(Sorry this has been done to death) The solution to slow play is slow play

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
After today I would add club pros to the list of problems. Played with 2 higher handicappers in a comp. Both had been to separate pros, both had been given extensive pre shot routines to follow. Ended up with my first ever 4.5 hour round at my club

I've no issues with a solid PSR, but these need to be taking place, where possible, while other players are playing their shots so they are ready to step in and play their shot when it's their turn. I've no issues with that. It's when they start doing it after the other player has hit his shot. It's these 45-60 seconds per hole per person that cause problems

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never does happen like that though. It is all designed to culminate in hitting the ball. Approach ball, look at shot, step back line yourself up, approach ball, go through your set up reminders and procedures, loosen up with a practice swing, hit the ball, repeat. Pros are teaching people to do this and I would say from today's experience having 2 people do that added 45 minutes to the round. As Snelly says so correctly, walk up, hit ball, repeat.

Oh and also take all markings off the golf ball. The amount of fannying around getting the line pointing the correct way to a tenth of a multimeter is getting silly.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh and also take all markings off the golf ball. The amount of fannying around getting the line pointing the correct way to a tenth of a multimeter is getting silly.

I must admit I hate the "lining up the ball" bit. I tried it for a couple of rounds but almost never set the ball down perfectly first time. I was so paranoid about not taking too long that I'd almost never step back and line up the ball again. This meant I was deliberately not quite hitting along the line of ball.

It was all too much faff for me, and I hate thinking that I'm holding up the group, so now when i replace the ball I make sure that the line on the ball (if visible at all) is nowhere even close to the line of the putt. It's stopped me second guessing myself so much.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I must admit I hate the "lining up the ball" bit. I tried it for a couple of rounds but almost never set the ball down perfectly first time. I was so paranoid about not taking too long that I'd almost never step back and line up the ball again. This meant I was deliberately not quite hitting along the line of ball.

It was all too much faff for me, and I hate thinking that I'm holding up the group, so now when i replace the ball I make sure that the line on the ball (if visible at all) is nowhere even close to the line of the putt. It's stopped me second guessing myself so much.

I don't worry too much about lining a mark up to the nth degree I do put the direction line down in view as I somehow prefer looking down on that than the manufacturers name