Shinkwin is a disgrace!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Some players come across as unlikeable and people you can't really support, whether great players or not. Patrick Reed is one such player. Scott Hoch was definitely one (ask your Dads). Bubba Watson is also on my list, Sergio Garcia and Ian Poulter are on many Americans' list.

Shinkwin is definitely on the waiting list for that group. Hatton was on it too a while back, but appears to have moderated it a bit.

I looped for a gentleman in his 60's who was still a +1 golfer. He was a joy to watch. He knew Shinkwin personally and stated he had all the talent in the world as a golfer. He didn't like him in the slightest, or certainly couldn't entertain his attitude or arrogance.

That was just after he blew up at the Scottish Open at Dundonald.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I looped for a gentleman in his 60's who was still a +1 golfer. He was a joy to watch. He knew Shinkwin personally and stated he had all the talent in the world as a golfer. He didn't like him in the slightest, or certainly couldn't entertain his attitude or arrogance.

That was just after he blew up at the Scottish Open at Dundonald.

There is a thin line between confidence and arrogance. I knew a now Champions Tour player as a young player and he had some difficulties staying on the right side of the line too.

Boomy

Visit site
Haven't really followed a lot of Shankwin and missed a lot of his win last week so can't really comment on the issues other than I can understand players swearing in the heat of the moment (and the relevant tour then fining them after as it breaks their code of conduct) but if its as prevalent as suggested and comments about lockdown in the UK being crass and unnecessary I hope someone from his team get in his ear sharpish as I can see this developing into an issue for him

His comments, directly into the camera were 100% crass and unnecessary! I love a bit of banter as much as the next person, but the way he sniggered and laughed was so arrogant (very much like the behaviour of a spoilt brat or someone with a hugely overinflated self worth) He can play golf, but he’s about as professional as a pickled onion!

Bassfisher

Visit site
His comments, directly into the camera were 100% crass and unnecessary! I love a bit of banter as much as the next person, but the way he sniggered and laughed was so arrogant (very much like the behaviour of a spoilt brat or someone with a hugely overinflated self worth) He can play golf, but he’s about as professional as a pickled onion!
Totally agree , no need for it at all! I’d be upset if one of my kids talked like that

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't ever criticise a golfer for swearing, would make me the biggest hypocrite alive. Swearing doesn't bother me anyway, I don't know why anyone would get offended by seeing that. They're just words. I don't like it when they break clubs and damage the course as it makes them look entitled and petulant, but swearing, honestly who cares.

Boomy

Visit site
I can't ever criticise a golfer for swearing, would make me the biggest hypocrite alive. Swearing doesn't bother me anyway, I don't know why anyone would get offended by seeing that. They're just words. I don't like it when they break clubs and damage the course as it makes them look entitled and petulant, but swearing, honestly who cares.

Common sense really, know when to, and when not to. It’s about being professional. Not difficult really, and a lot of people care.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Common sense really, know when to, and when not to. It’s about being professional. Not difficult really, and a lot of people care.
Why though? I really don't understand people who are offended by swearwords. If he was swearing AT you and calling you this that and the other it's different. If you allow someone's choice of words to themself to offend you though, I say it's you with the problem not them. Words are just different arrangements of letters. Who decided one word is rude and another one isn't? I think it's madness to be offended by a simple choice of words with everything else that's going on in this day and age. Life's too short.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think sky actually secretly enjoy the players losing the rag and swearing.

For example. When this thread got started. I put on the golf and as luck would have it, skinkwin was hitting a drive. The camera man was positioned say 25 yards ahead of him on his right. As soon as he hit ,it zoomed right in on his face. As if willing him to drop an f-bomb on live TV.

As it was it hit the fairway and it didnt happen. We have all seen what goes into producing golf of tv. The director made that call. If they didnt want to show his behaviour it wouldn't get aired.

