Slow play - I was a right misery!

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Theres nothing wrong taking time on a shot what so ever - especially in a comp.

What annoys me though is people who walk slowly and fart around after or before they have hit shots.

Suggest being more efficient with their time to allow them to spend more time on their actual shot.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree Lig, you should be allowed the 5 minutes except if it's Stableford and you can't score and I know you would not hold things up that way

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
I hate it, and yes it causes me to play quicker...and worse. It's just basic awareness, I've seen it so many times.. for example, you are not the nearest to the hole when on the green, do you:

a. Line up your putt as the others are putting, thereby ready to play promptly when it's your turn, or

b. Stand 10 yards away, not on the line of your putt and when it's your turn, ignore the 4ball waiting on the tee and measure your putt from 3 different angles, crouch down on your heels for a minute, plumb line it and take 4 practice swings before knocking it to where you would have hit it anyway.

Aaaaarrrrghh.!!!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not condoning the faffing about in the OP, and I hate it when the group behind is waiting for me, but I wouldn't be panicking at the group in front of me being on the green as I walk on to the tee.

Yes, it sets bells ringing that maybe we need to push on a touch, but I wouldn't consider a group "out of position" in that scenario.

If you're on the tee waiting for a group to play their second shots, by the time it's clear and you've all teed off they will be on the green, so you're only a minute or so from being right up behind them.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not condoning the faffing about in the OP, and I hate it when the group behind is waiting for me, but I wouldn't be panicking at the group in front of me being on the green as I walk on to the tee.

Yes, it sets bells ringing that maybe we need to push on a touch, but I wouldn't consider a group "out of position" in that scenario.

If you're on the tee waiting for a group to play their second shots, by the time it's clear and you've all teed off they will be on the green, so you're only a minute or so from being right up behind them.

I fully agree and that's why I said to the group that we'd better just pick up the pace, it was him who said that he wasn't going to play quickly just to make the guys behind happy.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I fully agree and that's why I said to the group that we'd better just pick up the pace, it was him who said that he wasn't going to play quickly just to make the guys behind happy.

I just re-read your OP and I got the wrong end of the stick first time round :eek:

I'm another who's guilty of rushing my own game on occasion just to try to keep up because others are slow.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played in a pairs betterball comp today with my regular partner and 2 guys we often play with, both higher handicappers and really nice guys

But, and sorry for the rant!

One is a 25 h/c and biffing the ball well but I was aware that his slow play was becoming a problem, the group in front were on the green on the 6th (par 4) as we walked on the tee. I said we need to pick the pace up although the group behind were still playing the previous hole I said that if we don't catch up we'd have to call them through. He said that he wasn't going to rush his play to keep the guys behind happy and as it was a comp we didn't have to let them through (we were all in the comp) I did explain that we did have to and why. We did end up closing the gap but I felt I was rushing all my shots to play quicker to save the time he wasted, and I'm not a slow player, it affected my play and my partner said that I should just tell them once and if they take no notice it's not my fault and just carry on.

I was taught to always be aware of the pace. How do you cope in this sort of scenario? How would you deal with it?

Like you Chris I tend to end up rushing my game to cover the slow play of others, but more recently unless match play I've started declaring ready golf on the first. It's amazing how players pace changes if they lose the oh so important honours

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know that the answer is not to play with them but they are really nice guys and only one is slow, but it's hard when the pace is being affected by things other than standing and hitting the ball, we rarely lost a ball but for example on one hole, he thinned the ball through the green about 20 yards out the back, chipped back long and off the green and walked down, chipped reasonable close, walked back to where he chipped first time as he had left his bag there and had to walk back to get his putter that he could easily have taken with after the first chip! All thus with not a care in the world! :confused:

Drives me nuts. My attitude: if he doesn't listen then don't play with him again (even if he is a nice bloke).

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There is one situation where I have to take issue with my FCs though - when spraying the ball about and needing to search for it, I'm quite willing to call a group through, but my FCs aren't.
Why must I move on if I'm allowed 5 mins to search? And if you're in such an all-fired hurry, come and help me search, don't just wander further up the fairway hoping to coerce me into playing on with my provisional!

You do tend to hit quite a few provisionals though Preet...
Sometimes more than necessary ;)
:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It’s all in the delivery

In the OP scenario I’m sure it was just a passing comment to keep an eye on pace (being a shot out of position is no big deal really) but if the heads up is too brusque then it will more easily get the back up of at least one person in the group

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH if i was in the same situation where a PP would not keep up with play and flatly refused to speed up their own play, i would just stand aside and call up the group behind through.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
And that man will stand at your funeral saying I use to golf with Chris , lovely man but always in a hurry so I hope the ceremony is quick or he will be upset ...:D

Nope he still wont be right but he will still think that way .. its a mindset , all be it a selfish one

all you can do to avoid having to rush is keep your pace up to ur ball , be there ahead of him/them playing their shots & be ready to play & take ur time over ur own shot etc ..

