Submitting cards

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
To be fair, you won the £1. But only because I didn’t know what was going on. It was the first notification I had and after I clicked accept it only dawned on me what I had done. But I trust him enough to know he is legit.

Having said that I probably wouldn’t do it again purely for the fact that I wasn’t there.

He put in 3 cards for his initial HC but to enter comps he needs 9 and I believe one of the scores I attested was towards that 9.

Ah. So you were just making it up. There’s a surprise!

nickh

Visit site
I've been a big fan and advocate for the WHS since its launch as I can see its benefits and what it is trying to achieve.

However, a scenario played out this week which has caused me to reign in my praise for it and has caused some mild dissatisfaction about how the system is implemented and its wider 'global' use..

I played a round of golf with 2 friends this week on a neutral course in England; one friend is from Wales and the other from Scotland, both registered with their respective golf unions in their home countries.

I/we wanted to submit a card, as I like to do, however I was prevented from doing so because they are both members of clubs in their home countries and do not appear on the players to attest section on the EG app (despite this being a ‘World’ Handicap System…)

It then got me thinking how I can then record scores on courses when I play in Wales/Scotland/Ireland/Dubai etc (I won't be able to..) and how the whole system is geo-locked to the location of your home club!?!

Am I missing something?

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I've been a big fan and advocate for the WHS since its launch as I can see its benefits and what it is trying to achieve.

However, a scenario played out this week which has caused me to reign in my praise for it and has caused some mild dissatisfaction about how the system is implemented and its wider 'global' use..

I played a round of golf with 2 friends this week on a neutral course in England; one friend is from Wales and the other from Scotland, both registered with their respective golf unions in their home countries.

I/we wanted to submit a card, as I like to do, however I was prevented from doing so because they are both members of clubs in their home countries and do not appear on the players to attest section on the EG app (despite this being a ‘World’ Handicap System…)

It then got me thinking how I can then record scores on courses when I play in Wales/Scotland/Ireland/Dubai etc (I won't be able to..) and how the whole system is geo-locked to the location of your home club!?!

Am I missing something?

Have a read here. https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/question-about-sg-app.111866/page-2#post-2499981

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Am I missing something?
I do not know a system/software solution, but could you not just contact your club…(email, text) to advise and get them to note and record that you are going to put in such an away card. And when done just take in, or send you Club, your card.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do not know a system/software solution, but could you not just contact your club…(email, text) to advise and get them to note and record that you are going to put in such an away card. And when done just take in, or send you Club, your card.
He could but that is a right old faff. It is also no different to how it was done before.

Perhaps the new system was not meant to help on that front? Perhaps it was only designed to make your handicap transferable around courses around the world? I don't believe that but there is where we are at.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Am I missing something?

One of the key points of implementing the system was NOT so that golfers could travel to different countries and submit cards.

The implementation goal was to have a handicap system across the world that was, by and large, exactly the same, so handicap calculations were the same.

The 'submit cards when playing away' is something constantly being worked on. It's not impossible to do it (I have submitted cards from Scotland, for instance). Also, the SG app doesn't require any verification, of sorts. All it requires is a name and a mobile number. At least EG have the sense to get someone who was there (well, in most instances after reading the thread), to verify the score.

EG have said they are working with SG and others so that you can register scores in other countries. It was rumoured to be coming this year, so maybe hold tight.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
He could but that is a right old faff. It is also no different to how it was done before.

Perhaps the new system was not meant to help on that front? Perhaps it was only designed to make your handicap transferable around courses around the world? I don't believe that but there is where we are at.
The WHS system is only defining the process for that first objective (in bold).
The technical/software implementation has been left to the myriad national authorities to sort out with their various software contractors. I suspect that some places in the world are still only using pen & paper o_O

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why not do the first if the second is to be satisfied?
I don't enjoy playing off yellows and it is rare that I do. It may be because the CR off yellows is 70 against par 72 and I feel (probably unsubstantiated by fact) that as I don't really enjoy playing off yellows I don't take playing off them as 'seriously' and my scores can be a bit odd.

That said if my HI was on the cusp of a CH reduction and my next round was off yellows then I probably would put a card in.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Due to the cross border palaver, my club just entered a score for me manually. No prereg, other than it was a society competition.

So far this year I've played two singles opens in England. (My club is on Wales) One score went on my record swiftly, one never appeared. (As yet)

The highly successful facet of whs is that you can get a handicap for a particular course/tees. The implementation of some of the other stuff..well, B- :whistle:

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I don't enjoy playing off yellows and it is rare that I do. It may be because the CR off yellows is 70 against par 72 and I feel (probably unsubstantiated by fact) that as I don't really enjoy playing off yellows I don't take playing off them as 'seriously' and my scores can be a bit odd.

That said if my HI was on the cusp of a CH reduction and my next round was off yellows then I probably would put a card in.

Agree with this. Just stepping up on the yellow tees alone is enough to knock me out of focus and play a game I wouldn’t normally play. My card at the end is guaranteed to be around 5 strokes higher than what it would be off the whites.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Weirdly, I'm play better off the yellows at my home course.
Outside comps, I put a card in on any round when I feel good about it beforehand (kiss of death!) or my pp and I agree to hole out everything.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Weirdly, I'm play better off the yellows at my home course.
Outside comps, I put a card in on any round when I feel good about it beforehand (kiss of death!) or my pp and I agree to hole out everything.
I'm not too bothered about how I feel about my game before I play as I know that I can just as easily feel great and score rubbish as feel rubbish and score great. besides - if the former transpires my rubbish card will sink to the bottom of my 20 card pond never to be seen again; if I score great it'll most likely count. Job done. But I still don't like 'carding' off our yellows :rolleyes:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Manipulation? ;);)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
To be fair, you won the £1. But only because I didn’t know what was going on. It was the first notification I had and after I clicked accept it only dawned on me what I had done. But I trust him enough to know he is legit.

Having said that I probably wouldn’t do it again purely for the fact that I wasn’t there.

He put in 3 cards for his initial HC but to enter comps he needs 9 and I believe one of the scores I attested was towards that 9.

Classic.

Id refuse in future, dont want anyone accusing you of anything dodgy.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
There is seemingly a lot of that going on judging by the conversations on here
I've often been accused of being a reverse bandit (oo-er!) as since the invent of WHS and the EGU app, I have, on occasion, decided that following a good round, I create a card on the EGU app and then enter the score 2 hours later and have them attested.
So, I'm only getting cut, not going up. Someone please tell me if and how I'm going to negatively impact anyone else other than myself (or my pairs partners!) doing this.
I know it's not officially the done thing, so please don't reply with the rules or anything. Just who I'm hurting, if anyone.