Slow play - I was a right misery!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played in a pairs betterball comp today with my regular partner and 2 guys we often play with, both higher handicappers and really nice guys

But, and sorry for the rant!

One is a 25 h/c and biffing the ball well but I was aware that his slow play was becoming a problem, the group in front were on the green on the 6th (par 4) as we walked on the tee. I said we need to pick the pace up although the group behind were still playing the previous hole I said that if we don't catch up we'd have to call them through. He said that he wasn't going to rush his play to keep the guys behind happy and as it was a comp we didn't have to let them through (we were all in the comp) I did explain that we did have to and why. We did end up closing the gap but I felt I was rushing all my shots to play quicker to save the time he wasted, and I'm not a slow player, it affected my play and my partner said that I should just tell them once and if they take no notice it's not my fault and just carry on.

I was taught to always be aware of the pace. How do you cope in this sort of scenario? How would you deal with it?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a pairs betterball comp today with my regular partner and 2 guys we often play with, both higher handicappers and really nice guys

One is a 25 h/c and biffing the ball well but I was aware that his slow play was becoming a problem, the group in front were on the green on the 6th (par 4) as we walked on the tee. I said we need to pick the pace up although the group behind were still playing the previous hole I said that if we don't catch up we'd have to call them through. He said that he wasn't going to rush his play to keep the guys behind happy and as it was a comp we didn't have to let them through (we were all in the comp) I did explain that we did have to and why. We did end up closing the gap but I felt I was rushing all my shots to play quicker to save the time he wasted, and I'm not a slow player, it affected my play and my partner said that I should just tell them once and if they take no notice it's not my fault and just carry on.

I was taught to always be aware of the pace. How do you cope in this sort of scenario? How would you deal with it?

Same as you and badly. ... those that don't care don't seem to have the same issues.

That's life - it's not fair

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Same as you and badly. ... those that don't care don't seem to have the same issues.

Usual problem Duncan, leaving bag miles from his ball and walking back to change club, not being ready to play etc etc - it's not rocket science, is it?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

It's a problem. I hate having people chasing from behind and have often tried egging my PP's on in comps. If they are reticent to do so what can you do and once I've tried several times I tend to let it go. They aren't going to shift and it'll only affect my game. If one of the PP's hit it into the clag and it isn't found straight away I'd use it as an opportunity to call the group behind if I could

D

Deleted member 15344

You can only try and educate and try to not let it affect your own game

Play at your pace and continully encourage them to keep up

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hate rushing to make up for someone else's slow play especially when they are completely oblivious/indifferent to it despite the hints and the overt hurry-ups, but sometimes I feel I have no choice. Always results in me playing really badly. In the past I have literally run to the next tee only to turn round and see the slowbie still footling with his bag near the green while the group behind are waiting to play. Makes me wonder why I bother, but at least the group behind can see who the culprit is.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I hate rushing to make up for someone else's slow play especially when they are completely oblivious/indifferent to it despite the hints and the overt hurry-ups, but sometimes I feel I have no choice. Always results in me playing really badly. In the past I have literally run to the next tee only to turn round and see the slowbie still footling with his bag near the green while the group behind are waiting to play. Makes me wonder why I bother, but at least the group behind can see who the culprit is.

To be honest I wouldn't bother. I've often had a quiet word with the group behind if the fairways are adjoining and make sure they are aware who is to blame and that you've tried to gee them up. I try never to let it affect my game especially in a comp. My golf can take care of that

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I know that the answer is not to play with them but they are really nice guys and only one is slow, but it's hard when the pace is being affected by things other than standing and hitting the ball, we rarely lost a ball but for example on one hole, he thinned the ball through the green about 20 yards out the back, chipped back long and off the green and walked down, chipped reasonable close, walked back to where he chipped first time as he had left his bag there and had to walk back to get his putter that he could easily have taken with after the first chip! All thus with not a care in the world! :confused:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Must be the day of the slow plays. As we came off the 4th green we'd lost a hole and a half as one of the guys had a mare on the 1st 4 holes. Poor course mgt up the 1st saw him try a Seve shot out of the woods, no joy and then he compounded it by trying the same shot again. 2nd hole he hooked deep into the woods and, although he played a provisional straightaway down the right edge of the fairway he insisted on spending time looking into an area that resembled a Brazilian rain forest - God knows what he'd have done if the ball had been found. The 3rd was an improvement with the group behind getting to the tee just as we finished - and relax, not.

