St Andrews 2023 - Budget Courses in Area?

rystaman

Visit site
Morning all,

My missus surprised me yesterday and is taking me to St Andrews for a few nights over the May Bank Holiday weekend for my birthday and I’m very much looking to play some golf over that time.

However, in comparison to last year when I last looked, I can’t believe that there’s been around a 20% increase in Green Fees across the board, not just in St Andrews but at Elie also which is now at £100 for a round.

Can anyone suggest a few cheaper but good courses around the area? I was looking at the Strathtyrum and Eden course at St Andrews itself and we’re staying by Lundin Links but that’s £140 a round so out of my price range…

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Morning all,

My missus surprised me yesterday and is taking me to St Andrews for a few nights over the May Bank Holiday weekend for my birthday and I’m very much looking to play some golf over that time.

However, in comparison to last year when I last looked, I can’t believe that there’s been around a 20% increase in Green Fees across the board, not just in St Andrews but at Elie also which is now at £100 for a round.

Can anyone suggest a few cheaper but good courses around the area? I was looking at the Strathtyrum and Eden course at St Andrews itself and we’re staying by Lundin Links but that’s £140 a round so out of my price range…
I’m not working Monday 29th. Just trying to sort a game at Ladybank with PaddyC. You’re welcome to join us as a guest

D

Deleted member 31467

45 minutes north to Arbroath, decent links course at £70 a round. Carnoustie Burnside and Buddon (the 2nd and 3rd courses) both £75 a round. Not played the Buddon but the Burnside is decent and many people say it has the best par 3's on the complex. The 2nd course at Monifeith (Ashludie) is £55. Short, tight, tricky and lots of fun.

rystaman

Visit site
I’m not working Monday 29th. Just trying to sort a game at Ladybank with PaddyC. You’re welcome to join us as a guest
That's such a kind offer thank you mate. I'll speak to the Missus today to see what the plan is on the Monday as it's an 8-hour drive for us back down south so I might be pretty limited for time and wouldn't want to cause any issues!

rystaman

Visit site
45 minutes north to Arbroath, decent links course at £70 a round. Carnoustie Burnside and Buddon (the 2nd and 3rd courses) both £75 a round. Not played the Buddon but the Burnside is decent and many people say it has the best par 3's on the complex. The 2nd course at Monifeith (Ashludie) is £55. Short, tight, tricky and lots of fun.
I actually played the Ashludie when I came up to watch the Open last year, was completely burnt out and loved it! I'll take a look at the other courses. The Burnside looks a good shout!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Morning all,

If your wife plays golf too, there's a mixed open at St. Michaels in Leuchars (10 minute drive) on Sat 27th May with spaces available for £12.50 per player! It's really hilly, but an enjoyable course, as I understand it. If she doesn’t, you could contact them and see if any lady members wanted to join you (offer to pay their £12.50, as it's still almost half the price of a round there). Otherwise, tee times from £34, down to £15 from 5pm, and you may well finish as it's lighter longer up there, bookable 1 week in advance.
Drumoig (15 minutes drive) is a pretty good course and is £60 at the weekend.
Both of those are on the way to Dundee, so the missus could go for shopping if that's her thing, or St. Andrews is a nicer place to spend the day, I think.

evemccc

Visit site

Burnside is really good - the first 3/4 holes just ‘average’ but after that the turf, bunkering, strategy and holes are really very good

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Anstruther - 9 hole course for £25 or £45 to play 18

Links with History Pass - can play Crail, Scotscraig, Lundin or Ladybank for £180 for 2 rounds.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
There's an Open on at Leven Links on 28th May for £25.....looks to be full but might be worth an enquiry for the waiting list.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No idea what the costs are for these, but Monifieth is a great course and only the other side of Dundee. Personally if I were going to St Andrews I'd want to play links. I'd just push the boat out and play the new and the jubilee

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Loads of good options. I really enjoy burntisland and aberdour which can both be found for under £40. Further up the cost scale, jubilee, crail, lundin links are all good. Cant go wrong really.

rystaman

Visit site
If your wife plays golf too, there's a mixed open at St. Michaels in Leuchars (10 minute drive) on Sat 27th May with spaces available for £12.50 per player! It's really hilly, but an enjoyable course, as I understand it. If she doesn’t, you could contact them and see if any lady members wanted to join you (offer to pay their £12.50, as it's still almost half the price of a round there). Otherwise, tee times from £34, down to £15 from 5pm, and you may well finish as it's lighter longer up there, bookable 1 week in advance.
Drumoig (15 minutes drive) is a pretty good course and is £60 at the weekend.
Both of those are on the way to Dundee, so the missus could go for shopping if that's her thing, or St. Andrews is a nicer place to spend the day, I think.
I think after this trip she'll be expecting a ring in the coming months :D But no she doesn't unfortunately apart from a bit of putting here and there!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We played Burntisland on the way up to St Andrews. Nice course, great views and cheap as chips. We paid £15 as both it and our home course are in the James Braid Assoc.

Downfield and Scotscraig are close to St Andrews and meant to be decent and are both in the Assoc.

Klimski

Visit site
Kinghorn is a great experience and very affordable. +1 for Anstruther (aka Anster), highly recommended. Finally, Burntisland is high on my wish list.

Albo

Visit site
Can’t go wrong with the Eden at St Andrews, cost versus quality wise. I’d choose that over the Strath every day of the week.
I’d also push the boat out and play the new if you can afford it, it’s a great course and while not as famous as it’s older sister, every bit of good quality wise

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Not an answer to your question but if you find yourself with a free morning or afternoon, then I would definitely suggest The Secret Bunker. A very interesting place.