Submitting cards

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Genuine question - Do you and your PP's have a winner on the day etc, even if no money changes hands etc? If so - are you excluded if you dropped one in from an OOB? Like how is that managed? Or does no one tot up scores at the end? You just all go out and whack it around for 4 hours then leave never knowing the scores?

Just find it hard to grasp not knowing what my score would be, even if I play by myself Id play provvies if needed :ROFLMAO: But then I am trying to get my handicap down...

No, we don't have a winner, or playing against each other. Just playing against the Course, hole by hole. I don't kid myself, if I "break a rule "on a hole, that my par is a true par.
I mainly play for the joy of hitting the ball right. You might even call it practice ?
As for knowing my score, My interest is how I do against each hole.Did I par it or did it all go wrong.
Sometimes I play with a particular mate who likes me to play something called "in the chair" - not for money. Then we play to the rules.

When I play a competition, usually once a week or once a fortnight, then I play full rules as expected. In fact, I have got a bit of a rep. for really playing strict rules, and have been accused of being fussy!
My game is "variable ". Polite way of putting it. It's the ball striking. If I do it good and consistently I score good. If I play bad , it is because I strike the ball bad, and it goes off into trouble, sometimes big time.?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
How were you cut, if you don't submit the card? Or was the 45 points in a competition?

Sorry if not clear. It was in a weekly stableford. The Next week I had 19 points.?
Up and down like a yo yo. Depends how I strike the ball on the day. !

Seriously, if I found that my ball striking had become consistent at the standard that I can sometimes hit it, then I would be putting in cards, because I would be almost 11- single figures. I would then hone my level via putting and course management, both of which at the moment could be excellent, but wouldn't save me?

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
No, we don't have a winner, or playing against each other. Just playing against the Course, hole by hole. I don't kid myself, if I "break a rule "on a hole, that my par is a true par.
I mainly play for the joy of hitting the ball right. You might even call it practice ?
As for knowing my score, My interest is how I do against each hole.Did I par it or did it all go wrong.
Sometimes I play with a particular mate who likes me to play something called "in the chair" - not for money. Then we play to the rules.

When I play a competition, usually once a week or once a fortnight, then I play full rules as expected. In fact, I have got a bit of a rep. for really playing strict rules, and have been accused of being fussy!
My game is "variable ". Polite way of putting it. It's the ball striking. If I do it good and consistently I score good. If I play bad , it is because I strike the ball bad, and it goes off into trouble, sometimes big time.?

Weird isnt it.

I just cant go out there not caring what I score :ROFLMAO: Ill blob a hole no problem, im not so bad that I must hole out on every hole, but I just couldnt "drop a ball and play from there" - just doesnt compute with me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Whats "in the chair"?

Swango1980

Visit site
Sorry if not clear. It was in a weekly stableford. The Next week I had 19 points.?
Up and down like a yo yo. Depends how I strike the ball on the day. !

Seriously, if I found that my ball striking had become consistent at the standard that I can sometimes hit it, then I would be putting in cards, because I would be almost 11- single figures. I would then hone my level via putting and course management, both of which at the moment could be excellent, but wouldn't save me?
Surely you must be aware that virtually no golfer is that consistent? Maybe very low single figures will regularly shoot low numbers, but relative to their own performances they'll still feel like they are fluctuating between their best golf and rubbish golf (it is just a rubbish round for them might be 6 or 7 over).

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
What is the difference between playing to the rules and playing strict rules ? I did not realise there were two versions.

Yes, ok, there isn't a difference ,of course. Maybe I should have worded it differently meaning that I'm looking forthe rules to be applied more than some people look.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Weird isnt it.

I just cant go out there not caring what I score :ROFLMAO: Ill blob a hole no problem, im not so bad that I must hole out on every hole, but I just couldnt "drop a ball and play from there" - just doesnt compute with me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Whats "in the chair"?

Good question. He keeps explaining it, but it's some sort of little competition, which you win or lose hole by hole. I leave it to him to do the "calculations"?

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Surely you must be aware that virtually no golfer is that consistent? Maybe very low single figures will regularly shoot low numbers, but relative to their own performances they'll still feel like they are fluctuating between their best golf and rubbish golf (it is just a rubbish round for them might be 6 or 7 over).

Well, I was talking about ball striking, which is one aspect of playing.

I think some are very consistent in ball striking, and they do well or otherwise more because of course management decisions or distance judgements or putting etc.
But swinging the club and striking the ball can be very consistent with some players, a lot more than others. Most cat 1 players and Pros strike the ball consistently well , don't they?
Yet their performance fluctuates.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So no one plays other formats other than stroke play. We rarely play anything outside of match play variants, outside of comps. Genuinely can’t see why I want a handicap containing rounds I wasn’t giving 100% on. Social golf for me is approached very differently to competition golf. 2 or 3 comps a month is enough to keep my handicap honest.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So no one plays other formats other than stroke play. We rarely play anything outside of match play variants, outside of comps. Genuinely can’t see why I want a handicap containing rounds I wasn’t giving 100% on. Social golf for me is approached very differently to competition golf. 2 or 3 comps a month is enough to keep my handicap honest.
Yes it's more than enough.

In fact, for those competing 2,3,4 times a month, probably better we don't put in additional cards as the hc in competitions, which is what they are for really, is determined by in-competition scores. Not non-competition scores.
We now have handicap bifurcation : competition determined 'pure' handicaps, and mongrel handicaps.

Last edited:

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Yes it's more than enough.

In fact, for those competing 2,3,4 times a month, probably better we don't put in additional cards as the hc in competitions, which is what they are for really, is determined by in-competition scores. Not non-competition scores.
We now have handicap bifurcation : competition determined 'pure' handicaps, and mongers handicaps.

??