Shinkwin is a disgrace!

Boomy

Visit site
As usual, people are getting upset about minor etiquette details. I swear more than I should....but at our last away day with our Saturday group one of them kind of insisted on saying a blessing before we ate. I was really irritated about being forced into that situation....should praying be banned from the course?

The networks can solve it if they want...but anything for ratings..... don't just blame this Shinkwin guy. I don't even know who he is since I rarely watch golf. I also really can't imagine too many young people/children glued to the screen watching golf (I mean really.....children watching golf??). Think of all the tv shows etc that allow swearing now....things change.

You need to read the thread fully before commenting... Not minor, and more than just an etiquette issue.
Also yes, children who are interested in golf watch it and look up to their idols. Some things shouldn’t change.

Mandofred

Visit site
You need to read the thread fully before commenting... Not minor, and more than just an etiquette issue.
Also yes, children who are interested in golf watch it and look up to their idols. Some things shouldn’t change.
Why would you think I hadn't read the thread? Just because I don't agree with you? I can live with you not agreeing with me....that's fine. You insisting I'm wrong if I don't.....hmmm.

Boomy

Visit site
Why would you think I hadn't read the thread? Just because I don't agree with you? I can live with you not agreeing with me....that's fine. You insisting I'm wrong if I don't.....hmmm.

? at what point exactly did I insist you were wrong if you didn’t agree with what I’d posted? We are all entitled to our own opinions.

I commented about you not reading the thread fully because you appear to have missed some key points in the discussion (not because you disagree with me, which is kind of the whole point of a debate, agree/disagree/discuss)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I can't ever criticise a golfer for swearing, would make me the biggest hypocrite alive. Swearing doesn't bother me anyway, I don't know why anyone would get offended by seeing that. They're just words. I don't like it when they break clubs and damage the course as it makes them look entitled and petulant, but swearing, honestly who cares.

It's about respect for other people who may be offended by such language. I can F & blind with the best of them, especially on the course, but I would never swear in front of someone who may be offended by it or even someone who I'm not sure would be offended or not . This includes most women & a lot of older men. I don't allow any bad language to appear on my Facebook page either, nobody should have to put up with it if it offends them.

This is, I admit, an old fashioned attitude but it's the way I was brought up & I think it's the right thing to do.

D

Deleted member 15344

Swearing is still not acceptable to many even more so the “strong” ones

Some people have it as every second word and it’s not very nice , maybe shows a lack of “Dacorum” especially in public settings

I certainly don’t want my daughter to hear it on the telly. But some people swear a lot - that’s not going to change

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's about respect for other people who may be offended by such language. I can F & blind with the best of them, especially on the course, but I would never swear in front of someone who may be offended by it or even someone who I'm not sure would be offended or not . This includes most women & a lot of older men. I don't allow any bad language to appear on my Facebook page either, nobody should have to put up with it if it offends them.

This is, I admit, an old fashioned attitude but it's the way I was brought up & I think it's the right thing to do.
I don't believe it's Shinkwin's responsibility to modify his behaviour when he is not swearing at anyone other than himself. It's Sky's broadcast, it is their responsibility if they don't want to beam swearing into people's living rooms, they can sort it out. I take your point - indeed, when I first met my wife she told me her mother dislikes swearing, and consequently I have never sworn in front of her, especially not in her home. But in Shinkwin's case he is swearing at his own place of work, essentially. It's Sky who have broadcast it.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't believe it's Shinkwin's responsibility to modify his behaviour when he is not swearing at anyone other than himself. It's Sky's broadcast, it is their responsibility if they don't want to beam swearing into people's living rooms, they can sort it out. I take your point - indeed, when I first met my wife she told me her mother dislikes swearing, and consequently I have never sworn in front of her, especially not in her home. But in Shinkwin's case he is swearing at his own place of work, essentially. It's Sky who have broadcast it.
Actually going by the code of conduct they must adhere to on the European Tour it is his responsibility to ensure his behaviour doesn’t give the Tour a bad name - and that includes profanities that could easily be heard by media and people watching

Just like at my place of work if I swear and paying customers hear it then I will be the one in trouble

Mandofred

Visit site
? at what point exactly did I insist you were wrong if you didn’t agree with what I’d posted? We are all entitled to our own opinions.

I commented about you not reading the thread fully because you appear to have missed some key points in the discussion (not because you disagree with me, which is kind of the whole point of a debate, agree/disagree/discuss)
And those key points would be?.......

Actually, before you get more excited......I actually agree with your (and others) point about him being a professional and he shouldn't conduct himself in this manner. I haven't seen any of the coverage or read any articles about this situation other than what was written in this thread. But I don't blame the guy very much for his behavior. As was just pointed out in a post.....it's partially his fault for his behavior......but where are the head honcho's? I'm a retired school teacher.....I know what would happen if I walked around the school throwing F-bombs everywhere. I'd have the boss down my neck and I would know exactly what would happen if my swearing continued......and I'd lose, completely...no doubt. Where are the golf admin folks? Lay down the law. If the guy can't follow the rules then I know what I would do if I ran the golf tour.....I'd remove the player.

Boomy

Visit site
He shouldn’t do it, but I think we’re getting a bit precious about a bit of bad language.