And then we played the 4th... 4 shots to make the fairway, and then hooked left of the green. He thinned his chip across the green, left his bag there and then putted up, finishing with an 8. He than had to collect his bag from left of the green even though his first putt was from the right side, and walk back across the green.

As we walked off the 5th tee, 1:15hr into the round. "Right lads, if the group behind are waiting to tee off when we reach our ball I'm calling them through." All of a sudden a spurt of speed and a sensible pace for the rest of the round, proving it could be done...

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

insist on letting the group behind through, and tell your playing partners if you as a group continue to lose ground and if another group is behind you'll be letting them through too.

D

Deleted member 16999

Can I ask how long the round took ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
insist on letting the group behind through, and tell your playing partners if you as a group continue to lose ground and if another group is behind you'll be letting them through too.

We never needed to in the end but I am not in charge of the group!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Can I ask how long the round took ?

I'm not sure Paul and we did catch up with the guys in front so it was all ok in the end, but it just scrambled my head having to push. All I wanted was to play my own game which wasn't easy in the wind and rain and I didn't need the aggregation

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm not sure Paul and we did catch up with the guys in front so it was all ok in the end, but it just scrambled my head having to push. All I wanted was to play my own game which wasn't easy in the wind and rain and I didn't need the aggregation

That's the diificulty, dropping back early can really get to me and even if as you've said it works out in the end, my head is scrambled.
Unfortunately as others have said it's only education that will help him, for yourself I woukd try and keep an eye on the complete round time and see if that's constant, maybe then him playing slow on a hole or three may not get in your head.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm always acutely aware of pace of play and will often say "we need to get a wriggle on guys" when I spot the same telltale signs you've alluded to.

In addition to it mucking up my own routine it just makes me feel uncomfortable generally.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

I'm always acutely aware of pace of play and will often say "we need to get a wriggle on guys" when I spot the same telltale signs you've alluded to.
in addition to it mucking up my own routine it just makes me feel uncomfortable.u
Our fourball normally tees off first at 07:00 every saturday, course empty and no pressure from behind, however, this season one of the group has decided to make every week a comp to see how fast we can get round, tries for a PB every week, it' got to the point this week were another of the group snapped and told him to stop with the rushing about,

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
L
That's the diificulty, dropping back early can really get to me and even if as you've said it works out in the end, my head is scrambled.
Unfortunately as others have said it's only education that will help him, for yourself I woukd try and keep an eye on the complete round time and see if that's constant, maybe then him playing slow on a hole or three may not get in your head.

I think we were about 4 hours for a 4 ball in rain which isn't bad, but if you lose ground and the group behind is standing hand on hip waiting to play the pressure is on. As I've said, all was ok in the end but my enjoyment was gone

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm not a quick player and at times can get lost in my head with numerous swing thoughts, however I will always try to keep up by walking faster and speed up when the group in front appears to pull away.

RANT ALERT! :rant:
There is one situation where I have to take issue with my FCs though - when spraying the ball about and needing to search for it, I'm quite willing to call a group through, but my FCs aren't.
Why must I move on if I'm allowed 5 mins to search? And if you're in such an all-fired hurry, come and help me search, don't just wander further up the fairway hoping to coerce me into playing on with my provisional! To you I say ... :thup: but with a finger and not a thumb. :ears:
:rant:

On the other hand - in my Saturday roll up we have two exceptionally slow players -

One is quite elderly and uses a buggy and is constantly driving up the fairway to his ball directly in front of the player who is next to play. Twenty times a round he has to be shouted and waved at to "get out of the way"!! Oblivious!!

The other slow player is the type Chris mentioned - constantly changing clubs after having gone through a very long selection process, which he doesn't begin until it's his turn to play, despite standing beside his ball while three others play their shots i.e. never ready to play when it's his turn.

I've "enjoyed" 4.5 hour rounds with each of them on several occasions despite the course being very short and flat. :(
On one occasion recently, I heard that both these players were in the final group which took over 5 hours... with the course backed up behind them!! They did let one group through but... thank goodness I wasn't playing that week!:whoo:

D

Deleted member 16999

L

I think we were about 4 hours for a 4 ball in rain which isn't bad, but if you lose ground and the group behind is standing hand on hip waiting to play the pressure is on. As I've said, all was ok in the end but my enjoyment was gone

Nothing worse having the group behind you putting pressure on you, even if they aren't that's how it feels!