is more than happy to find something else to do......