Scottish v English football

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At least the pitchside advertising in Scottish games (where there is any :)) is static, and not as bleedin' irritating and distracting as the flashing, ever moving stuff pitchside of EPL clubs.

I also read that Chelsea have new LED floodlighting that also lights up the first ten rows of seating. At least that'll keep the narcissists in these rows happy as they'll be easy to spot and their own vids of players taking a throw in (fascinating these) will be beautifully lit. Never mind that one of the great pleasures of watching a night game under floodlights is how the pitch is lit and the focus of attention in the dark. Someone suggested that watching Chelsea at night sitting in the front rows will be like sitting in the cinema watching a film with the auditorium lights on.

I can't see any Scottish club 'investing' in such lighting for a long time.

D

Deleted member 15344

At least the pitchside advertising in Scottish games (where there is any :)) is static, and not as bleedin' irritating and distracting as the flashing, ever moving stuff pitchside of EPL clubs.

I also read that Chelsea have new LED floodlighting that also lights up the first ten rows of seating. At least that'll keep the narcissists in these rows happy as they'll be easy to spot and their own vids of players taking a throw in (fascinating these) will be beautifully lit. Never mind that one of the great pleasures of watching a night game under floodlights is how the pitch is lit and the focus of attention in the dark. Someone suggested that watching Chelsea at night sitting in the front rows will be like sitting in the cinema watching a film with the auditorium lights on.

I can't see any Scottish club 'investing' in such lighting for a long time.

Has it really reached the level of the "advertising boards" at grounds to try and find something that is better in Scottish football :rofl:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That moving pitch side advertising is truly awful.
All done for the TV watchers and sod the actual fans in the ground.

Are clubs that desperate for money that they spoil the game for all concerned.

D

Deleted member 15344

That moving pitch side advertising is truly awful.
All done for the TV watchers and sod the actual fans in the ground.

Are clubs that desperate for money that they spoil the game for all concerned.

I guess most football fans are too busy concentrating on the actual football going on

Never noticed the advertising much both watching at home or at the ground

How exactly does it effect the fans at the ground ?!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The electronic hoardings are designed to get your attention but there seems little in the way of guidelines as to what's permissible (I've even seen a rolling football while play is underway and background colours that completely mask/clash with team shirts)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The electronic hoardings are designed to get your attention but there seems little in the way of guidelines as to what's permissible (I've even seen a rolling football while play is underway and background colours that completely mask/clash with team shirts)

I agree. Even with the most exciting games (not that Fulham had many last year) these things still capture the eye and take you away from the action. Of course that's exactly what they're supposed to do but annoying. I can remember the good(??:confused:) old days when they were in the old Div 4 and there was a static advert for years in the corner of the Putney End at the Cottage so it could be easily seen by the Fulham fans from their end, advertising the local Samaritans.

I suppose these hoardings make a change from reading the programme if the game's dull

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Exactly why I dislike them.

Not so bad when you are sitting high up but more distracting when nearer ground level.
They really cheapen the product IMO.

D

Deleted member 15344

Shame then that the clubs themselves don't think so

I'm pretty sure that most clubs will understand that without those 22 men everything else is irrelevant - advertising isn't just all over football - look at the advertising around a golf tournament and on the players themselves , in fact pick any sport.

Advertising brings in revenue to enable the tournaments or teams etc to bring in the best quality to ensure the best event they can put on

If people are far too busy concentrating on that advertising then

1. What's going on during the game is rubbish quality

2. They have no interest in the game

3. They have no attention span at all

You go to watch the sport - watch the sport.

D

Deleted member 18588

If these things are distracting your attention maybe you should not be watching the game.

After all if the game is that bad it is time to either turn off the telly or, if at the game, have a chat with your mate. With my team I have had plenty of experience of this!

I can honestly say that, neither on TV or at live matches, the hoardings have never bothered me. Their effectiveness is,I would think, questionable as I can never remember who is advertising on them.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that most clubs will understand that without those 22 men everything else is irrelevant - advertising isn't just all over football - look at the advertising around a golf tournament and on the players themselves , in fact pick any sport.

Advertising brings in revenue to enable the tournaments or teams etc to bring in the best quality to ensure the best event they can put on

If people are far too busy concentrating on that advertising then

1. What's going on during the game is rubbish quality

2. They have no interest in the game

3. They have no attention span at all

You go to watch the sport - watch the sport.

Ah c'mon now Phil did you really think we needed to be told that advertising brings in revenue, really who'd have thunk it!

Its not about being too busy concentrating on ads, its about being distracted by them (with the clubs blessing)

So in the name of revenue you're happy to have an electronic football roll across a hoarding in the opposite direction to the ball in play? or a red flashing hoarding behind the Liverpool player in possession (there's a reason clubs have an away strip you know)

And well done on the veiled insult about our attention spans, great contribution, take a boo son!