Is sport now too uptight?

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
thousands who voted on the BBC today thought the Barca penalty was bad sportsmanship, I think it was brilliant, doesn't make the others wrong.

Of course it makes them wrong.

How can it be "bad sportsmanship" when it's totally legal and legitimate?

D

Deleted member 16999

I didn't say it was, it was the questioned asked, they were 4-1 up at the time and some saw it as Barca taking the p1ss and unprofessional.

D

Deleted member 15344

Can you still display "bad sportsmanship" but be within the rules ?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't say it was, it was the questioned asked, they were 4-1 up at the time and some saw it as Barca taking the p1ss and unprofessional.

I thought Barca were only 3-1 up and the penalty put them 4-1 up? Not that it makes a great deal of difference to me...

G

guest100718

Indeed not, it's like watching paint dry! However I imagine seeing a player make a maximum break would be more entertaining to paying punters than him just potting meaningless balls in a frame he'd already won.

in which case your opionion doesnt really matter.

D

Deleted member 16999

I thought Barca were only 3-1 up and the penalty put them 4-1 up? Not that it makes a great deal of difference to me...

Correct matey😃 You're like me English teacher today!! 😃

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The football thing is fine as they are still trying to score (and they did). The snooker thing was wrong in my opinion. However, he has done it on TV before and he must have racked up loads of 147's in practice so it is nothing new to him. But could you imagine a golfer missing a 1 foot putt on purpose even though he knows that he would still win the tournament by a few shots.

With regards to the snooker somebody probably lost money because they had a bet on somebody making 147.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Ronny played an easy pink instead of a risky black before the frame was secured to him while Barcelona was already 2 goals up with not much longer to play. One of them was trying to win, the other was mucking around when already secured the win.

Doesn't really matter either way, this is the one where you can find reasons to attack or defend any position you want. And most people, including me, haven't seen either scenario before the s...storm broke the news.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd say they are both slightly disrespectful, surely, but in the end not so badly that we need to really fuss? When we pay to see a professional sportsman the one thing we expect from them is that they will play to the best of their ability. In both these cases they haven't done that, they've mucked around a bit.

O'Sullivan's I think is only notable because he couldn't keep his mouth shut. Effectively "I'm not scoring a 147 unless you pay me more"? He needs to have a look at himself there, it's a bit arrogant and greedy. He knew the prizes when he entered this tournament, surely?

To answer the more general question though, absolutely. I get fed up with the instant anger and condemnation of anyone for doing anything. It isn't just sport either, is it - anyone in any sort of public awareness is liable to catch the mob mentality and even those who are just famous by accident for 15 minutes. Comedian makes a rubbish joke about a choice of clothing and he's condemned. Defender playing for a crap team tweets a picture of a car and that's indicative of all that is wrong in the game. Church of England prays for famous atheist? "Provocative, disrespectful".

Gah! So many people out there that just need to get a life and ask themselves the question "did anyone get hurt?". It's entirely correct to pick people up on things and make comments but the immediacy of the online world and the need of the media to publish content 24x7 seems to have destroyed all sense of perspective.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'd say they are both slightly disrespectful, surely, but in the end not so badly that we need to really fuss? When we pay to see a professional sportsman the one thing we expect from them is that they will play to the best of their ability. In both these cases they haven't done that, they've mucked around a bit.

O'Sullivan's I think is only notable because he couldn't keep his mouth shut. Effectively "I'm not scoring a 147 unless you pay me more"? He needs to have a look at himself there, it's a bit arrogant and greedy. He knew the prizes when he entered this tournament, surely?

To answer the more general question though, absolutely. I get fed up with the instant anger and condemnation of anyone for doing anything. It isn't just sport either, is it - anyone in any sort of public awareness is liable to catch the mob mentality and even those who are just famous by accident for 15 minutes. Comedian makes a rubbish joke about a choice of clothing and he's condemned. Defender playing for a crap team tweets a picture of a car and that's indicative of all that is wrong in the game. Church of England prays for famous atheist? "Provocative, disrespectful".

Gah! So many people out there that just need to get a life and ask themselves the question "did anyone get hurt?". It's entirely correct to pick people up on things and make comments but the immediacy of the online world and the need of the media to publish content 24x7 seems to have destroyed all sense of perspective.

Good post, very well put.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
In response to the OP then yes sport takes itself far too seriously. The media have to hype it up as it sells papers,gets listeners, viewers, subscribers, so there is a constant barrage of media attention to what in effect are very minor things.