Slow play - I was a right misery!

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think anyone has an problems with a player who is having a tough time - but that player simply has to bear in mind the words of H Vardon (written in 1905)

If from any cause whatever you are playing a very slow game, don't miss an opportunity of inviting the couple behind you to pass. It will please them, and be far more comfortable for you. But if your match is behind a slow one, do not be offensive in pressing upon the match in front by making rude remarks and occasionally playing while they are in range. You do not know what troubles they are enduring.

Wish the pair behind me had read this before they tee'd off behind my second ever outing on course. On the 3rd fairway, pre-shot routine, stand over the ball then a whoosh, and a thud as their patience grew thin. Landed about 3 yards in front of me! Played them through on the 4th tee (waited whilst they both chipped then 3-putted) where only one of them thanked me. I can guess who the culprit behind the "encouragement" was!

I had clocked them behind me on the 2nd but thought they were far enough back. They did seem to be rushing everything though, and it showed in their tee shots.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had an open tee on Saturday where you turned up and went out. Quite a few turned up at 11am and our regular 4 ball went out last of everyone who was there. There was however one extra player waiting for a game so we said we would wait a bit to see if anyone else turned up. After almost 15 minutes no one turned up so we went out as a 5 ball. The 4 ball in front were half way up the second when we teed off so they were well in front. By the time we had reached the par 3 fourth they were only just clearing the green so our 5 ball had caught them up.

As we teed off on the fifth a 2 ball were playing the second so we agreed to split into a 2 and a 3 when they caught us up. That didn't happen until the fourteenth so on the next tee we split up. However by the time we reached the eighteenth the five of us were waiting on the tee so we joined up again to finish the round as the 2 ball hadn't even teed off on the seventeenth.

The 4 ball in front of us were all cat 2 players and the oldest probably in his mid 40's but they were still considerably slower than a 5 ball (2 cat 2, 2 cat 3 and 1 cat4) that included 2 pensioners, one of whom is 82.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We had an open tee on Saturday where you turned up and went out. Quite a few turned up at 11am and our regular 4 ball went out last of everyone who was there. There was however one extra player waiting for a game so we said we would wait a bit to see if anyone else turned up. After almost 15 minutes no one turned up so we went out as a 5 ball. The 4 ball in front were half way up the second when we teed off so they were well in front. By the time we had reached the par 3 fourth they were only just clearing the green so our 5 ball had caught them up.

As we teed off on the fifth a 2 ball were playing the second so we agreed to split into a 2 and a 3 when they caught us up. That didn't happen until the fourteenth so on the next tee we split up. However by the time we reached the eighteenth the five of us were waiting on the tee so we joined up again to finish the round as the 2 ball hadn't even teed off on the seventeenth.

The 4 ball in front of us were all cat 2 players and the oldest probably in his mid 40's but they were still considerably slower than a 5 ball (2 cat 2, 2 cat 3 and 1 cat4) that included 2 pensioners, one of whom is 82.

A 5-ball - you are really OK to go out as a 5-ball, and at any time never mind a Saturday morning?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A 5-ball - you are really OK to go out as a 5-ball, and at any time never mind a Saturday morning?

We only did it as there was no one else around and agreed to split up if anyone caught us. Is there anything in the rules that prohibit a five ball or say that it is a DQ or is it just an etiquette/speed of play issue?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We never needed to in the end but I am not in charge of the group!

If you're not up with play and the group behind is being held up, etiquette is to let the group behind through.

Don't rush your own game, play at your pace and if above occurs you let them through.
Let the rest of group worry about explaing any upset about letting someone through to the committee if they have an issue with you. The other groups will be witnesses to the issue.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think anyone has an problems with a player who is having a tough time - but that player simply has to bear in mind the words of H Vardon (written in 1905)

If from any cause whatever you are playing a very slow game, don't miss an opportunity of inviting the couple behind you to pass. It will please them, and be far more comfortable for you. But if your match is behind a slow one, do not be offensive in pressing upon the match in front by making rude remarks and occasionally playing while they are in range. You do not know what troubles they are enduring.
You wouldn't have recently aquired a Harry Vardon book would you Hugh ?:whistle:;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We only did it as there was no one else around and agreed to split up if anyone caught us. Is there anything in the rules that prohibit a five ball or say that it is a DQ or is it just an etiquette/speed of play issue?

