Solo golfers

RichA

Visit site
I used to really enjoy solo rounds. Since I've fallen in with a really good, small crowd, I've found that I now actually get a bit bored playing golf alone.
If nobody else is available, I'm more likely to just hit the range for an hour these days.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I play 3 times a week with friends, and while it can be difficult to find the time I play as often as I can on my own. Always during quiet times, never at peak times, my favourite as has been said above is late on a warm summer's evening, probably very few people out, I can wander where ever I want hitting any shot I want.
There are times when I find myself with glorious weather and an empty course that the only thing that will get me off the course is dusk.

Swango1980

Visit site
I used to really enjoy solo rounds. Since I've fallen in with a really good, small crowd, I've found that I now actually get a bit bored playing golf alone.
If nobody else is available, I'm more likely to just hit the range for an hour these days.
Snap

For the first few years, I would often play golf after work, and happily play on my own. Get the practice in, wouldn't think anything of it.

However, got to know lots of golfers, and basically there are people I know pretty much playing all the time. Certainly at weekends. I haven't played solo in years now. I'd just find it dull, I like to have a bit of competition and a bit of banter as I go round. Plus, I need someone to mark my card, now that I like to submit my general play scores for handicap.

The other issue with playing solo golf was that if a group let me through, I'd feel pretty rushed. It was nice of them, but sometimes I was happy enough to take it slowly, as I was using it to practice. Although, even if I wasn't really bothered about being let through, I felt I really would often need to take them up on that offer, in case another group (faster than the one in front) caught up with me, as then I'd be in a solo sandwich, and the guys behind would be wondering why I wasn't getting let through, as they'd also like to get let through.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think solo golf is definitely for quiet times I don't like feeling Im occupying the course in a solo spot when the course is busy . Fortunately there are quite a few quiet times at the course .What do other people play when they are solo? Personally I quite often play bogey and find ita good way of challenging oneself when playing solo.

Reactions: Val

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I enjoy playing golf on my own. It gets me out in the country where I can soak up the sights and the smells and take a little bit more time to enjoy my surroundings. Worked for me especially in the evenings after work as I could never guarantee exactly when I'd make it to the course. I would never consider it at peak busy periods but once the main rush has died down and there are plenty of gaps on the tee sheet then yeah...after 3pm then no issues.

Sometimes I play simple strokeplay sometimes espeically if I know I wont get a full 18 holes in (you can walk off at 13 on my place) then I might play a two ball worse ball scramble....hit two shots, pick the worst of them and play two from there...pick the worst of those...etc etc. Its especially tough when you drain a 30 footer for par and then realise that it counts for nothing unless you do it again!!!

Albo

Visit site
I think solo golf is definitely for quiet times I don't like feeling Im occupying the course in a solo spot when the course is busy . Fortunately there are quite a few quiet times at the course .What do other people play when they are solo? Personally I quite often play bogey and find ita good way of challenging oneself when playing solo.
I pretty much always play stroke play, my golf bobs around the 80 mark so it’s always a challenge to try and break 80, don’t always do it but it’s nice when it happens!
I pretty much always play stroke play these days, as a junior I used to play stableford but found that gave me a reason to quit on a hole, stroke play makes every shot count, turning a likely triple into a double with a up and down from the sand or whatnot. It makes me a better player

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I occasionally play solo went I want to practice I often play with just a couple of irons and a wedge or use a 3 wood off the deck for all tee shots and longer fairway shots, I normally aim to finish short of the green to get some short wedge practice.

I always pick a quiet time on the course, with our 9 hole course that is very easy but with our 18 hole course not so, mainly late Saturday and Sunday afternoons in summer I find the quietest. One of the things I like about it is it's quick golf, last time I did it was 1hr 40 for 18 holes.

Swango1980

Visit site
I never did any scoring when I played solo. Well, maybe when I very first started the game, just to see what sort of scoring I was capable of. However, after a while, it became pointless. I only keep score if I am in competition with something. So, I just basically went out and hit golf balls. Depending on who was around me and pace of play, might his several shots each time instead of one. Might practice a certain yardage, or throw a load of balls near one of the greens and hit half a dozen or so chips.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t mind playing solo every now and again, but couldn’t do it all the time, I’d get really bored. The reason (one of) I joined a golf club was for the social side rather than just playing golf.