Boomy

Visit site
Why though? I really don't understand people who are offended by swearwords. If he was swearing AT you and calling you this that and the other it's different. If you allow someone's choice of words to themself to offend you though, I say it's you with the problem not them. Words are just different arrangements of letters. Who decided one word is rude and another one isn't? I think it's madness to be offended by a simple choice of words with everything else that's going on in this day and age. Life's too short.

Unfortunately life is too short to try and answer all of your questions. If by now you don’t know why it’s crass and unnecessary to use language like that, you probably never will. And in case you hadn’t noticed he’s not using them to himself, he’s broadcasting them on live TV with all age groups of people watching. As I said previously it’s about being professional.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately life is too short to try and answer all of your questions. If by now you don’t know why it’s crass and unnecessary to use language like that, you probably never will. And in case you hadn’t noticed he’s not using them to himself, he’s broadcasting them on live TV with all age groups of people watching. As I said previously it’s about being professional.
As @garyinderry touched upon, perhaps the blame is on Sky? If he swears once they could easily cut sound and avoid showing him in close-up again. But presumably, they haven't. They know plenty of amateur golfers enjoy seeing a professional having the odd outburst and feeling the frustration that we do.

I don't think it's unprofessional to swear. Golf is frustrating, and swearing releases frustration. As a professional sportsman it has to be better for your game to release that frustration and tension with a simple choice word or two than to bottle it up and let it potentially affect your next shot. I'm sure 90% of pro golfers swear, you're just hearing it more now there's no crowd noise.

Boomy

Visit site
As @garyinderry touched upon, perhaps the blame is on Sky? If he swears once they could easily cut sound and avoid showing him in close-up again. But presumably, they haven't. They know plenty of amateur golfers enjoy seeing a professional having the odd outburst and feeling the frustration that we do.

I don't think it's unprofessional to swear. Golf is frustrating, and swearing releases frustration. As a professional sportsman it has to be better for your game to release that frustration and tension with a simple choice word or two than to bottle it up and let it potentially affect your next shot. I'm sure 90% of pro golfers swear, you're just hearing it more now there's no crowd noise.

We’ll have to agree to disagree I’m afraid as I really do think it comes down to professionalism. All pro’s hit an errant shot, miss a putt or fluff a chip but not all of them drop the C bomb so loudly you could hear it without the TV. You can show frustration and let it out without swearing profusely - it’s about having some class and even more so when you know you’re on live TV.
I agree that Sky could do more to prevent it, perhaps a small time lapse to muffle out any unnecessary language, and yes the lack of crowds doesn’t help.
His UK lockdown commentary direct to the audience was also crass, and again unprofessional - again it’s about having some class.
As I originally said, he can play golf but he’s about as professional as a pickled onion.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Well, it is unprofessional at least as far as following the regulations of the European Tour and the preferences of the broadcaster is concerned.

sunshine

Visit site

A lot of people swear, especially playing golf, it does that to you. It doesn't bother me personally, but do you think it's ok for children to hear that? Especially if they then copy it?

If you made a mistake at the office would you stomp around f'ing and blinding for all your customers and colleagues to hear? A pro golfer on live TV has a duty to act in a professional manner in his place of work.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of people swear, especially playing golf, it does that to you. It doesn't bother me personally, but do you think it's ok for children to hear that? Especially if they then copy it?
Yeah, not bothered.

If you made a mistake at the office would you stomp around f'ing and blinding for all your customers and colleagues to hear?
Probably! :LOL:

D

Deleted member 25172

Unacceptable. I'd hate to play with anyone who swears on a course and would most certainly not make use of any bad language myself. :sneaky:

Mandofred

Visit site
As usual, people are getting upset about minor etiquette details. I swear more than I should....but at our last away day with our Saturday group one of them kind of insisted on saying a blessing before we ate. I was really irritated about being forced into that situation....should praying be banned from the course?

The networks can solve it if they want...but anything for ratings..... don't just blame this Shinkwin guy. I don't even know who he is since I rarely watch golf. I also really can't imagine too many young people/children glued to the screen watching golf (I mean really.....children watching golf??). Think of all the tv shows etc that allow swearing now....things change.