(Sorry this has been done to death) The solution to slow play is slow play

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played twice this weekend as the missus was out and about for the majority of the weekend. Lucky me.

Sat tee time was 9.30am - 2 ball.

Sun tee time 7.10am (3rd out) - 3 ball.

Both rounds were almost 5 hours. Hoebridge GC in Woking btw.

Saturday saw us play through a 4 ball on the 3rd hole. This meant we bumped into a 3 ball ahead, who weren't being played through another 3 ball, who weren't being played through by 2 4balls with buggies. Needless to say, come the back 9, my head, heart and anything else I might of had had left me.

Sunday, and here's the kicker, a 4 ball rocked up without a tee time and were let out in front of us. So our 7.10am became 7.20am. Fourball ahead had 2 buggies. Took almost 30 mins to play the 1st (par5). We asked to play through them on the 7th, and they sounded disgusted that I'd suggested it, even though they were a hole behind. By the time we got to the 10th, they caught up with the 4 ball on foot ahead. No letting through.

I was angry. I felt like a weekend of great weather and good course condition was wasted. Until we decided to take our time on the 16th hole.

We all walked to each others balls, no "ready golf". We all watched putts, chatted, looked for lost balls for a full 5 mins etc. The final 3 holes on Sunday were the best of the weekend.

I know a lot of you might argue we were irresponsible to do this, as it will have only held up the people behind us further. But there has to be a point where you put your own enjoyment of the game in front of others.

So the solution to slow play, is to play slow. Much much better golf, less waiting on shots (we waited on almost every shot all weekend), and generally not winding myself up about the rude / irresponsible / un-etiquetted(??) golfers on the course.

I actually left the course Sunday wishing that I didn't care about slow play as much as I do (I used to think it didn't bother me) and thinking that maybe next week I should play the whole round slow, so I get enjoyment out of my own game.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, your answer to what is widely regarded as one of the biggest issues currently affecting the game is to become part of the problem? Not just part of it, but to actively encourage it? Great stuff...

D

Deleted member 15344

I played twice this weekend as the missus was out and about for the majority of the weekend. Lucky me.

Sat tee time was 9.30am - 2 ball.

Sun tee time 7.10am (3rd out) - 3 ball.

Both rounds were almost 5 hours. Hoebridge GC in Woking btw.

Saturday saw us play through a 4 ball on the 3rd hole. This meant we bumped into a 3 ball ahead, who weren't being played through another 3 ball, who weren't being played through by 2 4balls with buggies. Needless to say, come the back 9, my head, heart and anything else I might of had had left me.

Sunday, and here's the kicker, a 4 ball rocked up without a tee time and were let out in front of us. So our 7.10am became 7.20am. Fourball ahead had 2 buggies. Took almost 30 mins to play the 1st (par5). We asked to play through them on the 7th, and they sounded disgusted that I'd suggested it, even though they were a hole behind. By the time we got to the 10th, they caught up with the 4 ball on foot ahead. No letting through.

I was angry. I felt like a weekend of great weather and good course condition was wasted. Until we decided to take our time on the 16th hole.

We all walked to each others balls, no "ready golf". We all watched putts, chatted, looked for lost balls for a full 5 mins etc. The final 3 holes on Sunday were the best of the weekend.

I know a lot of you might argue we were irresponsible to do this, as it will have only held up the people behind us further. But there has to be a point where you put your own enjoyment of the game in front of others.

So the solution to slow play, is to play slow. Much much better golf, less waiting on shots (we waited on almost every shot all weekend), and generally not winding myself up about the rude / irresponsible / un-etiquetted(??) golfers on the course.

I actually left the course Sunday wishing that I didn't care about slow play as much as I do (I used to think it didn't bother me) and thinking that maybe next week I should play the whole round slow, so I get enjoyment out of my own game.

That's the common attitude for the players who hold up the course - they only care about their enjoyment and their actions , they aren't bothered that their actions might affect other people's enjoyment of the game.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Works for me.

