St Andrews Old Course as a single

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have looked through a couple of older threads on this, and googled it, but I wondered if anyone has any up to date info. I'm heading up to St Andrews at the end of September for the UKPCC event on the Eden course, which is played on the Sunday. I'll be arriving on Thursday evening, so have Friday and Saturday free.

At that time of year, does anyone know how difficult it will be to get on to the Old Course as a single? (Joining up with another group, of course). I'm well aware of the procedure - heading to the new starter building and registering early - but I don't really want to get there at 5am if there's no chance of it happening. Or am I asking 'how long is a piece of string?' :D

I'm hoping to get on there Friday, then play the Eden on the Saturday as a practice round. Or if I don't get on Friday, play the Eden that day and try for the Old Course again on Saturday morning.

Also, would you guys recommend a caddie?

Cheers :thup:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You didn't give exact dates but there's no ballot from the 10th of September till the 22nd due to events on the Old. https://www.standrews.com/play/busy-dates not sure if that effects the morning walk ups, someone else may be able to answer.

From what I've herd/read that you'll need to get there before 5 to try and get a good spot in the line, some people get there as early as 2 am I have seen, seems worth it if its your only chance to get on the Old.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
couldn't tell you about getting on as a single, but a caddie is a must if you have never played it and they don't allow trolleys before lunchtime. but then again you have to book a caddie in advance, so not sure how you would do that without a time booked.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have looked through a couple of older threads on this, and googled it, but I wondered if anyone has any up to date info. I'm heading up to St Andrews at the end of September for the UKPCC event on the Eden course, which is played on the Sunday. I'll be arriving on Thursday evening, so have Friday and Saturday free.

At that time of year, does anyone know how difficult it will be to get on to the Old Course as a single? (Joining up with another group, of course). I'm well aware of the procedure - heading to the new starter building and registering early - but I don't really want to get there at 5am if there's no chance of it happening. Or am I asking 'how long is a piece of string?' :D

I'm hoping to get on there Friday, then play the Eden on the Saturday as a practice round. Or if I don't get on Friday, play the Eden that day and try for the Old Course again on Saturday morning.

Also, would you guys recommend a caddie?

Cheers :thup:

I listened to the No Laying Up podcast on their Scotland visit in June. Peak season obviously.

I think they were getting there at 3:30am (although 1st tee off time is probably at 0630 at that time of year). They all got to play it, in separate groups.
You should listen to it, I think it is the 2nd of 3 or 4 podcasts on their trip around Scotland when they are in St Andrews.

The guys on the podcast (4 young Americans) had a 100% record from this strategy in 2 or 3 visits.

Probably depends on the weather as well. A bit of rain at that time of year obviously will deter a few folk. Especially Scottish residents that can try often.

I certainly intend to do something similar as soon as I have a handicap again. With the consolidation of probably getting onto one of the other courses if I don't get a spot.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You didn't give exact dates but there's no ballot from the 10th of September till the 22nd due to events on the Old. https://www.standrews.com/play/busy-dates not sure if that effects the morning walk ups, someone else may be able to answer.

From what I've herd/read that you'll need to get there before 5 to try and get a good spot in the line, some people get there as early as 2 am I have seen, seems worth it if its your only chance to get on the Old.

This may be the Dunhill Links and maybe some other amatuer championships on the Old Course.

If you don't get on to the Old Course, I would highly recommend the Strathyrum as warm up. Very enjoyable course, not the most difficult - but potentially good to build your confidence and is one of the cheaper courses to play at the venue.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This may be the Dunhill Links and maybe some other amatuer championships on the Old Course.

If you don't get on to the Old Course, I would highly recommend the Strathyrum as warm up. Very enjoyable course, not the most difficult - but potentially good to build your confidence and is one of the cheaper courses to play at the venue.

Dunhill is 1-8 of October that it is closed. That leaves the last week of September a possibility for the OP, but as they didn't give exact dates I checked the whole month via the link.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Did it once in July. Turned up at 6, 6th in line, out at 7.20. Highly recommend it, worth the wait to spend the time chatting with your fellow golfers. Only downside was about 2 minutes warning that you were off, time you’d paid it wasn’t a long warm up.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I’ll be trying my luck on Fri 28th and Sat 29th, which it seems are ok to play on. They might even have a grandstand or two up for the Dunhill :D

I listened to a Visit Scotland podcast on the subject of single play on the Old Course and it confirmed most of what we already know - get there early, accept you might not play, try not to venture off as you can get called at very late notice.

The trolley rule about them only being allowed after midday is true - it’s listed on their website. In all honesty, whilst I know a caddy would undoubtedly help me navigate my way round the course, I think the not having to carry part would actually be more helpful. I’m so used to an electric trolley now that the idea of carrying a bag for more than 9 holes doesn’t sound like fun.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
WIth the size of the double greens, it could be much quicker to walk with a carry bag in a straight line!

Im not disputing, I've played it often enough and it's bloody slow. Marshalls are hopeless in speeding up slow games.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did it 2 years ago, the time you turn up varies from day to day, I was told to go early by a guy who turned up at 3.30 to find 20 in the queue already, I wasthere at 2.30, 3rd in the queue, but when they opened there were only about 20 and we all got out.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fridays, Saturdays, and the week before and after both the Eden Tournament and the Dunhill always seem to be busiest for singles on the Old Course. You've picked the busiest possible combination of Fri/Sat+Dunhill but you've still got a chance. Just get to the Pavilion really early and give it a shot - it's always worth it and a caddy is an essential part of the experience in my opinion.

And as far as I know, the no trollies thing is more about wear on the often very small spaces between green and tee.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I was thinking that it would be busy as a result of the Dunhill, but it’s just the way it’s worked out with the competition I’m playing in. Does anyone know what’s the Eden course is like?

I’m thinking that I’ll get to the Old Course at about 5ish. I don’t mind getting up early but to those who get there at 0230 - you’re more committed than me!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wouldn't bother with a caddy of your own. If you are a single they will probably put you out with a group who already have a caddy.

If you don't have your own, borrow a carry bag and take a few clubs out if you need to.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was thinking that it would be busy as a result of the Dunhill, but it’s just the way it’s worked out with the competition I’m playing in. Does anyone know what’s the Eden course is like?

I’m thinking that I’ll get to the Old Course at about 5ish. I don’t mind getting up early but to those who get there at 0230 - you’re more committed than me!

I played the Eden earlier this year. A decent chunk of it runs next to the old course, so shares shares some of the same characteristics. There's a few new holes at the far end which are less interesting, but all in all its good fun. The first few holes in particular are great.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fridays, Saturdays, and the week before and after both the Eden Tournament and the Dunhill always seem to be busiest for singles on the Old Course. You've picked the busiest possible combination of Fri/Sat+Dunhill but you've still got a chance. Just get to the Pavilion really early and give it a shot - it's always worth it and a caddy is an essential part of the experience in my opinion.

And as far as I know, the no trollies thing is more about wear on the often very small spaces between green and tee.

This is my understanding too, plus the fact that double greens means all the trolley traffic would go the same way which would significantly increase wear. People with a carry bag just take the shortest route across the green.

On the OPs qu, when I was there in July, we were drawn in the ballot for a Saturday at 6:50am. The other two that were drawn to play with us didn't show up, but all the singles in the pavilion had already been allocated a tee time, so there would have been no wait at all. Fingers crossed you get lucky with it!

Last edited:

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance here, can someone keep me right, as a single you turn up at "x" o'clock and wait in a que, correct ? Then at sometime the starter, I assume goes down the que and calls you forward to get away ? Correct ? Then you pay the man that pays the man and off you pop ??

Is that how it works ? and if so, what's the financial burden ?