Submitting cards

nickh

Visit site
I've been a big fan and advocate for the WHS since its launch as I can see its benefits and what it is trying to achieve.

However, a scenario played out this week which has caused me to reign in my praise for it and has caused some mild dissatisfaction about how the system is implemented and its wider 'global' use..

I played a round of golf with 2 friends this week on a neutral course in England; one friend is from Wales and the other from Scotland, both registered with their respective golf unions in their home countries.

I/we wanted to submit a card, as I like to do, however I was prevented from doing so because they are both members of clubs in their home countries and do not appear on the players to attest section on the EG app (despite this being a ‘World’ Handicap System…)

It then got me thinking how I can then record scores on courses when I play in Wales/Scotland/Ireland/Dubai etc (I won't be able to..) and how the whole system is geo-locked to the location of your home club!?!

Am I missing something?

I received a reply from EG:

"In this case you will need to remove the score intent by swiping left on it within the MyEG app as currently scores can only be verified by members of affiliated golf clubs in England or iGolf subscribers.
The R&A/USGA are working with the IT providers around the world to develop the ability to submit scores/look up handicaps anywhere in the world."

So it looks as if this is something that is being addressed.

EG did not mention how to go about submitting a card when playing outside of England, or with non-EG registered players. The options that members on here suggested about asking my local hcap sec to enter a record of the card would make sense but is open to abuse as they will have no idea whether the person signing the card is even real!?!

I do believe, once sorted and integrated fully, this system could be very good.

..Nick

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I received a reply from EG:

EG did not mention how to go about submitting a card when playing outside of England, or with non-EG registered players. The options that members on here suggested about asking my local hcap sec to enter a record of the card would make sense but is open to abuse as they will have no idea whether the person signing the card is even real!?!

I do believe, once sorted and integrated fully, this system could be very good.

..Nick

Do you not think the whole system is open to abuse?

I read yesterday a post where somebody got notification of a friend entering a score and he was named as marker, he knew nothing about it!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Don't see a problem with it tbh, plenty 9f guys work weekends or irregular hours and can't play weekend comps. Never put one in myself as wasn't allowed to until this year, but doesn't mean I wouldn't.

nickh

Visit site
Do you not think the whole system is open to abuse?

I read yesterday a post where somebody got notification of a friend entering a score and he was named as marker, he knew nothing about it!

Possibly, but at least that scenario above can be corroborated. If I just entered a card with random marker names, who allegedly play in Wales or Scotland, how can it be verified that they exist? In your scenario above, at least the 'marker' can raise their concern (has a duty to??) with the hcap sec.

..Nick

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Possibly, but at least that scenario above can be corroborated. If I just entered a card with random marker names, who allegedly play in Wales or Scotland, how can it be verified that they exist? In your scenario above, at least the 'marker' can raise their concern (has a duty to??) with the hcap sec.

..Nick

Yes I do agree, at the end of the day it's about integrity, at least this way you can enter a score from the home nations, I would imagine it would be a real pain for some who live near the borders if you could not.

Swango1980

Visit site
Our general play format consists of ‘money holes’ so I’d say around half of the holes are not counted towards the main bulk of the pot. So often people will try to be a hero on those holes and end up picking up, where as it wouldn’t be the same story during a comp. Hence why our general play rounds are pretty meaningless for putting a card in.
I'm interested in what "trying to be a hero" looks like for a club golfer with a handicap? Sounds a bit dramatic.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm interested in what "trying to be a hero" looks like for a club golfer with a handicap? Sounds a bit dramatic.

I would suggest that a hero may try to land on a reachable par five in 2 or try and get the ball over the water whereas laying up would be a more sensible option,

Swango1980

Visit site
It usually means turning an easy par or bogey into double figures through playing a shot they have seen Tiger or Phil play on TV.
Indeed. I still think a handicap golfer is overstating it when they class it as "playing the hero" . Especially when I've seen plenty make an absolute mess when they try to play conservative anyway :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Try to execute each shot as best you can, whether you play aggressive or conservative. Then submit your score. If you are messing about, or having a bit of a practice, then don't submit your score.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Indeed. I still think a handicap golfer is overstating it when they class it as "playing the hero" . Especially when I've seen plenty make an absolute mess when they try to play conservative anyway :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Try to execute each shot as best you can, whether you play aggressive or conservative. Then submit your score. If you are messing about, or having a bit of a practice, then don't submit your score.