On busy days at the weekend, you can only play at the speed of the course. You can't play faster, and you will never be waved through. You just won't.

If you want a 2 1/2 hour round, play on Mondays, at 06.30.

I hate slow play too, but expectations have to be reasonable.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think what he is saying is if it's going to be slow round and you know it and can't do anything about it just slow yourself done and concentrate on your own golf and try not get too frustrated. That's ok if it's once in a blue moon but if it was a regular occurrence it would get tedious very quickly.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to agree a bit here. I have cut my slow play frustrations to playing at the pace the course is playing on any given day. Weekends can be slow so I pace myself to keep up with the group in front.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the solution to slow play is to make play even slower for the people behind you? Sounds legit.

So, your answer to what is widely regarded as one of the biggest issues currently affecting the game is to become part of the problem? Not just part of it, but to actively encourage it? Great stuff...

I know, it's BEING part of the problem. But what can you do? Preach to a fourball of blokes who clearly play twice a year that they are the number one problem in golf and that they need to learn the etiquette of golf before coming out on the course? Whilst sitting on the 7th tee?

The only person who had a bad time this weekend was me, not them. At least becoming ignorant to the problem meant I enjoyed the game.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, what he's actually saying is that he's actively going to play slowly next week. He won't want to be let through the group in front. He won't play at his natural pace.. He'll play slow social golf, and if anyone is stuck behind him then it's tough luck, because his enjoyment is more important than theirs..

I know that if I play a busy course at the weekend (or a forum meet which are always slow for some reason), then the pace is likely to be slow. I choose not to get annoyed by it.. I'm fairly calm about it.. However, I don't actively contribute to it by wandering around the course pretending it's a Sunday stroll around the local park..

Accept that the round might be slow, but you don't have to contribute to the problem...

D

Deleted member 15344

Weekends will be at a slower pace mainly due to numbers and competitions

If everyone is keeping up with the group in front then there is no issue - it will be the pace of the day. But all it takes ( and it happens every weekend ) is one group to lose a couple of holes and the impact of that will filter through the field - we see it regulary and with certain groups and people - they lose holes ( which itself isn't the biggest crime ) but they fail to look behind them to see that them slowing down backs up the whole field. We are about to send out the guidelines on the pace of the play from the R&A and inform certain regular offenders that they need to take heed of the guidelines or play at the end of the field.

Sometimes a bit of common sense goes a long way

Scenario - you are a fourball on the tee waiting to go off on your tee time and there is a 3 ball with two buggies behind you also waiting. So the question is - would you let the 3 ball go off in front of you knowing they will be quicker than you ?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know, it's BEING part of the problem. But what can you do? Preach to a fourball of blokes who clearly play twice a year that they are the number one problem in golf and that they need to learn the etiquette of golf before coming out on the course? Whilst sitting on the 7th tee?

The only person who had a bad time this weekend was me, not them. At least becoming ignorant to the problem meant I enjoyed the game.

Doesn't mean you have to become the problem though, does it? Man up, accept the issue exists, but try to limit your involvement in the problem...

irip

Head Pro
Visit site

If your going to play at weekends you have to accept that the pace of play is going to be slow, and somewhere like hoebridge that is a pay and play and has a reputation for slow play is going to take at least 5 hours to get round.

If i was booking to play there at the weekend i would expect this and be prepared for it, if i could not spare that amount of time or was not prepared to wait all the way round then i would not of played.

Did the time it take suprise you?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, what he's actually saying is that he's actively going to play slowly next week. He won't want to be let through the group in front. He won't play at his natural pace.. He'll play slow social golf, and if anyone is stuck behind him then it's tough luck, because his enjoyment is more important than theirs..

I know that if I play a busy course at the weekend (or a forum meet which are always slow for some reason), then the pace is likely to be slow. I choose not to get annoyed by it.. I'm fairly calm about it.. However, I don't actively contribute to it by wandering around the course pretending it's a Sunday stroll around the local park..

