(Sorry this has been done to death) The solution to slow play is slow play

D

Deleted member 15344

Whilst admiring your clubs pro active stance in addressing the slow play issue I suspect your replies /comments from members so far will be from those that don't need telling and those to who it really applies will not be bothered to comment/reply as it's not us that are slow .

I have no doubt about it - it may make more aware but if we put everything into place so that when someone is sanctioned we can point to the polite letters and the notices and say - you were warned.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Exactly what I did. If I got something like that it would end up in the bin unread... Just had another go at it, and didn't finish again. It's way too fluffy wordy.

I guess it wasn't put together by a marketeer. If my marketing manager came into my office with that we'd be having a very direct conversation.

Not sure about "fluffy", more like woffle, by the time you get to the end you've forgot what was at the beginning, it's far too long and would get filed very quickly in the bin, like a lump of grisle, too much to chew over and even harder to swallow.

I agree with Ben, to those that's it's targeted towards are hardly going to reply or respond, even if they did attempt to read, understand and absorb it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't like this bit...
"the way we do things around here"

I'd be tempted to tell you to poke it.

Why what exactly is wrong with it - just saying how we want things to happen at our club - which is follow the guidelines set out by R&A and use common sense and courtesy of others.

I am in no doubt anything the car tries will be dismissed - it's a running theme , but then the same that dismiss it will be the first to cry about slow play and ask why aren't the club doing anything.

As Diablo says - you would think we were asking players to play slowly to ensure everyone's enjoyment of the game is ruined.

Can I ask ( general question ) - what are your clubs doing to combat any slow play or etiquette issues.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Why what exactly is wrong with it - just saying how we want things to happen at our club - which is follow the guidelines set out by R&A and use common sense and courtesy of others.

I am in no doubt anything the car tries will be dismissed - it's a running theme , but then the same that dismiss it will be the first to cry about slow play and ask why aren't the club doing anything.

As Diablo says - you would think we were asking players to play slowly to ensure everyone's enjoyment of the game is ruined.

Can I ask ( general question ) - what are your clubs doing to combat any slow play or etiquette issues.

We get long emails from our Chairman, which I am more than happy to read. Good chap, member for 40 years, and knows what he is talking about. I always read anything the club take the trouble to send me, as I like to know what is going on. Mostly I agree, occasionally not, but at least I am always being informed. Nothing slow play specific, though there may be reminders in the emails.

D

Deleted member 15344

We get long emails from our Chairman, which I am more than happy to read. Good chap, member for 40 years, and knows what he is talking about. I always read anything the club take the trouble to send me, as I like to know what is going on. Mostly I agree, occasionally not, but at least I am always being informed. Nothing slow play specific, though there may be reminders in the emails.

Summed it up well - people read what their clubs sends them if they have any interest in the club - especially when it comes from the President or Chairman

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Summed it up well - people read what their clubs sends them if they have any interest in the club - especially when it comes from the President or Chairman

It's this attitude that drives me mad about my golf club.

If YOU have any interest in YOUR club.
What can YOU do for YOUR club

I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll stump up a hefty chunk of cash every year so that it contributes to the running of the club and the wages of those who are employed by it.

Now tell me, what are YOU doing to justify my cash?

D

Deleted member 15344

It's this attitude that drives me mad about my golf club.

If YOU have any interest in YOUR club.
What can YOU do for YOUR club

I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll stump up a hefty chunk of cash every year so that it contributes to the running of the club and the wages of those who are employed by it.

Now tell me, what are YOU doing to justify my cash?

Trying to make it as best as possible and as enjoyable as possible but for to happen it needs more than money.

If you don't have any interest in what's happening at the club then I expect you won't read anything they say.

No wages are paid to the committee who help run the club.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trying to make it as best as possible and as enjoyable as possible but for to happen it needs more than money.

If you don't have any interest in what's happening at the club then I expect you won't read anything they say.

No wages are paid to the committee who help run the club.

You're well suited to committee

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

That is a rather arrogant statement Phil, especially the "if they have any interest in the club." I first started on committee in '86, and have probably missed 5 years in that time through choice. That doesn't mean I've agreed with everything that's come out of committee nor read everything word for word.

to have someone question my commitment to golf and to the clubs I've served which such an offhand comment doesn't sit well, nor does it paint the vast majority of hard working committee men and women in a good light.

I've seen many high handed notices down the years, all well intentioned, that have rightly been sniggered at. But I'll give you a little exercise in how notices are ignored. Next time you're in the club ask a few members if they've read xyz on the notice board? You'll be mightily disappointed in the answer.

Talking with, not to, the members, rather than hiding behind notices, achieves far more.

D

Deleted member 15344

That is a rather arrogant statement Phil, especially the "if they have any interest in the club." I first started on committee in '86, and have probably missed 5 years in that time through choice. That doesn't mean I've agreed with everything that's come out of committee nor read everything word for word.

to have someone question my commitment to golf and to the clubs I've served which such an offhand comment doesn't sit well, nor does it paint the vast majority of hard working committee men and women in a good light.

I've seen many high handed notices down the years, all well intentioned, that have rightly been sniggered at. But I'll give you a little exercise in how notices are ignored. Next time you're in the club ask a few members if they've read xyz on the notice board? You'll be mightily disappointed in the answer.

Talking with, not to, the members, rather than hiding behind notices, achieves far more.

Not once have I questioned your commitment nor suggested that everyone had to agree with what the club has said

We have talked to members and certainly not hidden behind notices or anything of the sort

All the club is trying to achieve is enjoyment for all but this thread has been full of people dismissing at the drop of a hat

Far too many are attempting and getting close to making this personal in regards the poster as opposed to what a club is trying to achieve.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not once have I questioned your commitment nor suggested that everyone had to agree with what the club has said

We have talked to members and certainly not hidden behind notices or anything of the sort

All the club is trying to achieve is enjoyment for all but this thread has been full of people dismissing at the drop of a hat

Far too many are attempting and getting close to making this personal in regards the poster as opposed to what a club is trying to achieve.

Think of this post the next time you jump all over Delc ;)

https://youtu.be/NHOf3s70w-c

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IT comes across as ruling with an iron fist, do as we say.......

how we do things round here doesn't come across friendly at all and I for one wouldn't want to be part of that attitude.

D

Deleted member 15344

IT comes across as ruling with an iron fist, do as we say.......

how we do things round here doesn't come across friendly at all and I for one wouldn't want to be part of that attitude.

So don't you believe all clubs have a consitution and rules that are to be followed ?

What we are asking for is members to follow the R&A guidelines - whats wrong with that attitude ?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a way of going about, saying and passing it on to the members!

I can can only go by my club and to be honest there isn't much of an issue, unlike your club by the sound of it. I got more issues with players not being responsible in replace, repair and rake not being adhered to then some group losing ground, which maybe a by product of hurrying players to get round a certain time for the enjoyment of others yet divots, pitch marks and unraked bunkers are on the increase.

D

Deleted member 15344

There's a way of going about, saying and passing it on to the members!

I can can only go by my club and to be honest there isn't much of an issue, unlike your club by the sound of it. I got more issues with players not being responsible in replace, repair and rake not being adhered to then some group losing ground, which maybe a by product of hurrying players to get round a certain time for the enjoyment of others yet divots, pitch marks and unraked bunkers are on the increase.

And that's all part of the etiquette guidelines set out by the R&A

Maybe your club should communicate out to the members :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Spieth moaning to his caddie that he's on the clock and wants to take his time more and feels rushed leading to errors! Your on the clock for a reason sunshine, so crack on....

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe it should and possibly will, but it'll be in a more friendly manner then what I've been reading.