We sometime play as a 5 or 6 ball in winter if the course is dead, we have even been let though a 4 ball before... and it boot the 4 ball the guys who usually hold us up on a Sat morning. They couldn't say anything about us playing a 6 ball either they had played a 5 ball the week before:rofl:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You wouldn't have recently aquired a Harry Vardon book would you Hugh ?:whistle:;)

Nah - he's just speaking to me from beyond the grave. Actually the point is that they had exactly the same issues and debates 100yrs ago - so why we imagine we might be able to solve them today :)

I do like the 100yr old view on these issues though - from a time when the nature of society was very different and when such as respect and etiquette were core to day-to-day life - for good or ill.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I do like the 100yr old view on these issues though - from a time when the nature of society was very different and when such as respect and etiquette were core to day-to-day life - for good or ill.
Was that the period when Pros were not allowed in the clubhouse and treated like second class citizens, women were often treated the same, and juniors were just treated with contempt. I suppose they did know the correct place to stand on the tee though.:thup:

Rose tinted glasses springs to mind.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was that the period when Pros were not allowed in the clubhouse and treated like second class citizens, women were often treated the same, and juniors were just treated with contempt. I suppose they did know the correct place to stand on the tee though.:thup:

that and, of course, everyone had a DMD that not only told them which club to hit but how!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
We were stood on the 17th tee, as a three ball, waiting for a pairs match that were ahead to vacate the 18th tee (within driving range of the 17th tee). Two ladies who had been behind us all day, but no major waits, approached from the 16th and advised that we had rights over the 18th tee and to tee off. We pointed out to them that the guys in front had left their bags in the middle of the 17th fairway (the 18th tees off across the 17th fairway), obviously to tell us to hold back. A bit annoying but nothing to get us bent out of shape for so late in a round...

Along comes Mr Angry, screaming and shouting at us from the 16th fairway (which crosses the 17th in the opposite direction to the 18th) to tee off, we've held everyone up all day, what did we think we were doing etc.

Gotta love when someone doesn't know the full story and goes off on one. He soon shut up when we walked past them and my 6'6" mate explained the situation.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We were stood on the 17th tee, as a three ball, waiting for a pairs match that were ahead to vacate the 18th tee (within driving range of the 17th tee). Two ladies who had been behind us all day, but no major waits, approached from the 16th and advised that we had rights over the 18th tee and to tee off. We pointed out to them that the guys in front had left their bags in the middle of the 17th fairway (the 18th tees off across the 17th fairway), obviously to tell us to hold back. A bit annoying but nothing to get us bent out of shape for so late in a round...

Along comes Mr Angry, screaming and shouting at us from the 16th fairway (which crosses the 17th in the opposite direction to the 18th) to tee off, we've held everyone up all day, what did we think we were doing etc.

Gotta love when someone doesn't know the full story and goes off on one. He soon shut up when we walked past them and my 6'6" mate explained the situation.

So the 16th & 18th fairways both cross over the 17th fairway in opposite directions?

Please tell me that's not as horrendous as it sounds

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
So the 16th & 18th fairways both cross over the 17th fairway in opposite directions?

Please tell me that's not as horrendous as it sounds

I'm only a new member so not had many experiences yet but I think it's workable as long as people don't leave their bags in the fairway every week!

See attached picture for illustration with direction of play indicated on the three holes.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 55

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I did say ...respect and etiquette were core to day-to-day life - for good or ill

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm only a new member so not had many experiences yet but I think it's workable as long as people don't leave their bags in the fairway every week!

See attached picture for illustration with direction of play indicated on the three holes.

Oh boy - that's a recipe for confusion and frustration :)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I did say ...respect and etiquette were core to day-to-day life - for good or ill
Respect implies manners, good behaviour, treating people fairly etc. The early 1900's in golf clubs was more about lack of respect to many. Not sure you can have respect or even etiquette for ill. Doesn't make sense to me.:confused:

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hope your insurance is up to date :mad:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Respect implies manners, good behaviour, treating people fairly etc. The early 1900's in golf clubs was more about lack of respect to many. Not sure you can have respect or even etiquette for ill. Doesn't make sense to me.:confused:

OK - let's just say that my comment was in the context of golfers and members of golf clubs when I am sure the place of etiquette and manners was understood and accepted 9for right or wrong) and probably quite different from today - I am fully away of the inequalities in society back then.