St Andrews 2023 - Budget Courses in Area?

Klimski

Visit site
+ to the Eden course. Our group had a great day on the Eden. It's a course that rewards good play but isn't overly punishing to small mistakes. And in 2022 at least, we found it great value.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could try Charleton GC - at Colinsburgh, just a couple of 3 woods inland from Dumbarnie Links. But at £35 its rather cheaper. A while since we played it but I though it nice enough.

Springveldt

Visit site
Anstruther - 9 hole course for £25 or £45 to play 18

Links with History Pass - can play Crail, Scotscraig, Lundin or Ladybank for £180 for 2 rounds.
I don’t usually watch him but that Golf Mates guy popped up on my feed last night and he has a video on Anstruther. Looks like a fun course.

I’ve also never heard anyone pronounce it they way he does.

Albo

Visit site
I think you'll struggle to get sensible tee times on the Eden at this late notice.
Not sure about that, we were there earlier in the year on the 3 day pass and got a great time in the Eden the day before, maybe this time of year more busy I suppose

peld

Visit site
Not sure about that, we were there earlier in the year on the 3 day pass and got a great time in the Eden the day before, maybe this time of year more busy I suppose
I contacted St Andrews on 24 January to ask for a tee time on the Eden for 21 May - and the earliest time they could offer me was 15.20

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I contacted St Andrews on 24 January to ask for a tee time on the Eden for 21 May - and the earliest time they could offer me was 15.20

They hold back tee times and only a small number of tee times are bookable that far in advance. Further times get released in numerous blocks 14, 7, 2 and 0 days in advance. It’s always worth phoning them because cancellations for visitors who’ve succeeded in the ballot mean times get free’d quite regularly.

It’s a busy place and they do as well as they can under the circumstances of high demand.

Anyone playing St Andrews thinking they can get a regular 9am 4-ball on a Saturday is, frankly, an idiot. :D

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IMO both St Michaels and Charleton are already good shouts for decent cheap golf that isn’t too far away from town. Charleton’s greens are generally excellent if small. St Michaels has a great back nine for very little money.
I’d also look at Scotscraig as they often have some good discounted afternoon times.
I could add that via GolfNow the Fairmont Kittocks course can be had at not too silly a budget but you have to be a fan of long boring par 4s to enjoy it.

rystaman

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for all the class suggestions, I'm going to be taking a look at a bunch of these tonight! Looks like I've got some decisions to make :D

rystaman

Visit site
They hold back tee times and only a small number of tee times are bookable that far in advance. Further times get released in numerous blocks 14, 7, 2 and 0 days in advance. It’s always worth phoning them because cancellations for visitors who’ve succeeded in the ballot mean times get free’d quite regularly.

It’s a busy place and they do as well as they can under the circumstances of high demand.

Anyone playing St Andrews thinking they can get a regular 9am 4-ball on a Saturday is, frankly, an idiot. :D
And tbf, because sunset will be almost 10pm and it'll just be me playing on my own, I can tee off whenever really.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Anstruther - 9 hole course for £25 or £45 to play 18

Links with History Pass - can play Crail, Scotscraig, Lundin or Ladybank for £180 for 2 rounds.

I am currently on their website trying to book. There is a phone number on there that is currently out of use which makes me think this offer is not available anymore.

would anyone on here know?

Cheers

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
I am currently on their website trying to book. There is a phone number on there that is currently out of use which makes me think this offer is not available anymore.

Cheers
Links with History pricing is on their website for May to September 2024 so must still be valid. Maybe try ringing one of the clubs involved.

rystaman

Visit site
Yup, i put this in the cost increase thread. Crail's prices have gone up 22% this year (ridiculous) so I'd guess that's the reason they're no longer part of this.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

Cheers
I played Anstruther last August, just rang up in the morning and got a tee time, to be honest it was pretty quiet , I think it is manned by members and there is no pro's shop.
Well worth going, it is a great little course.