Solo golfers

Albo

Visit site
I might be being stupid here, but for those of you who say you listen to podcasts or music when playing solo.. how do you hear fore shouts?! Surely you’re risking having a very painful round by having earphones in?! :D
It’s true I run that risk

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like to just go when I want and play a few holes alone.
Trying shots out.
But I love comp golf with friends sat and wed.
But I often take some lunch and sit on our 13 tee bench and just take it in.
We play a sport on the most beautiful scenery imaginable I just think I am very lucky.
I do like a bit of peace and quiet on my own now and again.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many years ago when I first started playing, nearly all my rounds were solo - simply because I didn't know anyone. I quite enjoyed it. But now I don't think I'd bother playing alone. I simply don't find it a satisfying experience. Like several others, iI I'm on my own I'll likely go to a range.

As a total aside - why can I often not find my ball when playing alone? I can see where I hit it as well as I can as when playing with others. And it's nothing to do with others helping look. Nor with it being buried in the cabbage. I just walk to where it should be but if solo seem less likely to find it?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've just looked at the tee sheet for the next few days at my place and i'd say tomorrow is 50% members playing solo. Saturday is slightly less (at the moment) and Sunday is probably 1/3 solo members.

I've heard they are going to try and get more of the members going out in groups to free up more tee times

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just looked at the tee sheet for the next few days at my place and i'd say tomorrow is 50% members playing solo. Saturday is slightly less (at the moment) and Sunday is probably 1/3 solo members.

I've heard they are going to try and get more of the members going out in groups to free up more tee times

They all booked singles hoping you’d join them ?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't seem to concentrate unless there is some kind of competition, even friendly competition, so my solo golf is always terrible. Consequently, I don't bother.

I used to be like this until I started playing against the course in matchplay (bogey format know to many) getting appropriate strokes etc. Found it helped immensely. Also began dropping a 2nd ball greenside and tried to get up and down in a matchplay scenario where the course made par and I got strokes on appropriate holes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to be like this until I started playing against the course in matchplay (bogey format know to many) getting appropriate strokes etc. Found it helped immensely. Also began dropping a 2nd ball greenside and tried to get up and down in a matchplay scenario where the course made par and I got strokes on appropriate holes.
If I want a more ‘competitive’ edge to being out myself I often play bogey format…a good challenge and a format I enjoy…it’s tough.

Reactions: Val

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's effectively matchplay against the course, course is scratch and always makes par
People always say this and it makes no sense to me. I still never knew what it meant until I actually played one.

@Dando Net birdie or better means you get a +1. Net bogey or worse you get a -1. It is sometimes odd because there's no point going aggressive trying to make a birdie putt on a shot hole for example, as two-putting for par and net birdie gets you the same result. Similarly if you have a tricky ish putt for net par, you might as well stick some pace on it since the putt back is worthless.

CountLippe

Visit site
I don't get to play much solo golf, but when I do its a chance to enjoy golf for what it is, take in the peaceful surroundings and not worry about anything. I probably don't score my best, but it doesn't really matter.

John Evans 9

Visit site
We’ve all played solo when we don’t have a partner but it’s nowhere near as good. It’s the same with golf.

It’s my perception though, that more and more solo golfers are booking tee-times and at this time of year it’s a particular problem as the days are shortening. When members do this some ( not all ) will join others but visitors seem reluctant to join in. Or perhaps the pro is reluctant to encourage them to do so.
I’m not against solo golfers in general but at this time of year they are an absolute pain. There just isn’t enough time in the day to keep on waving through faster soloists.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I might be being stupid here, but for those of you who say you listen to podcasts or music when playing solo.. how do you hear fore shouts?! Surely you’re risking having a very painful round by having earphones in?! :D
There’s usually nobody anywhere near me on the course when I’m out myself and so don’t bother with earphones…just have it at a volume I can hear, and I turn it right down or off if anyone comes anywhere in my vicinity.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

At our club you have to book all players in otherwise you could be sharing a tee time. i.e. if I see a 3ball when I want to play, I can book into the remaining slot. A bit like a virtual ball in shoot situation.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At our club you have to book all players in otherwise you could be sharing a tee time. i.e. if I see a 3ball when I want to play, I can book into the remaining slot. A bit like a virtual ball in shoot situation.

You can do that at my club too but some block out the other 3 spots

sjw

Visit site

I just only put one headphone in

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

People shouting doesn’t mean you’re not going to get hit. I’ve shouted fore and still his someone, similarly I’ve bee hit when someone shouted and seen the same happen to others.

I sometimes play with headphones in, but at my home course there are very few holes where there is a danger of being hit. At my old course it was a constant danger so I probably wouldn’t. Same as I never rode my bike on the road with headphones in as I liked to be aware of everything going on around me.