Spiked shoes or Spikeless?

evemccc

Visit site
As we begin to move into the golf season proper, come April, I wonder whether spiked or spikeless shoes are most popular and why?

I am going to buy a new pair of shoes and think I will go with spikeless…can’t see an advantage in spiked unless it’s very wet / muddy (and if it is, i will have my old spiked pair as backup)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Spiked for golf. Spike less when a few causal holes or range, and one pair shoes is more convenient.
But nothing beats the grip of a steel spike.

D

Deleted member 15344

spikeless all day long and you can get away with wearing most of them all year around

Pro SL as a good as most spiked shoes

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Spikeless currently for me. It's been great not having to change spikes (or trying and failing to unscrew the damn things!).
Skechers spikeless have seen me through the winter perfectly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spikeless for me, have been for a good few years now. I play on a pretty flat course but even so, I've not had issues on other courses either. They are just very comfy and there is no hassle with losing spikes 😄

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Our club banned metal spikes a number of years ago.
Some do some don't. If I go away and take the spikes I have to take spikeless as well. It's amazing how many clubs have nothing written into their dress code on their website but then on arrival at said club, despite nothing to inform you otherwise, someone will be along to inform you, "sorry, no metal spikes".

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Steel spikes such a rarity these days most clubs dont need to go to the bother of banning them as such. High profile clubs run with precision probably stricter, but you get away with them in so many clubs now with out issue.
Remember reading an (GM ?) article some years ago about how the occasional player in steel was actual good for greens. So I feel I am doing some good in mine.
But yes, when going away, always bring a pair of softspikes as well.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Spiked are the equivalent to diesel, soon to be a thing of the past. Spikeless for me.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
"The only real clue ....that a man is a scratch golfer is to be found in his shoes. They are of grained, black leather, dubbined rather than polished. They have Norwegian toe-caps, with a raised seam, and are fiercely armoured with long pointed spikes, like running shoes." The 3rd Baron Glenavy.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
"The only real clue ....that a man is a scratch golfer is to be found in his shoes. They are of grained, black leather, dubbined rather than polished. They have Norwegian toe-caps, with a raised seam, and are fiercely armoured with long pointed spikes, like running shoes." The 3rd Baron Glenavy.
1894? 🤣

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spikeless, there is no need at all for spikes anymore.
My course has lots of big slopes and spikeless are useless in winter.
i ended up on my back winded a few weeks ago because my spikeless just skidded down the slope.
so spikes in winter ,spikeless in summer or dry conditions.
it’s very course dependent imo.