Solheim Cup 2023

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was surprising to see that prob Europes number 1 and best player Boutier was the one player who ended up with 0 points and you have Ciganda winning 4 out of 4 , with Grant and Maguire having 3

I have to wonder if Celine just isn't a team player. She seemed very reserved throughout and maybe the atmosphere and occasion just doesn't work for her. Even in the celebrations of winning (oops I mean retaining!) she stood out as very quiet and not much emotion on show. I guess it may not be for everybody. Golf is so much an individual sport and some don't respond to team golf.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Was surprising to see that prob Europes number 1 and best player Boutier was the one player who ended up with 0 points and you have Ciganda winning 4 out of 4 , with Grant and Maguire having 3
Was surprised to see Boutier struggling, but that’s golf, sometimes it’s just not there as hard as you might try!!
Would have liked to off seen Dryburgh play the four balls on day 2, thought she played well on day 1.
Leona Maguire is an absolute machine 😂

D

Deleted member 15344

I have to wonder if Celine just isn't a team player. She seemed very reserved throughout and maybe the atmosphere and occasion just doesn't work for her. Even in the celebrations of winning (oops I mean retaining!) she stood out as very quiet and not much emotion on show. I guess it may not be for everybody. Golf is so much an individual sport and some don't respond to team golf.

Think she is normally reserved and it’s prob just one of those weeks - she did play with Hall in the foursomes who wasn’t great - in her two previous events she got 4 out of 4 and 1.5 out of 3

D-S

Visit site
Boutier was a real star in the last Solheim Cup in Ohio. She won 4 out of 4 matches.

Swango1980

Visit site
She got zero points, maybe that is why she was quiet. Some people may feel like a bit of a con celebrating when they contribute nothing to the achievement.

Not everyone is like John Terry

4LEX

Visit site
Was surprised to see Boutier struggling, but that’s golf, sometimes it’s just not there as hard as you might try!!
Would have liked to off seen Dryburgh play the four balls on day 2, thought she played well on day 1.
Leona Maguire is an absolute machine 😂

Gemma is a fantasic player who gave my mate a right pasting at his own course a few years ago, before she really made it. She should've been used a lot more.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
With respect, that is nonsense as an explanation of the proportion of successful Asian ladies on the US team or the LPGA. Are 7/12 of the totality of US lady golfers of Asian origin ?
Why does that need an explanation?
It is the reality.
A description of how that reality came to be is what you require.
The rising prosperity of Asia has lead to more Asian people having the time and money to pursue sporting success and having the resources and ability to move to where that can be best achieved.
Asia is the centre of world population and it is becoming the centre of world wealth and trade.
By 2050 Europe and America will be the edges of the human world with Asia at the centre. We will have to get used to a world-map with that appearance.
There are already more Asian people than the rest of the world combined and that difference is increasing.
More Asian people showing success in world business, wealth and sporting success is something I am witnessing and expect to see continuing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
About what though - it was great entertainment as a spectacle but you know that people will point to the quality of the golf

It’s better to just not look for any acceptance and enjoy what you watched
Not about the Solheim Cup we have just witnessed - but the view of some on ladies golf in general. I have no idea why you think I being negative about ladies golf…I think it is quite splendid, but it seems not all on here think that. I hope the SC has changed that view.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Finca Cortesin is a stunning course, and you do not appreciate how steep the hills are on the tv. Much like Augusta I imagine. Course just carved out, not tricked up and very playable from the right tees. Would rather play than Valderrama and the views are amazing. Could imagine having an apartment in the area, oh wait... :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So disappointed to see the BBC news sports news bulletins ranked the Solheim Cup way behind feeds on men's rugby and football. I wonder if it will be the same this coming weekend. All their talk about supporting and valuing women's sport etc etc is just paying lip service.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finca Cortesin is a stunning course, and you do not appreciate how steep the hills are on the tv. Much like Augusta I imagine. Course just carved out, not tricked up and very playable from the right tees. Would rather play than Valderrama and the views are amazing. Could imagine having an apartment in the area, oh wait... :)

Show off! You can go off people you know :)

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So disappointed to see the BBC news sports news bulletins ranked the Solheim Cup way behind feeds on men's rugby and football. I wonder if it will be the same this coming weekend. All their talk about supporting and valuing women's sport etc etc is just paying lip service.
Unfortunately this was also highlighted by the terrible tv coverage which did everything it could to stifle what was an amazing finish to an enthralling contest. The fact there were no running scoreboards, some pairs got completely forgotten and taped footage out of sequence was a real shame.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately this was also highlighted by the terrible tv coverage which did everything it could to stifle what was an amazing finish to an enthralling contest. The fact there were no running scoreboards, some pairs got completely forgotten and taped footage out of sequence was a real shame.

I completely agree and again wonder what Sky will provide in contrast this coming weekend. So disappointing.

D

Deleted member 15344

It was headline news and at the top when it finished 15 hours ago - and BBC didn’t cover it

It’s the same with Sky , it’s down on their list as well and they did cover it

Golf will be behind a World Cup and the current premier league - that will be the same with the Ryder Cup this time next Monday

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was referring to this morning's coverage.

World Cup group games, bog standard premier league fixtures vs a home win at the pinnacle of women's golf...I guess we'll see next weekend if the importance is considered equal across the women's and men's games.

Swango1980

Visit site
Can I ask, what sort of exposure to the Solheim Cup result on the BBC website would give you satisfaction?

Having a look right now, they have their usual LIVE reporting link in top left corner. They then have 6 main headlines beside that, all given equal footing. There are 2 on the Rugby World Cup (Wales result against Oz and then a summary of what has happened), 2 on football (both related to the crazy 8-0 defeat of Sheff Utd), Green Sports awards and then the Solheim Cup. So, I'd say it is right up there, but you can't expect the Solheim Cup to just take over most of the headlines, otherwise you'll have football fans and rugby world cup fans complaining the BBC is not covering their sport effectively. It can also backfire, as some of those will then just use the "it is only getting more coverage because it is women" brigade.

You then go to the next section, and again the Solheim Cup is visible with a story highlighted by Ciganda celebrating (ohh, and another story about netball, which might be another indication that the BBC are serious in trying to value women's sport?)

You then go into the Golf section of the BBC website, and the Solheim Cup takes centre stage. Ryder Cup comes up this week, but you'd struggle to find anything about it. Just one story related to McIlroy and the Ryder Cup. But all your eye really sees is the blue of the European Solheim, Cup team and the many articles related to that.

Agreed Sky's coverage was poor, and I'd agree they will probably do a better job at Ryder Cup. So, questions probably need to be asked why that would have been? Just bad luck, or less investment?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Next weeks probably will be more prominent, but not incorrectly so. I follow and enjoy womens pro golf as much as the mens. But to bill them equally wouldnt square with the men/women participation rates in golf, pro golfers, tours, or money involved. A ratio of maybe 5 to 1 or something, so while Solheim Cup is an analogue to the RC as the best of Europe v best of USA and this weekends contest was terrific, I dont think it follows that they merit equal billing and exposure in the wider sporting news. Rightly or wrongly, had Tiger been televised chipping a few ball in his back garden, it would have had more prominence.