End of the day if it starts to affect your game there is only 1 option

Last edited:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am quite a quick player and no fan of slow play, but in the context of the OP and playing a bit of devils advocate...

A whole hole had not been lost, the offender did nothing to speed up his play, the group in front was caught and the round finished without losing position.

So, was the guy in the wrong in the first place..?

There is an ebb and flow in a round of golf, it's inevitable.

I have little sympathy for slow play, but in the OP and follow up info as presented I would say the OP is being a little too sensitive.

D

Deleted member 16999

And that man will stand at your funeral saying I use to golf with Chris , lovely man but always in a hurry so I hope the ceremony is quick or he will be upset ...:D

Nope he still wont be right but he will still think that way .. its a mindset , all be it a selfish one

all you can do to avoid having to rush is keep your pace up to ur ball , be there ahead of him/them playing their shots & be ready to play & take ur time over ur own shot etc ..

End of the day if it starts to affect your game there is only 1 option
This👍
Common theme seems to be it affects everyone else but the slow player,

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
To be honest I wouldn't bother. I've often had a quiet word with the group behind if the fairways are adjoining and make sure they are aware who is to blame and that you've tried to gee them up. I try never to let it affect my game especially in a comp. My golf can take care of that

yes - and you can ask them to request that they play through you - ideally either making the request to Mr Slowie or at least make sure that he hears the request being made. And you then have to let them through, and your point is hopefully made - especially if it you have to let the next group through also. Unfortunately you then have to continue playing at the pace of Mr Slowie - but I am sure that you can handle that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

He needs reminded of his responsibilities to other players and the etiquette. As for much behaviour and thinking around golf these days - to many players have an 'it's all about me' attitude. I pay my money therefore I should get to do as I wish.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a bit of sympathy with some of the guys being blamed for some of the slow play, especially the high h/cappers who are thinning their ball back and forwards around the green or not getting of the tee well. They will feel under pressure to get the next shot right and invariably this contributes to their poor play.

I think it's possible to be more positive in some situations - eg thinning across the green and setting of without the bag... whilst he/she is walking over to do the same thing again why not casually get their bag yourself and set it in the appropriate location? This does 2 things - leaves you all in a better position for when the hole is wrapped up and probably registers with him/ her that they could have done that.

Looking for lost balls is a facet of the high handicapper - it's annoying when it's continual but the only solution is to not bother... have to say, the state of some of the courses aren't helpful for finding wayward shots and a few weeks ago I would say the rough was the contributing factor for lost balls (balls just disappeared after rolling from fairway!).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a bit of sympathy with some of the guys being blamed for some of the slow play, especially the high h/cappers who are thinning their ball back and forwards around the green or not getting of the tee well. They will feel under pressure to get the next shot right and invariably this contributes to their poor play.

I think it's possible to be more positive in some situations - eg thinning across the green and setting of without the bag... whilst he/she is walking over to do the same thing again why not casually get their bag yourself and set it in the appropriate location? This does 2 things - leaves you all in a better position for when the hole is wrapped up and probably registers with him/ her that they could have done that.

Looking for lost balls is a facet of the high handicapper - it's annoying when it's continual but the only solution is to not bother... have to say, the state of some of the courses aren't helpful for finding wayward shots and a few weeks ago I would say the rough was the contributing factor for lost balls (balls just disappeared after rolling from fairway!).

I don't think anyone has an problems with a player who is having a tough time - but that player simply has to bear in mind the words of H Vardon (written in 1905)

If from any cause whatever you are playing a very slow game, don't miss an opportunity of inviting the couple behind you to pass. It will please them, and be far more comfortable for you. But if your match is behind a slow one, do not be offensive in pressing upon the match in front by making rude remarks and occasionally playing while they are in range. You do not know what troubles they are enduring.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honestly the more I think about slow play I think it's nothing to do with educating players. Most of the time it's the same players who have been playing long enough to know better.

I think there are just some players that are slow, don't care they are slow and are just bloody minded and won't let anyone play through unless a gun is pointed at their head.

It only takes one or two of these folk and the course will backup.

The issue is nothing will ever be done to them. Yes they'll get a ribbing in the bar, if they stay for a drink. Sometimes a marshal, if you're lucky, might have a word.

Apart from that they free to do whatever they want.

OK Rant Over.