Non-qualifying score in handicap record.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
On Saturday 7th I entered the club's scheduled monthly Stablerord comp. Because of course conditions we we told to play 'pick, clean & place' everywhere, even in the rough. And therefore, that the comp would not be qualifying. Fair enough. However, I've noticed that the score appears in my handicap record - in both the England Golf app, and in the IG Golf app. I wasn't expecting this. It was a poor score and doesn't affect my handicap, except it now seems to be one of my 'most recent 20 scores' and is pushing my 'best eight' all one step closer to dropping out of the list.

Question is, should this score actually appear in my record? If yes, is there any way of telling that it is a non-qualifying score and not one of my 'recent 20' scores? (I don't seem to see anything that distinguishes it in either app?) Or do I have to wait until a 'best 8' score drops down into 21st place and my HI changes (or doesn't) before it becomes apparent? Or, is there a glitch in the system?

Advice appreciated. (Ps. The club have showed me something in their records, that seems to show the comp was indeed set up as a non-Q comp).

Jason.H

Visit site
We’ve been non qualy since November.
We enter scores on the club computer and nothing shows on EG. Did you enter scores on EG?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it is non-q, then it shouldn't even touch your handicap record.

Would advice club getting in touch with the ISV (IntelligentGolf, HDiD etc) to get them to look at it. If the comp is successfully set as non-q, it wouldn't upload any scores

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Your handicap sec has dropped a bollock, he should have made the comp non-q in the system, he clearly hasn't. You need to ask him to remove it from your record, as indeed he should be doing for everyone who played that day

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If it is non-q, then it shouldn't even touch your handicap record.

Would advice club getting in touch with the ISV (IntelligentGolf, HDiD etc) to get them to look at it. If the comp is successfully set as non-q, it wouldn't upload any scores

I'm guessing that this is the issue and its not been set correctly.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We signed in to the comp via the touchscreens in the clubhouse - and entered our scores via the same. Interestingly, I also entered a comp yesterday (a three club challenge, so obviously NQ) in the same manner. And entered the score. That comp is not showing in the record.

Seems like there's further conversation/correspondence to be had with the comps administrator...

NearHull

Visit site
On Saturday 7th I entered the club's scheduled monthly Stablerord comp. Because of course conditions we we told to play 'pick, clean & place' everywhere, even in the rough. And therefore, that the comp would not be qualifying. Fair enough. However, I've noticed that the score appears in my handicap record - in both the England Golf app, and in the IG Golf app. I wasn't expecting this. It was a poor score and doesn't affect my handicap, except it now seems to be one of my 'most recent 20 scores' and is pushing my 'best eight' all one step closer to dropping out of the list.

Question is, should this score actually appear in my record? If yes, is there any way of telling that it is a non-qualifying score and not one of my 'recent 20' scores? (I don't seem to see anything that distinguishes it in either app?) Or do I have to wait until a 'best 8' score drops down into 21st place and my HI changes (or doesn't) before it becomes apparent? Or, is there a glitch in the system?

Advice appreciated. (Ps. The club have showed me something in their records, that seems to show the comp was indeed set up as a non-Q comp).

Was it pick, clean and place on closely mown areas and pick, clean and replace in the general area?

Last edited:

NearHull

Visit site
if your club has the two appropriate Local Rules in place then the round could have been qualifying.

For scores to be acceptable for handicapping, the Local Rule may only allow the lie to be preferred on closely mown areas, within 6’’ of the original lie of the ball.

The Local Rule for marking, lifting, cleaning, and replacing on the same spot may be used anywhere within the General Area.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was it pick, clean and place on closely mown areas and pick, clean and replace in the general area?
No. It was 'preferred lies through the green' (to use an old phrase).

Have taken it up with them again as I happen to know that some folk have had handicap cuts as a result. I don't begrudge the folk their cut, but if it was NQ (which we know it was) , then it shouldn't have happened.

D-S

Visit site
Simply put, if the course was not correctly set up - as you have said this was the case due to the local rule in place - the committee must re open the competition adjust the settings and have the scores removed from the WHS portal. It was not a qualifying round and cannot be treated as such, irrespective of anyone who got cut etc. etc.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Simply put, if the course was not correctly set up - as you have said this was the case due to the local rule in place - the committee must re open the competition adjust the settings and have the scores removed from the WHS portal. It was not a qualifying round and cannot be treated as such, irrespective of anyone who got cut etc. etc.
Correct. The fact they haven't done this the minute they realised or first flagged to them is shambolic. New handicap sec required methinks

sjw

Visit site
Correct. The fact they haven't done this the minute they realised or first flagged to them is shambolic. New handicap sec required methinks

Admittedly I don't have a handicap and I certainly don't have a horse in this race... but shambolic? Time for a new secretary? Isn't that a bit of an overreaction?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Admittedly I don't have a handicap and I certainly don't have a horse in this race... but shambolic? Time for a new secretary? Isn't that a bit of an overreaction?
Not really. Based on what's been said here - decided a comp was non-qualifying / didn't set comp as non-qualifying / scores counted yet he didn't notice / issue flagged to H-Sec and he does nothing about it

What exactly is his role if he can't be bothered to do it properly, yes mistakes happen, but the guy is still sitting their like old king cole on his rock

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the OP, I'd just say I'm not getting out of my pram just yet. I've alerted the office and I'm sure they're looking into it. I'm assuming they are trying to find the glitch that causes the problem. I guess it's not easily findable. So, I'll give them a little time - as long as it gets sorted eventually. After all, it doesn't really have much effect on me personally, but if it's wrong, it's wrong.