Accept that the round might be slow, but you don't have to contribute to the problem...

I don't think actively playing slow is quite right. Sure, I won't play at my normal pace, as clearly that means I'll be up the arse of the group in front all day, and won't get played through. If I lost a hole I'd let the group play through, I'm not going to throw the etiquette out the window.

And yes, my enjoyment is top priority. We can't all be saviours of golf, putting our enjoyment at the bottom of the priority list so other golfers can slightly enjoy their round more.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your going to play at weekends you have to accept that the pace of play is going to be slow, and somewhere like hoebridge that is a pay and play and has a reputation for slow play is going to take at least 5 hours to get round.

If i was booking to play there at the weekend i would expect this and be prepared for it, if i could not spare that amount of time or was not prepared to wait all the way round then i would not of played.

Did the time it take suprise you?

It did. I had a chat with the vice captain a few weeks back and he said get out before 8am to get a good paced round. That has happened once... the day we were 1st ones out at 7am a few weeks back. Only been a member there since Feb, and it now seems that a round just shy of 5 hours is the norm :rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

No excuse for the Sunday round to take near 5 hours. Pathetic.

Well there are a number of courses that has 5 hours as their regular time mainly because of the make up of the course. I don't always think it's the length of time because I have gone round in 5 hours before but not waited on any shot and just kept up with the group in front and had no one waiting behind - that was the pace of that course - so five hours without being held up or waiting is ok but 5 hours on a course that should take 4 hours and where you are waiting on every shot is a different prospect

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well there are a number of courses that has 5 hours as their regular time mainly because of the make up of the course. I don't always think it's the length of time because I have gone round in 5 hours before but not waited on any shot and just kept up with the group in front and had no one waiting behind - that was the pace of that course - so five hours without being held up or waiting is ok but 5 hours on a course that should take 4 hours and where you are waiting on every shot is a different prospect

I agree with this - if the course was set up like a dog, was really long, had some horribly tricky par 3's or super long par 4's... but this course isn't like that. I used to be a member at Merrist Wood GC in Guildford, and that was a longer course with most things off the fairway buried and dead. That course was tough, especially in the summer months when the rough was at it's longest, or the depths of winter with the winds into you. But that still was quicker than this course!

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
It did. I had a chat with the vice captain a few weeks back and he said get out before 8am to get a good paced round. That has happened once... the day we were 1st ones out at 7am a few weeks back. Only been a member there since Feb, and it now seems that a round just shy of 5 hours is the norm :rofl:
I do know hoebridge and it has a bad reputation for slow play. It is difficult to get on a course at weekends without being a member and hoebridge fills the gap as being a decent course at a decent price that accepts nomad golfers at weekends.

They do seem to be all about the money and squeeze as many as they can get on at all times ( i think 7 minutes between tee times).

I dont think 5 hours for a round is ever acceptable but it is something that is common place at hoebridge, so if you want to play there at weekends its a price you have to pay.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think there is a difference between playing deliberately slow when there is room in front of you (which is a big NONO and you should never ever do) or relaxing into a given situation where you are stuck behind a slower group or a whole string of groups where playing through is not an option. In the second case it is much better to take your time over your shots and maybe even socialize a bit than getting more and more annoyed that you cannot uphold your usual pace.

The thing is: putting stress on the players in front of you by playing balls into their heels or rushing up to the tee while they are still teeing off is not going to make things faster. Ever. It will very likely make them lose whatever momentum they have left and will make them hit more bad shots as a result of it, slowing things down even further. So relaxing and giving up on the idea of a 3 1/2 h round on a Sunday will help everyone (and minimize the risk of developing ulcers and high blood pressure).

Slow play may not be the solution to slow play in general, but acceptance of pace of play in a given situation will lead to more enjoyment for everyone envolved and that will make the time seem shorter.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Those courses are not all that common. hillside is the longest I've taken to play a round of golf. That was 5 hours, waited all day long.

5 hours as the 3rd or 4th tee time is a joke.