My brother in law has joined 3 different golf clubs in as many years, always plays on his own, never lasts more than a few months before knocking it on the head until the next ‘new member’ offer comes up.

Each to their own I guess.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
I usually play on my own for the following reasons:
- I'm still pretty sh*t at golf and don't feel 'ready' to play in competitions without embarrassing myself
- I have 3 kids and work full time, if I manage to carve out some time it's usually important for me to get round relatively quickly, at relatively unsociable hours
- Golf is pretty much the only activity I do which helps me completely switch off from the stresses and strains of work, kids, etc. All I am thinking about on a solo round is hitting a white ball, absolutely love it.

When I get a bit better and/or the kids have grown up a bit, it would be nice to play with people a bit more often

Swango1980

Visit site
I usually play on my own for the following reasons:
- I'm still pretty sh*t at golf and don't feel 'ready' to play in competitions without embarrassing myself
- I have 3 kids and work full time, if I manage to carve out some time it's usually important for me to get round relatively quickly, at relatively unsociable hours
- Golf is pretty much the only activity I do which helps me completely switch off from the stresses and strains of work, kids, etc. All I am thinking about on a solo round is hitting a white ball, absolutely love it.

When I get a bit better and/or the kids have grown up a bit, it would be nice to play with people a bit more often
I'm not sure what your handicap is, or if you have one. But, I'd be reasonably confident to say I wouldn't worry about this aspect. There are plenty of players in competitions who are probably worse, with higher handicaps, who play worse gold and shoot poorer gross scores. That is handicap club golf. Then, every now and then they have a good round.

NearHull

Visit site
In my 32 years of playing I’ve never played a single hole solo. In my early days, i thought it wouldn’t be helpful to play on my own as I would want to look for the ball early. Nowadays, I couldn’t imagine playing alone - for me it’s a social sport.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Most of my golf is played in some form of company; weekends are normally a 4 ball better ball match with friends where pretty much anything goes on the mickey taking front. If not that then 4BBB club matches, or with fellow competitors if it's a competition. Tuesday evenings is a social roll up where the banter is much the same as weekends.

I will sometimes go up of an evening to practice on my own if I'm working on something (Mrs BiM will sometimes come & supervise if it's a nice evening & she thinks there's a free drink in it :)), but if I do that on my own & see one of my mates doing the same then we'll normally pair up.

When I was younger I'd go out on my own a lot more just to play, now I find more pleasure in playing with others; maybe it's an age thing? I understand why some people prefer to play solo, but it's not something I could only do anymore.

D

Deleted member 23270

A few holes on my own is fine now and again but to me golf is a sociable game. Made so many friends through golf.

venger

Visit site
I quite enjoy a solo round of golf, mainly on a 9 hole course, although I'll happily do 18 holes on my own, I'd rather have company for 18.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Regularly play solo golf. One of the reasons I prefer it is I play better when the pace of play is quick.

The beauty of golf these days is most course have online booking so I can check if a course is busy / quiet before booking a tee time.
This being one of the main reasons I voted to retain our tee booking system post pandemic. We did not have one pre-pandemic and I have been opposed to the introduction of one. I was mistaken.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play competitively with and against folk and love it. Solo golf for me is at 7 o clock.

7am, I’m the only person on the course bar greenkeepers. I’m always tried getting up at 6 and always glad I made the effort.

7pm, I’m often the only person out there. I love the solitude. It’s peaceful at those times. I’m a very sociable sort, it’s nothing to do with gelling with other people. I practice different shots, work on stuff, never keep a score and play with bad quality balls so if I do carve one, I can just leave it and crack on. I nip around in under 2 hours, much less if work beckons. But yeah, I’d be lost without solo golf. Enjoy it for what it is. For me, it’s bliss.

Mockba

Visit site
I might be being stupid here, but for those of you who say you listen to podcasts or music when playing solo.. how do you hear fore shouts?! Surely you’re risking having a very painful round by having earphones in?! :D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't stand playing solo, its too easy to not bother.
The social aspect is what makes golf for me, and being one that works alone it's nice to have some casual chat and interaction during a game of golf.

Me too.

If I want to practice something I generally go to the range as I can hit more balls, and it cuts out all the walking and finding balls.Very rarely do I play alone