Scottish v English football

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes a rugby tackle back in the 70's - doesn't make my point any less valid

Don't see the problem. Fiercely competitive Edinburgh derby. Always going to be fouls and a passionate air on and off the pitch. Seems to have been a full blooded match. Possession with no end ball is more sleep inducing than two team going at it hammer and tongs. Lets face it fifteen passes across the back four, midfield and the keeper to get the ball just into the opponents half where it breaks down. High level stuff for the stattos only

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't see the problem. Fiercely competitive Edinburgh derby. Always going to be fouls and a passionate air on and off the pitch. Seems to have been a full blooded match. Possession with no end ball is more sleep inducing than two team going at it hammer and tongs. Lets face it fifteen passes across the back four, midfield and the keeper to get the ball just into the opponents half where it breaks down. High level stuff for the stattos only

When did anyone say it was a problem ?

I just asked why it's proper football because it includes lots of fouls and red cards ?

Swansea played very well yesterday and got a win against a bigger team - certainly no sleep was happening for their fans.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you two really need to infect every thread with your needless and incessant bickering. Why don't you do everyone else on the forum a favour and stick each other on ignore and give us all a break.

D

Deleted member 15344

A rugby tackle...........he jumped on the forwards back after he skinned him, hence Crazy Horse.
Even the rugger guys would see that as unsporting.

Oh certainly was a "crazy tackle" - not think it wasn't long after that he was moved into the back four - turning speed of an oil tanker at times

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do you two really need to infect every thread with your needless and incessant bickering. Why don't you do everyone else on the forum a favour and stick each other on ignore and give us all a break.

I'm not bickering. Just intrigued to know what "proper football". It is a forum after all and you seem to be the only mod that ever has the issue.

As a side note I've watched a bit of the Scottish football this season and while the quality hasn't been great, it seems that all the teams are actually playing for a win. I've not seen a game where a team has really sat back and played for a draw. Quite refreshing

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think 'proper football' is about desperately trying to win for your team and the fans/friends/relatives/workmates etc.

Football is so rich these days it is difficult to recognise it from the days of my youth when it used to be the game of the common/working man/woman.

Fly by night players form countries thousands of miles from the fan base of clubs turn up take the eye watering money offered to them and then quickly go home.
One even wanted to leave Newcastle because the disrespected him by forgetting his birthday.

£75.00 a ticket to watch the quality of the likes of West Ham...........as they say down there.........yer avin a laff.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think 'proper football' is about desperately trying to win for your team and the fans/friends/relatives/workmates etc.

Football is so rich these days it is difficult to recognise it from the days of my youth when it used to be the game of the common/working man/woman.

Fly by night players form countries thousands of miles from the fan base of clubs turn up take the eye watering money offered to them and then quickly go home.
One even wanted to leave Newcastle because the disrespected him by forgetting his birthday.

£75.00 a ticket to watch the quality of the likes of West Ham...........as they say down there.........yer avin a laff.

Couldn't agree more. My own side had a mare last year, with three managers, several senior players clearly not wanting to put a shift in and we were rubbish. The manager (who I don't think is the right man.. that's another topic) has started this season with a raft of youngsters. We've lost both games but they've put a shift in and look like they want to play for the club. As long as they put a performance in, many of our fans will put up with bad results, certainly short term and take the longer term view we need to get worse before we get better again

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice wee win for Hearts against Hibs in Britain's most exciting league.
Joint leaders with Queen of the South and Raith Rovers

3 goals, 11 shots on target, 40 fouls and two sent off.........proper mens fitba.

Given it's the second tier of Scottish football I thought the quality wasn't too bad, but it would appear I'm in the minority of Hibs supporters.A draw would have been fair too, but the Indian sign still lingers over my club in derby matches.

Sounds like a real derby played with commitment and passion. My mate Fish will be miserable then as a Hibbie

Big Fish from Fife?Does guided tours around Scotland? Good lad.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Given it's the second tier of Scottish football I thought the quality wasn't too bad, but it would appear I'm in the minority of Hibs supporters.A draw would have been fair too, but the Indian sign still lingers over my club in derby matches.

Big Fish from Fife?Does guided tours around Scotland? Good lad.

Fish aka the Haddington Bear, aka rock singer from Marillion and now enjoys a successful solo career. He was far from happy and last hear dof consoling himself with a bottle of Chilean Red

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well I watched the Swansea backs pass the ball to each other for about 15 passes yesterday. No attempt by the ManU players to win the ball.
I can assure you that was sleep inducing.

Indeed, I'm inclined to agree - though if it only happens occasionally, I can forgive it.

That was what the majority of Italian Football was like when I watched it in the 90s and I haven't watched much of it since!

Haven't seen enough German Football to write that off, but Spanish stuff, mainly at the top, is my 'preference' to simply watch - for entertainment as opposed to actually follow/support. Best balance of skill, speed, possession and probing for me. Hugely disappointed in the amount of diving though!

EPL is pretty good, but cheating - diving, leaning, holding etc - still isn't dealt with how I'd like (sin bin) as well as the occasional pedestrian 'build-up' and hopeless hopeful balls! Mind you, I can remember watching some games when I felt like shouting 'just shoot!' when the ball was being passed around looking for the 'perfect magic goal' opportunity!

D

Deleted member 15344

Indeed, I'm inclined to agree - though if it only happens occasionally, I can forgive it.

That was what the majority of Italian Football was like when I watched it in the 90s and I haven't watched much of it since!

Haven't seen enough German Football to write that off, but Spanish stuff, mainly at the top, is my 'preference' to simply watch - for entertainment as opposed to actually follow/support. Best balance of skill, speed, possession and probing for me. Hugely disappointed in the amount of diving though!

EPL is pretty good, but cheating - diving, leaning, holding etc - still isn't dealt with how I'd like (sin bin) as well as the occasional pedestrian 'build-up' and hopeless hopeful balls! Mind you, I can remember watching some games when I felt like shouting 'just shoot!' when the ball was being passed around looking for the 'perfect magic goal' opportunity!

It's quite interesting that the top Spanish teams is your preference then go on to mention the ball being passed around in the EPL looking for the "perfect magical goal" and also sleep inducing when the one team that does it more than most is - Barcelona :confused: