Signing in to a comp

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is a difficult one as techincally you can sign up to the comp. Not pay your entrance fee and be allowed to play. You just wouldn't be in the comp for the prize money etc.

Our club hasn't got a great commitee and if I am honest don't really know what they are doing,
Will you have an opportunity to have a word with the chair of that meeting beforehand, to make him aware of the information you have described in post #16?

MACM85

Visit site
Will you have an opportunity to have a word with the chair of that meeting beforehand, to make him aware of the information you have described in post #16?

The Mrs is putting together an email and sending it over.

Hopefully it will stop any future instances happening

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing I did find strange from the OP's posting is that the player's score is input by the marker. Is this a common widespread practice?
Yes I thought that rather strange as well. Surely the player is responsible for inputting his score as an error could affect him depending on the Comp T's & C's. Unusual I'd say.

MACM85

Visit site
Yes I thought that rather strange as well. Surely the player is responsible for inputting his score as an error could affect him depending on the Comp T's & C's. Unusual I'd say.

I also think it is strange. We didn't used to have this in place. They bought it in a few months ago. We used to just verify with marker and input it ourselves. Perhaps some individuals took advantage and entered wrong scores.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also think it is strange. We didn't used to have this in place. They bought it in a few months ago. We used to just verify with marker and input it ourselves. Perhaps some individuals took advantage and entered wrong scores.
Is the card 'Boxed' after entry to PSI?
We ask for a copy of the winning cards to be emailed to us for checking so not good if the marker makes an input error & then walks off with the card or fails to 'Box' it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If he is down as being in the comp it’s only a coc that he must put his scores on an electronic device .
You don’t have to under the rules of golf ! “ (or has that changed as well now.)?

Be interesting what the outcome is.

MACM85

Visit site
Is the card 'Boxed' after entry to PSI?
We ask for a copy of the winning cards to be emailed to us for checking so not good if the marker makes an input error & then walks off with the card or fails to 'Box' it.

You are required to stick them in the box for the comp secretary to check and verify the cards.

MACM85

Visit site
If he is down as being in the comp it’s only a coc that he must put his scores on an electronic device .
You don’t have to under the rules of golf ! “ (or has that changed as well now.)?

Be interesting what the outcome is.

Issue with our club is in the summer they sent revised guidelines for comps and requested everyone signs in before the comp, get the marker to submit the scores and for them to hand the cards in.

It is going to be discussed at an emergency meeting on Sunday. We just don't want to see this happen again in other comps.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Issue with our club is in the summer they sent revised guidelines for comps and requested everyone signs in before the comp, get the marker to submit the scores and for them to hand the cards in.

It is going to be discussed at an emergency meeting on Sunday. We just don't want to see this happen again in other comps.
I quick question, at what point do you pay the entry fee.

Swango1980

Visit site

So, after round, marker signs card and gives it to player, Player signs for their score. Player then hands it back to Marker, and Marker then enters the Players score and posts the players card for them in the box?

That is a really strange way of asking members to submit scores.

MACM85

Visit site
So, after round, marker signs card and gives it to player, Player signs for their score. Player then hands it back to Marker, and Marker then enters the Players score and posts the players card for them in the box?

That is a really strange way of asking members to submit scores.

Yep.

It didn't use to be like this up until this past summer. Before we didn't even hand the cards in. Just agreed with marker, inputted our own scores and then binned the card.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep.

It didn't use to be like this up until this past summer. Before we didn't even hand the cards in. Just agreed with marker, inputted our own scores and then binned the card.
Sounds like there were some dubious scores getting entered by players…and that the physical card was not being submitted for verification meant that the fact that it was signed by the marker was redundant…as nobody was seeing the card after it has been signed. The only check would come about if the marker had a look on the system to see what score had been entered. And that is fraught….

And with the new system and as others say…it’s not the markers business entering my score. Even if the signed card is now submitted what takes precedence if there is a mismatch, card or system. Eeeugh…

Swango1980

Visit site
Yep.

I suspect the Committee in charge are pretty flawed in what they've asked players to do, so doesn't surprise me they've run into problems such as yours. I think they need to look at firming up their terms of Competition that are not only clear to players, follow general guidance and straightforward for them to consistently implement.