Very bad language, being grossly unprofessional and the crass comments directly into the camera about lockdown (whilst sniggering) I firmly think standards should be policed better to maintain professional standards - serious fines and if needed bans.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very bad language, being grossly unprofessional and the crass comments directly into the camera about lockdown (whilst sniggering) I firmly think standards should be policed better to maintain professional standards - serious fines and if needed bans.
lol don't be daft. At worst a slap on the wrist. Bigger things to worry about.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And those key points would be?.......

Actually, before you get more excited......I actually agree with your (and others) point about him being a professional and he shouldn't conduct himself in this manner. I haven't seen any of the coverage or read any articles about this situation other than what was written in this thread. But I don't blame the guy very much for his behavior. As was just pointed out in a post.....it's partially his fault for his behavior......but where are the head honcho's? I'm a retired school teacher.....I know what would happen if I walked around the school throwing F-bombs everywhere. I'd have the boss down my neck and I would know exactly what would happen if my swearing continued......and I'd lose, completely...no doubt. Where are the golf admin folks? Lay down the law. If the guy can't follow the rules then I know what I would do if I ran the golf tour.....I'd remove the player.

Think you'll find if this has hit social media or been reported the ET will take action under their code of conduct. However, what they tend to do, and I don't think is a bad thing, is they tend to deal with these matters behind closed doors. I would assume that Shinkwin will be fined and warned about future conduct. It isn't down to Sky to monitor and they can only apologise for any profanities aired. I think the ET will definitely speak to Shinkwin about the lockdown comment. If he doesn't take heed I think they have the power to enforce a ban

Boomy

Visit site
lol don't be daft. At worst a slap on the wrist. Bigger things to worry about.

Not daft at all, standards should be maintained and respected - it’s part of being a professional. If somebody repeat offends or ignores the rules a short ban would be perfectly acceptable. If it carries on it’ll end up like football!

Mandofred

Visit site
Think you'll find if this has hit social media or been reported the ET will take action under their code of conduct. However, what they tend to do, and I don't think is a bad thing, is they tend to deal with these matters behind closed doors. I would assume that Shinkwin will be fined and warned about future conduct. It isn't down to Sky to monitor and they can only apologise for any profanities aired. I think the ET will definitely speak to Shinkwin about the lockdown comment. If he doesn't take heed I think they have the power to enforce a ban
Fair enough. Like I said....this isn't just Shinkwin's fault. If the people who run the tour (whichever tour you choose) allow bad behavior to happen......I know who I would blame. Although....now I need to look up this guy and see what is out on the internet.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fair enough. Like I said....this isn't just Shinkwin's fault. If the people who run the tour (whichever tour you choose) allow bad behavior to happen......I know who I would blame. Although....now I need to look up this guy and see what is out on the internet.

I think you missed the point that if it was reported or on social media the ET will take action under their code of conduct. They just won't make it public

D

Deleted member 1147

I saw/heard Donaldson & Horsfield swearing on the tv during the first Cypress event. Where was the moaning then?

Mandofred

Visit site
I think you missed the point that if it was reported or on social media the ET will take action under their code of conduct. They just won't make it public
Nope, got the point. I wrote that if they want to stop the behavior, they need to do something about it. I don't care if they make it public or not. You don't need to flog the golfer out on the street in public......although that might work.....although likely somewhat illegal these days.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I saw/heard Donaldson & Horsfield swearing on the tv during the first Cypress event. Where was the moaning then?

The one I heard Donaldson do was when he was walking off theta with Tim Barter & I'd say from his demeanour he thought he was still having a private conversation with Barter. Barter told him he was live, immediate apology, no huge issue.

I didn't hear Shinkwin but from what's been reported I'd have more of an issue with the lockdown comments than the odd swear word.

Boomy

Visit site

A few of them swore once, I’m also sure some will have been missed... but a certain person swore consistently and dropped the C bomb amongst the other things mentioned on this thread.
The one I heard Donaldson do was when he was walking off theta with Tim Barter & I'd say from his demeanour he thought he was still having a private conversation with Barter. Barter told him he was live, immediate apology, no huge issue.

I didn't hear Shinkwin but from what's been reported I'd have more of an issue with the lockdown comments than the odd swear word.

I think it was the C bomb which tipped me over the edge with his swearing.. he was dropping F bombs all over the place.

You are right though, on reflection his crass lockdown comments are certainly on par with his C bomb, if not worse for the sheer arrogance.

4LEX

Visit site
I know some Americans who have met him and agree. But if you check out lists of most hated players, which are mostly American, he features quite often. The manager of the Edwin Watts on Sand Lake Rd in Orlando told me Poults called in from time to time and the staff there all love him and think he is really pretty down to earth.

Phil Mick might be the anti-Poulter, fans seem to love him on the course, but off the course he is widely considered to be a [redacted].

I played with the Head Pro of Lake Nona last year and he confirmed Poulter is a top guy.

I think it took him a while to get the whole social media thing which is where some of the dislike comes from. Some of his earlier stuff was sheer showboating on there and he used to bite too easily. He's now the best golfer or sportsman on Instagram. Gives a genuine insight into what it's like being a tour pro behind the scenes and a family man.