Solo golfers

Swango1980

Visit site
People shouting doesn’t mean you’re not going to get hit. I’ve shouted fore and still his someone, similarly I’ve bee hit when someone shouted and seen the same happen to others.

I sometimes play with headphones in, but at my home course there are very few holes where there is a danger of being hit. At my old course it was a constant danger so I probably wouldn’t. Same as I never rode my bike on the road with headphones in as I liked to be aware of everything going on around me.
I would rather get hit after I hear a shout of fore. At least I've had a chance to cover as much of my head as possible, and hunch down, making myself a smaller target.

Much better than merrily walking along, and then a ball smashing me in the face.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always try and play with other people somewhat competetively if its a daytime round, but equally love a summer evening round with the course pretty much to myself. Quality of golf doesn't matter, just enjoying the surroundings and the solitude, great for being able to think stuff through and clear the head a bit

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
.... but some block out the other 3 spots
Shouldn't be allowed. Totally selfish imo. :mad: If they want "millionarie's golf", then they should go and buy their own golf course. What right do they have to prevent potentially 3 other paid up members of the club (or even green fee'rs) from playing?

Surely a short sighted policy by the club?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Shouldn't be allowed. Totally selfish imo. :mad: If they want "millionarie's golf", then they should go and buy their own golf course. What right do they have to prevent potentially 3 other paid up members of the club (or even green fee'rs) from playing?

Surely a short sighted policy by the club?

From what I’ve heard, they’ll be putting a stop to it soon

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Solitude, tranquility, chance to play a couple of balls for extra practice, time to have a few extra putts here and there. Mostly though it's just not having to make small talk. I've 2 or 3 mates who I occassionally have a game with during the year, my best mates are all members at different clubs so we're not playing medals together either.

I find social golf irritating and boring, you're playing for nothing and there's no incentive

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We’ve all played solo when we don’t have a partner but it’s nowhere near as good. It’s the same with golf.

It’s my perception though, that more and more solo golfers are booking tee-times and at this time of year it’s a particular problem as the days are shortening. When members do this some ( not all ) will join others but visitors seem reluctant to join in. Or perhaps the pro is reluctant to encourage them to do so.
I’m not against solo golfers in general but at this time of year they are an absolute pain. There just isn’t enough time in the day to keep on waving through faster soloists.
It's not. Yes competitive golf for sure, but all other times, getting away from it all, having a bit of practice, beats mindless chatter you're not interested in and find irritating. A bit like marraige actually :LOL:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I like nine holes on my own when I first try out a new-to-me set of classic clubs. I look for an empty spot online and book just before I leave home.
Bashing balls on a range doesn't thrill me at all, but walking the fairways with 50-year-old clubs - the same fairways and types of clubs that others used, is such a pleasure.
I'm not bothered then, by some poor shots as I get used to the clubs.
Playing with others would mean having some kind of "game" and that would entail handicaps. Playing to my handicap that is based on play with 21st century clubs - forget it.
I simply enjoy doing-the-best-I-can with the old clubs as a test of my golfing skill.
Playing in a 2, 3 or 4-ball when all are playing classic clubs - absolutely brilliant golfing enjoyment.
All my competitive handicap qualifying golf is with 21st century clubs, as is much of my social golf as well.
I have the best of both worlds going on in my golfing.

Ando

Visit site
I play most rounds solo. Since coming back to golf last year I've not played competitively and play at a muni, so there's not the same opportunities to meet members that some clubs have.

I tend to play later in the day and enjoy a quiet course and being able to fly round pretty quickly. Playing on my own when it's busy becomes frustrating as you're having to wait on every shot.

That said, I genuinely enjoy meeting and joining other people on the course and am always open to that, I just don't really know enough people that play regularly at the same course as me.