Solo golfers

Albo

Visit site
Conscious the other thread was being hijacked so starting a dedicated one.

So I am predominantly a solo golfer, I enjoy solo golf, often times I’d say a prefer it, though not all the time.
I enjoy being able to get away from it all listen to an audio book or music and switch off from life!
I play solo probably 3 times a week on average and enjoy every moment of it. I do play a lot of golf and the guys I play regularly with for one reason or another can’t or don’t want to play that much golf. Which leaves me in the position of either solo golf or finding random people to play with. I will always choose solo golf, I don’t like playing with strangers because I hate stinted conversations and find 3+ hours of that quiet torturous, I am happy and comfortable with my own company. The single drawback I can think of is sometimes I lose the flight of my ball especially into low winter sun which can lead to the odd lost ball.

I am aware that some (many?) members here don’t like solo golf and I welcome opinions and reasons on both sides of the fence.

Who knows maybe we can convince some solo’s to try a rollup or some none solo players to give solitude a chance once in a while. Or maybe it will turn into another mud slinging thread, I hope not

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

So I am predominantly a solo golfer, I enjoy solo golf, often times I’d say a prefer it, though not all the time.
I enjoy being able to get away from it all listen to an audio book or music and switch off from life!
I play solo probably 3 times a week on average and enjoy every moment of it. I do play a lot of golf and the guys I play regularly with for one reason or another can’t or don’t want to play that much golf. Which leaves me in the position of either solo golf or finding random people to play with. I will always choose solo golf, I don’t like playing with strangers because I hate stinted conversations and find 3+ hours of that quiet torturous, I am happy and comfortable with my own company. The single drawback I can think of is sometimes I lose the flight of my ball especially into low winter sun which can lead to the odd lost ball.

I am aware that some (many?) members here don’t like solo golf and I welcome opinions and reasons on both sides of the fence.

Who knows maybe we can convince some solo’s to try a rollup or some none solo players to give solitude a chance once in a while. Or maybe it will turn into another mud slinging thread, I hope not

I work in a school and as such get a lot of the holidays off to myself with friends still at work most days - so I get out by myself a lot!

I love it, I often stick on the radio or a podcast on my phone which helps with the occasional boredom when walking you your ball.

Usually a pretty quick round too, I can do our track in about 2 hours 40 going at a steady pace working my way round the course and playing through the odd group.

I also think its where I improve the most, I try things I normally wouldn't and can replay any really awful shots if I feel I need to get my head around something.

I certainly wouldnt play solo every round, I do like nothing more than a good 4 ball with mates all taking the mick etc, but I do love my solo rounds.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've played loads of solo golf down the years...
Being self employed for the last 20 years I've had control over my working hours and it's always been easy to schedule enough time for a round.
I still played twice a week with others though..
Now I'm out most days, even if it's only for 9 - but not today as it's rank out there .
Probably 4 games with others so at least 2 solo - and I love it.
Its when I practice..I get bored on the range and much prefer to hit shots on the course
I can practice a shot to seemi can pull it off, if I can then I knowmi can use it in my next proper game.
During the summer, on solo days, I was out at 5am and home by 8....nobody around, even beat the greenkeepers most mornings...
It's my time for taking my mind off the hook.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In my early golf I used to be more solo than 'polo' Still perfectly happy to play as a single but don't get much opportunity and given how busy the current home course is, it would make for lengthy rounds. Also paying green fees each time means I'd rather hit the practice area for 2-3 hours over playing 18 as a single

Most of my golf now is in social 4-ball with a small pool of regular mates, with one or two drawn 4-ball comp round per month too
My wife also took up golf a few months back so I'm enjoying playing 'couples' golf too which is a whole different golf experience

Not sure when I'd be likely to play next solo round, it might be quite some time but I'm sure I'll enjoy it when it comes round

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have two mates who joined my club with me, usually one or both of them are available for our weekend round. If they are not but there is a competition on, I'd probably join the comp and play in a group with some other members. But if neither of those are an option I'll happily play on my own. I used to play weekday evenings nine holes on my own too, until my wife started taking an interest and then she started coming out with me on some of those.

I don't mind playing on my own but I never take any time over it. I'll re-hit shots for practise, and on the greens I barely even line it up, just knock it towards the hole and then pick it up if it doesn't go in. So it's alright for practise but worthless in terms of getting a score.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I don't seem to concentrate unless there is some kind of competition, even friendly competition, so my solo golf is always terrible. Consequently, I don't bother.

As one of the loners. This is what I see as the beauty of golf. There is always competition, whether that is against the course, your handicap or your personal best.

HPIMG

Visit site
I play around 50% of my games solo and I do enjoy playing with people for company but everyone I seem to play with are bad at golf so it can be frustrating at times. I probably slightly prefer to play on my own and enjoy trying to beat myself.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Love playing on my own - more as a form of spiritual therapy than practice. At my core I’m a pretty solitary though not lonely person, and so for me there is nothing to beat than being out round the turn and at the highest point of our track of a lovely summers evening. In the peace and quiet surrounded by heather and pines with lovely views out.

At such times I reflect on how fortunate I am, for the breaks that have gone my way through life (and lack of bad breaks) that often I might not have deserved, and I thank my parents for the hard work and support they gave me to enable me to make the best version of me as possible. I haven’t yet succeeded in that but doing OK working towards it these days. And being by myself on the golf course I can reflect and take stock.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't seem to concentrate unless there is some kind of competition, even friendly competition, so my solo golf is always terrible. Consequently, I don't bother.

Ironically we have a difference of opinion on one thread yet I completely agree with this.

If I’m playing solo golf I just tend to play bogey golf against the course. It keeps it quick and light hearted while maintaining a level of focus. You can hack for 10 holes and still beat the course.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'm another who enjoys solo golf, I finish work early on Fridays and will often have a solo round before heading to pick the littlun up from my mums.

I usually score better solo as well, probably the lack of waiting around and just getting to my ball, checking my watch or zapping the flag, picking a club and hitting it. When I'm with others that slower pace and watching their shots not quite come off puts doubt in my mind.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
There’s always the downside of playing golf with others, you know when you’re drawn with someone that can smack it miles, just not in the direction of the hole in play, they have protracted PSR & are a tad short on rules knowledge plus they prattle on about this and that when they should be moving… that’s usually gonna make solo golf seem quite appealing

Of course then there’s the times when you’re drawn with someone who always hits it straight, is quick over their shot, knows the game & great to chat to… that’s when you need to ask yourself if you’re actually the other fella being described above :sneaky:

Swango1980

Visit site

No issue with solo golfers, although not sure we'd want to encourage groups of non solo golfers to try solo golf. Can you imagine turning 3 fourballs into 12 singles? OK, the rounds should be quicker (although inevitable held up by bigger groups around the course anyway), but suddenly you'd be taking up 12 tee time slots instead of 3. I know it is difficult enough at some clubs to get a tee time.