Statto or Saddo

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having had a series of lessons over the last few months, my teaching pro suggested I took a note of some key stats during my next few competitive rounds so we could have a look and decide on a programme on continual improvement (the aim being to go from 20 to 12 this season).

I'd always seen the driving stats, GIR, number of putts etc on the TV coverage, but having started keeping my own records I've found it a huge help.

I have recently shot a gross 81 (nett 63 of 18) which was 11 over par and included 34 putts and I only hit 65% of greens.

Whilst I don't necessarily want to get bogged down with an array of stats, I purchased some software online which records the key data (fairways hit, location of tee shot, GIR, putts, handicap tracker, scores by month etc). It can also be used to record scores on other courses played.

Whilst it has helped me target areas for improvement every time I tell my golfing partners or friends at my club they all laugh and call me Statto or sad. Am I in the minority keeping a statistical analysis of my golf???

Answers to the dweeb in the polyester shirt and flared trousers !!

Homer

thebelgie24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
think its a good idea to keep an eye on weak points of game but not to get to hung up on page after page of stats...what colour is the shirt?

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm just not regimented enough to do anything like that but I think if it gives you an indication of where you are dropping shots then that can only be a good thing. I sometimes note down my putting strokes on my card as that's one area I know I can pull back some shots but it then started to upset me so I stopped.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm afraid I'm a statto! I think it helps to know where the weak parts of your game lie. Mine is chipping and putting. So I'm spending more time practicing those and the scores are improving.

P.S. 65% of greens in regulation is excellent. The reason you shot 81 and not 75 was for another reason, e.g. bad chipping.

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I record my stats and find the process enlightening and in no way sad or nerdy. It's a very polarising issue as some people, including pros, just don't give a monkeys about stats whereas others (like myself) see them as an invaluable tool to find out where you are strong and where you are weak.

As for the slagging at the course, all you need is a simple comeback to put them in their place. Next time they slag you off about it, politely suggest that they do not "use" stats because they are too stupid to grasp the concept and too badly educated to appreciate the maths. I solve this particular problem by not having any friends to begin with.

My stats (my handicap is 12)

Fairways hit: 43% (handicap standard 15)
GIR 24% (handicap standard 12)
Putts/round: 33.4 (handicap standard 15)
Sand saves: 0% (handicap standard 28+ AWFUL)
Birdie conversions: 16%(handicap standard 10)
Par scrambles: 18%(handicap standard 17)
Penalties/round: 1.83 (handicap standard 19)

Ok, the bunkers issue is due to a small data set (17 rounds for this year) but these stats give me a pretty good picture of my game.

G_2112

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
John,

I know we use the same software so we are comparing like for like.

Me (off 12): 24% GIR
You (off 9): 44% GIR

That's a big difference...

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I doubt whether these stats. will really help your game, although I usually keep a mental note of the greens I've hit and the times I've used the putter (i.e. on the green or from just off it.)
Going back to Homer. He hit 65% of the greens (excellent) but took 34 putts (not so good). This simply suggests that he hit lots of greens but left himself long putts.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think this has just proven the point of HomerJSimpson's post. Some people believe that keeping records of their stats will help them (myself and golfer2112 included) and others just don't know how to use apostrophes. Personal choice.

And I believe (like Shanker) that it's how you are able to interpret your stats that will help point you in the right direction for what you have to practice. I hit a lot of fairways and greens but play off 9 therefore I need to practice getting up and down when I miss the green to lower my handicap and less time on my driving and iron practice. Makes sense to me.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apparently, an excellent way to keep track of your game is to note down where you miss fairways and greens... ie do you hit it right more than left.

This really is geeky but can really help you identify when you play your best, where you miss.

I've not done it myself

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Where you miss fw and greens is important although it doesn't distinguish between missing by a few feet (which is usually ok) and missing by 30 yards (which can be disasterous)

When I miss a fairway, 64% is left, 36% right. However, I know that if I hit a slice it tends to go more offline than a pull to the left.

When I miss a green: 28% left, 23% right,10% long, 39% short. This stat shows what many mid/high handicappers are guilty of: not taking enough club.

Another stat I always watch is % of holes par or better. I am running at 47% at the moment but 50% seems like an achievable target.

I swear by the stats and therefore happily reside in Geekville in the eyes of many. If you take the time to record them and analyse them you can find out a lot about your game.

NeilTappin

GM Staff
Visit site
I'm not sure that I agree with you about most amateurs not taking enough club. Whilst I agree that it does happen, most of us pick a club with the mindset that we will strike the ball well. If however, we don't hit the shot cleanly (which happens now again) we expect to come up short...

I also don't think people should allow for bad strikes. A poor contact might leave you 5 yards short or 25 yards short depending how bad it was... IMHO you can't build a good round by allowing for bad strikes.

It's my suspicion that pros probably miss the same ratio of greens short as amateurs do...

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's my suspicion that pros probably miss the same ratio of greens short as amateurs do...

Sorry Neil, but I disagree. I've been watching golf on the telly for years and I'm sure you don't see the pros chipping up from 10, 20 or 30 yards short having mishit their approach or tee-shot the way we might do. I've lost count of the times I've seen them play the second at Wentworth and if they don't hit the green, they're usually at the back.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
saddo's saddo's saddo's saddo's saddo's saddo's lols

If you think keeping your stats is sad, listen to this one. I have all my logo'd ballmarkers displayed in a couple of frames up in my hall. It's up to about 70 from various courses all over the world now. I officially claim the award for "Dweeb of the Month"

On the practical side, when I pass them, it does explain where all my dosh has gone..... given that each course probably represents about £50 in green fees. Scary but true.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use some stats like GIR, and putts per round but I am also aware of a syndrome called PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS where you are so wrapped up in the statistical part of the game you then forget to focus on the practical side that matters more.

I don´t know what my sand save % is, I just know I don´t want to land in the buggers. As for being short of the green and the % of up and down I have, I have made a conscious effort this season to go over the pin more often that not as when you watch the really good guys on telly, they rarely come up shy of the flag. Has it helped ? I think so. We as órdinary´golfers loose strokes on the green and surrounding area, thats where I leek 5-7 shots per round.