What a difference a lesson makes - if the teacher is good!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Traditionally I down tools in the winter, and while golf plays on my mind a little it is nothing like the spring/summer when it's all-consuming. But around this time last year I had a few lessons with a good pro who has since left the country, and it improved my game, handicap and enjoyment of the season. So I said I'd try to find a new teacher who spoke my language, and I contacted our very own Bobmac who I met yesterday.

I went into the lesson hoping for something to work on towards a little improvement, but more so just to see if in Feb/March time I might visit him again and kick on a bit more next season.

Mind. Blown.

I hit a few nice drives and I know that isn't my main issue so we quickly said that's not worth working on right now.

Irons: My quality of strike was variable, and regardless of where the fault was occurring Bob gave me one thought to work on through the transition which had me instantly hitting better trajectories and contacts. Something to work on.

Wedges. Huge change here, completely different way to contact the ball and the level of control was unlike anything I’ve had before. Again, work to do but this is a step-change in my approach play as it extends to short irons too.

Putting. I didn’t think we'd even look at it, but he instantly diagnosed my main flaw and more importantly gave me the mechanism to change it. I actually want to get on a putting green and practice. I don’t think I’ve ever said that.

This is the salient point, rather than focussing on the fault(s), he gives you something positive to work on that fixes it/them, and that can only come from years of experience. Okay so everyone is different and if you're starting from a place where you have many flaws it might take a bit more work but the instant improvement was undeniable. What that translates to next season we shall see, but its very exciting.

It was at once the cheapest and most expensive lesson yet, because he waaaaayyyyy undercharged me (doesn't time fly?!) and advised that I'm probably outgrowing my old G15s and should think about the i range. Also good advice on my poorly conceived wedge set up. So I’ll be on the lookout for a few bits after Christmas. So from a state of mind that was completely unfussed about swinging a club until the worst of winter is over us it is now all I can think about again. I’m excited, energised, dying to get to the range/putting green and literally cant wait until the start of the season. I have a feeling its going to be a good one.

Thank you Bob – see you again next year, very much looking forward to it!

Oh and you know what? Turns out he's just a bloody nice bloke and all. :thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Traditionally I down tools in the winter, and while golf plays on my mind a little it is nothing like the spring/summer when it's all-consuming. But around this time last year I had a few lessons with a good pro who has since left the country, and it improved my game, handicap and enjoyment of the season. So I said I'd try to find a new teacher who spoke my language, and I contacted our very own Bobmac who I met yesterday.

I went into the lesson hoping for something to work on towards a little improvement, but more so just to see if in Feb/March time I might visit him again and kick on a bit more next season.

Mind. Blown.

I hit a few nice drives and I know that isn't my main issue so we quickly said that's not worth working on right now.

Irons: My quality of strike was variable, and regardless of where the fault was occurring Bob gave me one thought to work on through the transition which had me instantly hitting better trajectories and contacts. Something to work on.

Wedges. Huge change here, completely different way to contact the ball and the level of control was unlike anything I’ve had before. Again, work to do but this is a step-change in my approach play as it extends to short irons too.

Putting. I didn’t think we'd even look at it, but he instantly diagnosed my main flaw and more importantly gave me the mechanism to change it. I actually want to get on a putting green and practice. I don’t think I’ve ever said that.

This is the salient point, rather than focussing on the fault(s), he gives you something positive to work on that fixes it/them, and that can only come from years of experience. Okay so everyone is different and if you're starting from a place where you have many flaws it might take a bit more work but the instant improvement was undeniable. What that translates to next season we shall see, but its very exciting.

It was at once the cheapest and most expensive lesson yet, because he waaaaayyyyy undercharged me (doesn't time fly?!) and advised that I'm probably outgrowing my old G15s and should think about the i range. Also good advice on my poorly conceived wedge set up. So I’ll be on the lookout for a few bits after Christmas. So from a state of mind that was completely unfussed about swinging a club until the worst of winter is over us it is now all I can think about again. I’m excited, energised, dying to get to the range/putting green and literally cant wait until the start of the season. I have a feeling its going to be a good one.

Thank you Bob – see you again next year, very much looking forward to it!

Oh and you know what? Turns out he's just a bloody nice bloke and all. :thup:
All sounded good, until the last sentence. Are you sure that was Bob you saw ?:whistle:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words Dave, they've cheered me up after a day fending off the mad road users of Lincolnshire :mad:

I look forward to seeing the improvements in the new year.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words Dave, they've cheered me up after a day fending off the mad road users of Lincolnshire :mad:
I look forward to seeing the improvements in the new year.

No pressure! Range tomorrow night after work, it begins...

Bobs tips on here are spot on.
Keeps it very simple & easy to understand .
Top man.

You're absolutely right and I understood them so even better one-to-one, very practical.

Impressive that Bob looked at all parts of your game!

I know! Like I say it surpassed all expectations.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ha ha, no I understand, sometimes everything works while you're on the range with the pro and next time out all the magic has been lost somewhere in between. Not this evening. I'm not saying it was 100 great shots out of 100, with a couple of things to work on I hit some poor ones, but the vast majority were better contacts than I've ever had previously. Wedges are far more crisp, irons have a more powerful flight.

I did the "ball behind the other ball" drill and found that while concentrating on that I became very quick. I'm also forgetting about the transition. Once I realised I slowed it down, focussed on both, and struck the ball very well. Even my traditional nemesis, the Mizuno Mp52 6 iron that usually reminds me how ordinary I am, was a weapon tonight. Exciting times.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ha ha, no I understand, sometimes everything works while you're on the range with the pro and next time out all the magic has been lost somewhere in between. Not this evening. I'm not saying it was 100 great shots out of 100, with a couple of things to work on I hit some poor ones, but the vast majority were better contacts than I've ever had previously. Wedges are far more crisp, irons have a more powerful flight.

I did the "ball behind the other ball" drill and found that while concentrating on that I became very quick. I'm also forgetting about the transition. Once I realised I slowed it down, focussed on both, and struck the ball very well. Even my traditional nemesis, the Mizuno Mp52 6 iron that usually reminds me how ordinary I am, was a weapon tonight. Exciting times.

Top man