Solheim Cup 2023

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The result was a tie or a draw, as holders Europe retain the Solheim Cup.

The issue is that the holders (see the Women’s Ashes as well) always seem to act as if they have won the match or the Series. They haven’t, it was drawn.
They are acting as if they have retained it. That is worth celebrating, as we saw.
But those who didnt regain it, mistake the celebrating retaining, as celebrating winning. Thats their own problem.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The result was a tie or a draw, as holders Europe retain the Solheim Cup.

The issue is that the holders (see the Women’s Ashes as well) always seem to act as if they have won the match or the Series. They haven’t, it was drawn.
I see where you're coming from with this. I would expect perhaps an understated celebration, and a feeling of relief at having not lost perhaps.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
So disappointed to see the BBC news sports news bulletins ranked the Solheim Cup way behind feeds on men's rugby and football. I wonder if it will be the same this coming weekend. All their talk about supporting and valuing women's sport etc etc is just paying lip service.
BBC Golf currently giving some respectful space between the SC and the RC... Carter's SC article has dropped, and that should clear the way for the RC 'embargo' to be lifted.... I think by tomorrow morning it'll be in full RC mode with significantly more coverage / comment / editorials etc.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Agreed Sky's coverage was poor, and I'd agree they will probably do a better job at Ryder Cup. So, questions probably need to be asked why that would have been? Just bad luck, or less investment?
Sky had very little control over the broadcast. A German company owned the rights and distribution of the central pictures

Sky could have course improved, at one point yesterday it stated Hall was tied in her match, when the last we had heard she was one down. On return from the ad break we got a putt for ‘Hall to win the hole’. There wasn’t much suspense when the putt dropped!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The challenge to the non-holder is to beat the holder. No more no less.
They didn't.

If I remember rightly, the original Ryder Deed of Trust specified "In the event of a tie (14 points each) the Ryder Cup is retained by the team who held it before the contest."

I think there have only been 2 Ryder Cup ties. One retention each.

There were only 12 points available in the first official Ryder Cup so that can't be right.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I remember Tom Kite getting tetchy in 1989, when EU had the 14. Steve Ryder maybe, and I think there was a match or two still to be settled but were going the USA way, put it to him that EU had won, and he said - no sir, you have not won it, 14 points is not a win. He was correct, but more so revealing how he was sore at the non USA win. I dont remember quite the same delight from the Europeans that day, as yesterday.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Can’t recall the same level of moaning when the ashes were retained with a series draw. Everyone knows the rules at the outset.
See that report on BBC says that the venue wasn't the best for spectators facilities wise! No water/shade etc....

I think some folk just need something to moan about😁😁

Swango1980

Visit site
I remember Tom Kite getting tetchy in 1989, when EU had the 14. Steve Ryder maybe, and I think there was a match or two still to be settled but were going the USA way, put it to him that EU had won, and he said - no sir, you have not won it, 14 points is not a win. He was correct, but more so revealing how he was sore at the non USA win. I dont remember quite the same delight from the Europeans that day, as yesterday.
You probably want to look at the footage on youTube of 1989. When they secured the 14 points, you have scenes of grown men in light yellow jumpers going crazy on the side of the green. Sam Torrance almost in tears. Seve embracing any team mate he could find, etc.

I bet the delight in the Europeans in 1989 was just as high as the delight in the Europeans yesterday. If you don't remember that to be the case, it may be because:
1. In 1989, there were still 4 games going on once Europe got to 14 points, so that always feels a bit anti-climatic. Yesterday, there was only 1 game and that was coming to an end shortly after
2. In 1989 it was covered by the BBC. Despite how bad the Solheim Cup was covered this weekend, it is probably infinitely better than how the 1989 Ryder Cup was covered. So I'm sure a lot more attention was given to the celebrations this year by the media
3. The Solheim Cup was 1 day ago. The 1989 Ryder Cup was 34 years ago, it may be less vivid in your memory banks

D

Deleted member 15344

Let’s be honest it’s all being driven from Lewis and sour grapes about not winning

If the US had retained the cup the would have celebrated as much as Europe are there wouldn’t have been a peep about a play off etc - Europe would have just accepted the result with grace , something that over the years has been missing with the US Teams

They all know the situation before it started and at the end of the day the US couldn’t beat the Europeans and the Europeans rightly celebrated defending the cup and retaining it

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
See that report on BBC says that the venue wasn't the best for spectators facilities wise! No water/shade etc....
We found plenty of shade, and took our own water and food. Not paying prices on course which whilst not U.K. sport venue prices, were high for Spain. Early in the week for practice days you could not take in your own food and drink, but fortunately sense prevailed for the actual competition days.

King of Spain was there, but we only saw his car. No number plate just a crown where it would have been.

We did laugh at the bunker rakers. One shot played out of the bunker and two men in afterwards and another man standing on top of the bunker directing operations. Not a grain of sand out of place.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I completely agree and again wonder what Sky will provide in contrast this coming weekend. So disappointing.

sky weren’t in control of the images being shown. It was produced by a german company called UComm for the world feed who, frankly, weren’t up to scratch.
there were plenty of other issues on site too as it was just extremely poorly organised from start to finish. Running out of food, water etc.

The LET need to take a hard long look at themselves and work it out for Netherlands in 3 years time.

aside from the quality of golf, it sounds like it was a bit of travesty from top to bottom

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the LET was indeed responsible for selecting the broadcaster and allowing them sole rights then they do need to take a hard look at themselves. It should be the opportunity to showcase women's golf and golfers among us wondered what the hell was going on so a casual observer would be completely lost and turn over.

I mentioned at tennis on Sunday that my afternoon plans were watching the Solheim. The guy I was speaking to had never heard of it and was unaware there was a female equivalent to The Ryder Cup (which he knew was coming up soon). If he tuned in to watch I'm sure he would soon have tuned out again.

Red devil

Visit site
sky weren’t in cI trio of the images being shown. It was produced by a german company called UComm for the world feed who, frankly, weren’t up to scratch.
there were plenty of other issues on site too as it was just extremely poorly organised from start to finish. Running out of food, water etc.

The LET need to take a hard long look at themselves and work it out for Netherlands in 3 years time.

aside from the quality of golf, it sounds like it was a bit of travesty from top to bottom
I hope it's a bit better organised this week in Rome. But judging by the chaos at Fuimicino airport on Sunday I'm not holding out much hope. I'll let you know

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There were only 12 points available in the first official Ryder Cup so that can't be right.
I probably mis-remembered the no of points in the original Trust Deed. It was a long time ago.
But since 1961 there have been many variations in the number of actual matches. There were 32 one year.