Submitting cards

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've often been accused of being a reverse bandit (oo-er!) as since the invent of WHS and the EGU app, I have, on occasion, decided that following a good round, I create a card on the EGU app and then enter the score 2 hours later and have them attested.
So, I'm only getting cut, not going up. Someone please tell me if and how I'm going to negatively impact anyone else other than myself (or my pairs partners!) doing this.
I know it's not officially the done thing, so please don't reply with the rules or anything. Just who I'm hurting, if anyone.

Hurting anyone else? No

Breaking the rules? Yes.

Depends where your morality is.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
the whole point of pre-registering is to play with the 'pressure' of knowing you have a handicap card. If you can't follow this rule, I'd have no faith in you following any other rules on the course

Is it? Do people actually feel under pressure when putting in a general play score?

Or is it to stop people picking and choosing which scores to submit after the round?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it? Do people actually feel under pressure when putting in a general play score?

Or is it to stop people picking and choosing which scores to submit after the round?

i’d say there is a definite element to both for sure. The whole point of pre-registering will put a mindset in that it’s a scoring round and might make folks tense up.

picking and choosing rounds to enter is extremely scummy

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
i’d say there is a definite element to both for sure. The whole point of pre-registering will put a mindset in that it’s a scoring round and might make folks tense up.

picking and choosing rounds to enter is extremely scummy
I was going to let all of these replies just come in and not really comment.
However, if there's a suggestion that I don't play by any of the rules or am scummy, let me add some context.
Post lockdown, 7 out of 8 rounds were below handicap (13), by up to 5 shots. I was in the final of two pairs matches and decided I couldn't honestly play them off 13, given my current form. So I entered two cards to get cut to 11. Won the mixed and lost the mens.
But I felt I had made the right decision and I'm comfortable with that.
Was it scummy? Was it immoral? Not in my book. It was the opposite.

Bratty

Visit site
I've got a mate who "manages" his handicap downwards so he qualifies for the top Opens. He likes to play top courses on the cheap! He didn't break 80 in his last one... but he's happy!
See, now that does impact someone who genuinely would want to play in an open and can't cos your mate has taken a spot.
Which I won't be doing.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
See, now that does impact someone who genuinely would want to play in an open and can't cos your mate has taken a spot.
Which I won't be doing.
Apart from vanity, if too many manipulate their handicaps down and can't play to it they could well affect the PCC.
But cheating at anything implies a character weakness. :whistle:

Bratty

Visit site
Apart from vanity, if too many manipulate their handicaps down and can't play to it they could well affect the PCC.
But cheating at anything implies a character weakness. :whistle:
Ah, now there's a valid thing.
Well, the first point anyway! ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The point of preregistering is so that you are committed to the score being part of your handicap record, for good or bad. If you dont preregister, then it is handicap manipulation, and so cheating, as the handicap can be nudged upwards or downwards, depending on the aim of the player.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was going to let all of these replies just come in and not really comment.
However, if there's a suggestion that I don't play by any of the rules or am scummy, let me add some context.
Post lockdown, 7 out of 8 rounds were below handicap (13), by up to 5 shots. I was in the final of two pairs matches and decided I couldn't honestly play them off 13, given my current form. So I entered two cards to get cut to 11. Won the mixed and lost the mens.
But I felt I had made the right decision and I'm comfortable with that.
Was it scummy? Was it immoral? Not in my book. It was the opposite.
We did it once for my mate (with our backing). He was off 29 or something as he had been for years, he's certainly better than that but on the rare occasions he entered a comp he would crumble to pieces, and we weren't really putting general play cards in at that point. He shot 92 or something so we convinced him to enter it afterwards - he didn't take much convincing as he wants to get lower and us to stop calling him a bandit. Ironically it made no difference anyway thanks to the wonderful WHS. Firstly it had to go down as a 94, as he remembered taking a random drop on one hole so we had to put that hole down as a blob instead - and as we were off yellows the score differential came back as 28.6. Hardly touched the sides. :LOL: We've since realised that entering any cards off our yellow tees is a total waste of time.

Anyway, I guess my point is - it might be morally wrong but I think in certain circumstances where you know you're a bit of a bandit and want to get it down pronto, then you put a good casual round together... I'm ok with it. As you said, you're not cheating anyone else. And it's surely preferable to going out and smashing it in the next medal comp (judging by the replies to another thread on here..).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Manipulation? ;);)
If what I do is manipulation then anyone who does not put a card in for every round of strokeplay can be accused of manipulation. It is not easy to deliberately put in a good card that will see a cut in my CH; if I am to lose a counting score it is dead easy for me to deliberately put in a rubbish card that will see an increase in my CH. The latter is manipulation.

I have a match later this afternoon. I played in the comp on Saturday knowing 100% certain that if I put in a good score I would find my CH cut, and would see me giving my opponent today an extra shot. I am giving him that additional shot. I could easy have deliberately messed up or not play. I played...of course I played - it was a lovely sunny day.:cool:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If what I do is manipulation then anyone who does not put a card in for every round of strokeplay can be accused of manipulation. It is not easy to deliberately put in a good card that will see a cut in my CH; if I am to lose a counting score it is dead easy for me to deliberately put in a rubbish card that will see an increase in my CH. The latter is manipulation.

I have a match later this afternoon. I played in the comp on Saturday knowing 100% certain that if I put in a good score I would find my CH cut, and would see me giving my opponent today an extra shot. I am giving him that additional shot. I could easy have deliberately messed up or not play. I played...of course I played - it was a lovely sunny day.:cool:

And on the reverse of this based on my last 20 rounds, even if I have a nightmare in Saturdays stableford it works out I’m getting cut. Manipulation would be to pull out and keep my current HI.

Not sure I’m a lover of WHS, I could do with the extra shot!

Bratty

Visit site
And on the reverse of this based on my last 20 rounds, even if I have a nightmare in Saturdays stableford it works out I’m getting cut. Manipulation would be to pull out and keep my current HI.

Not sure I’m a lover of WHS, I could do with the extra shot!
I love your honesty. Especially about needing the extra shot(s)...!