Starting to compete

Starbox

Visit site
Hi, I've decided to get a handicap (1 more card to play) and start playing in competitions what should I be aware of ?

HPIMG

Visit site
Hi, I've decided to get a handicap (1 more card to play) and start playing in competitions what should I be aware of ?
People cheating and I’m being serious started playing in medals this year myself and two old boys were blatantly cheating. Some people are desperate for they wins lol

Starbox

Visit site
Golf is addictive and jumping in with 2 feet is what I'm good at? but golf can make you look a foul so steady as we go , I'm a little concerned about the word Bandit that seems to be loosely said regarding competitions ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For a comp;
  • Don't be late
  • Give yourself time to warm-up/stretch out
  • Don't tense up/get nervous
  • Take your time over your shot and move briskly in-between shots
  • Stand still & quiet when near someone else playing their shot
  • Do as much of your shot preparation and planning when others are playing their shots so you're ready to take your shot without added delay
  • If in doubt how to proceed for a ruling its ok to ask the others or check the rules app
  • Have fun

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
If an opponent in your group is having a great day, enjoy it, encourage them and wish them well.

Do not whinge about their handicap either to them or behind their back.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As a prev poster says the rules. At least get a rough idea of them, it's very easy to fall foul with silly mistakes that will cost you shots.

D

Deleted member 23270

I'm a little concerned about the word Bandit that seems to be loosely said regarding competitions ?
Put in lots of general play cards and your handicap will settle down pretty quickly.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Play a provisional ball if there’s a chance you won’t find the original. Not so bad in stableford as you can just blob, but essential in a medal unless you want to run back to the tee, hit another shot in front of the group behind whilst still trying to catch your breath from the 200 yard sprint.

* this may have happened to me once. Never again.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Play a provisional ball if there’s a chance you won’t find the original. Not so bad in stableford as you can just blob, but essential in a medal unless you want to run back to the tee, hit another shot in front of the group behind whilst still trying to catch your breath from the 200 yard sprint.

*After said provisional is hit - YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST STATE "I SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT THE FIRST TIME"

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're better off trying to completely forget it's a competition so you don't put any extra pressure on yourself. Other than the fact you'll have to play by the proper rules. Anything you're even 1% unsure on just check it with the guys in your group, if they're all satisfied then it should be all good.

Don't worry about you or anyone else being called a 'bandit' - 99% of the time it's not meant in it's true sense and it's just a word that gets thrown at anybody who has a good round that day.

RichA

Visit site
Enjoy it. It's usually a good laugh. If it's drawn then it's a good way to meet people at your club. Sometimes you win something.

While bandit refers to a person who artificially maintains a higher handicap than reflects their ability in order to win golf competitions, *certain types of golfer use it to refer to newer, improving golfers who record a good score.

* In my limited experience these people are artificially maintaining handicaps lower than reflects their ability for the purposes of ego, thus denying themselves the opportunity to win anything. Kind of inverted bandits. They are best ignored.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

I hit an overhead power line on Sunday (Medal) but didn’t realise as the ball dropped to the fairway in an area obscured by some trees. Was a good 100 yards further down the fairway when I realised and had to run all the way back to play again, by which point, the group behind were ready to tee off. Smashed the re-take, ran back down the fairway then sliced my approach into the water on the right while gasping for oxygen. ?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeh, as others have said, enjoy it. I love playing in comps, much prefer it to casual rounds. Gets the competitive juices flowing, meet new people and the worst that can happen is that you have a bad round.