Playing the hero shots is something I try and execute often when nothing feels at stake and general play to me is like a knockabout training session with your pals hence why no cards ever get put through. And like any sport you have a completely different mindset and approach when it’s time to be competitive.

This just doesn’t happen with general play.

Considering how much i play i really don’t think I could enjoy golf if I took the same approach for both. It would drain the life out of me.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Playing the hero shots is something I try and execute often when nothing feels at stake and general play to me is like a knockabout training session with your pals hence why no cards ever get put through. And like any sport you have a completely different mindset and approach when it’s time to be competitive.

This just doesn’t happen with general play.

Considering how much i play i really don’t think I could enjoy golf if I took the same approach for both. It would drain the life out of me.

I get your point, but really you're just finding rubbish excuses to not submit cards.

You're telling me than once a week when out with the boys you just couldnt possibly all play to the rules of golf and therefore submit the score for handicapping purposes?

No one is saying enter every single round, but some general play scores should definitely be part of your handicap record if you're playing a lot of golf. Your HI just wont reflect your actual ability otherwise.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I get your point, but really you're just finding rubbish excuses to not submit cards.

You're telling me than once a week when out with the boys you just couldnt possibly all play to the rules of golf and therefore submit the score for handicapping purposes?

No one is saying enter every single round, but some general play scores should definitely be part of your handicap record if you're playing a lot of golf. Your HI just wont reflect your actual ability otherwise.

I play to the rules but every single round for a card to me just sounds like it’s open to abuse if I’m honest.

I’ve been a full member with a HC for around 4 months now and it’s very obvious to me that manipulation can be at play with cards that are purely for a knockabout.

That’s just my opinion, I’m new, obviously my circumstances are a lot different to say someone that can’t play as much as me therefore general play cards are essential.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Matt Fitzpatrick pulled off a couple of hero shots in the last day of the US Open!
I can't say I feel much more or less pressure when playing with friends or playing in a medal or stableford - maybe that says more about my game than the discussion here - but I do feel pressure in pairs matches, league and knockouts. That has to do with me not wanting to let a partner or the team down. Can't put a card in for those games, so I guess pressure when submitting a card isn't something I feel.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I only felt pressure when playing for something at stake and putting a card for anything but handicap purposes brings no pressure on whatsoever

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I play to the rules but every single round for a card to me just sounds like it’s open to abuse if I’m honest.

I’ve been a full member with a HC for around 4 months now and it’s very obvious to me that manipulation can be at play with cards that are purely for a knockabout.

That’s just my opinion, I’m new, obviously my circumstances are a lot different to say someone that can’t play as much as me therefore general play cards are essential.

It might be open to abuse but its also a tool that the golf authorities have authorised us to use and encourage us to do so.

Really dont understand your reasoning, its pretty close minded and you're just ignoring everyones advice.

Im not saying your knockabout cards go in, Im saying once a week go and play with the intention to put in a score and build up your handicap record to reflect your real playing ability.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
It might be open to abuse but its also a tool that the golf authorities have authorised us to use and encourage us to do so.

Really dont understand your reasoning, its pretty close minded and you're just ignoring everyones advice.

Im not saying your knockabout cards go in, Im saying once a week go and play with the intention to put in a score and build up your handicap record to reflect your real playing ability.

Did you not read my OP?

I will submit on average two cards per week that have only been played in weekend comps.

Would you not agree my ‘real’ playing ability was twice a week .. during competitions?

Or are you suggesting my real playing ability was a general play round during the week with the lads lads lads.

?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Did you not read my OP?

Would you not agree my ‘real’ playing ability was twice a week .. during competitions?

Or are you suggesting my real playing ability was a general play round during the week with the lads lads lads.

?
I believe that every round counts towards one's real playing ability. It takes the best 8 scores from one's last 20. Things will drop off and come back, and it tends not to cut or increase an individual massively once they have enough cards in.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anybody putting in cards once a week or more from competitions is surely putting in plenty of cards to reflect their handicap..
Personally I find cards a pain in social golf and if there is no compulsory cards I'm not going to.