Playing the Old Course Solo...

TigerTime

Visit site
Basically, I've never played the Old Course. All of my golfing buddies have and don't want to pay the fees again which is fair enough. This year is the year. I have some time off work around Masters week, so was planning on entering the ballot, however I can see it's for two players only. Which leaves me with the question, is it possible to play solo? I'm not sure I'd be willing to drive to St. Andrews and sit in the car overnight, be absolutely knackered and have a *** round of golf because of that.

Or if anyone wants to enter the ballot with me feel free!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I first time I played it, I stayed at a hotel l, went to bed early, got up really early and got to the starters hut at 05.45. I was second in the queue.
They opened at 06.30, and put me out first with a queuing two ball and a guy behind me. Sorted. And shot an 82 without going in a single bunker.
That was over the Easter period, and can imagine summer is a lot busier.
Second time I played it was with members who got me on with their points.
Good luck, and hopefully you get on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 31467

I think your only option is to queue up at the starters hut, chances of getting on will be pretty good at this time of year.

IJames

Visit site
As above, they will normally join you up. Having a caddy or 2 in the group can also add to the enjoyment, though setting the arrangement parameters is advisable.

TigerTime

Visit site
I first time I played it, I stayed at a hotel l, went to bed early, got up really early and got to the starters hut at 05.45. I was second in the queue.
They opened at 06.30, and put me out first with a queuing two ball and a guy behind me. Sorted. And shot an 82 without going in a single bunker.
That was over the Easter period, and can imagine summer is a lot busier.
Second time I played it was with members who got me on with their points.
Good luck, and hopefully you get on.

I might just do that. I'm planning on going on the 7th or 10th if possible. Might just even stay home and get up at 3am.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
If you want to camp out and wait you will need to be there fairly early when it’s summer as some folk will pitch up in the evening before (6pm) and wait it out ( this was out of the starters mouth only a week ago)

Good luck with it as it is a magical experience

TigerTime

Visit site
Thinking the Friday or Monday around Masters weekend would be my best bet. The website doesn't have those dates as busy days. Other option is to use the site posted above but not sure how legit it is, and of course theres no guarantees in the ballot.

Bratty

Visit site
I would suggest there are no guarantees as a single golfer, but the best chance is to get there around 05.30 or so. Shouldn't be crazy busy the Monday... but that might mean missing the Masters! 🤣

TigerTime

Visit site
I would suggest there are no guarantees as a single golfer, but the best chance is to get there around 05.30 or so. Shouldn't be crazy busy the Monday... but that might mean missing the Masters! 🤣

Don't mind missing the final day if Scheffler is boring his way to victory!

Bobthesock

Visit site
I've always been interested in doing this. Do you literally have to join the queue with your clubs ready to go, or will they tell you what time you are out?

evemccc

Visit site
If you want to camp out and wait you will need to be there fairly early when it’s summer as some folk will pitch up in the evening before (6pm) and wait it out ( this was out of the starters mouth only a week ago)

Good luck with it as it is a magical experience

I arrived at 6pm and was 4th in the queue — if you rock-up at 3am you’ll likely be in the high 20s in the queue going on my experience (last summer in the middle of a hot + sunny spell)

Maybe a cloudy April day will get far less demand..

Bobthesock

Visit site
I arrived at 6pm and was 4th in the queue — if you rock-up at 3am you’ll likely be in the high 20s in the queue going on my experience (last summer in the middle of a hot + sunny spell)

Is there an etiquette in the queue? Like if you arrive at 6pm is your spot saved and you can just wander into town and get some tea?
Or do you have to stay in it?

Bratty

Visit site
I've always been interested in doing this. Do you literally have to join the queue with your clubs ready to go, or will they tell you what time you are out?
I went at 05.45 with clubs ready. I have heard some people arrive that early and not play until 12.45 or later. But you can go and get breakfast, go to the range. Walk some of the course to get a feel for it and then head back for your tee time.

Bratty

Visit site
I went at 05.45 with clubs ready. I have heard some people arrive that early and not play until 12.45 or later. But you can go and get breakfast, go to the range. Walk some of the course to get a feel for it and then head back for your tee time.
I should also have said that once they give you your tee time, you're in!

sunshine

Visit site

6pm! What did you do for 12 hours? What happens if you need a wee? I can’t imagine playing very well if I’ve been waiting in line all night.

sunshine

Visit site
The latter. They usually have x amount of times throughout the day for the walk ups. First in the queue gets first choice of tee time etc...

So you can queue up all night, choose a late tee time when the hut opens at 6am, then go to bed for a few hours?