Scottish v English football

C

c1973

Aye - they increased it to 12 to try and ensure that St Johnstone stayed in it more often - the mega draw and TV attraction that the mighty Saintees are - and it's worked :)

I thought the league was reconstructed to 12 teams to keep Aberdeen in the top tier. :whistle:

But,yeah the farming community have enjoyed a good few years of top flight football. ;)

C

c1973

If we increased the top tier to 16 and everyone played each other home and away only there are teams who would vanish in a year or 2

Agreed.

I've always wanted 2 leagues of 16 (playing 4 times a year, cups not included is brutal) but financially it just wouldn't work (imho).

It might work if we adopted a proper pyramid system like England and big, well supported Junior teams like Auchinleck Talbot, Irvine Meadow, Camelon etc etc worked their way up through the divisions. But it won't happen.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
People can say what they like about a 16 team league, the bottom line is this, small teams need 2 gates against the larger clubs who bring a decent support they also would drop revenue when they drop to 16 home games but still have the same wages. Clubs cannot afford that.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
People can say what they like about a 16 team league, the bottom line is this, small teams need 2 gates against the larger clubs who bring a decent support they also would drop revenue when they drop to 16 home games but still have the same wages. Clubs cannot afford that.

I understand that but how do 'large teams' become large teams.
Hearts have played to full houses most of the season [15/16k], Aberdeen's crowds have improved. Dundee have increased the fan pool since there return to the top table.
It is teams like St Johnstone, Hamilton and ICT who find it hard to drive up their numbers despite playing some good fitba.
I have always believed if we could ship out the Ugly Sisters we would have a more competitive league with larger attendances.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
60k Celtic fans won't go and watch other teams like wise at Rangers, both stadiums and Rangers in particular are empty, Celtic getting about 35-40k, there is potentially 60k fans who were regulars not going to games anymore

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the solution for Scotland is the League Cup.Make it exactly that: a league. 16 team league, home and away, and a league cup.Would fill the gap of lost league fixtures.Maybe 4 groups of 4 home and away?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I understand that but how do 'large teams' become large teams.
Hearts have played to full houses most of the season [15/16k], Aberdeen's crowds have improved. Dundee have increased the fan pool since there return to the top table.
It is teams like St Johnstone, Hamilton and ICT who find it hard to drive up their numbers despite playing some good fitba.
I have always believed if we could ship out the Ugly Sisters we would have a more competitive league with larger attendances.

We (the Saints of Perth) did get a 3-3 draw at home against AS Monaco back in 1999-2000

And last few years we've had a few Europa victories home and away

Still can't get the fans through the doors.

C

c1973

I think the solution for Scotland is the League Cup.Make it exactly that: a league. 16 team league, home and away, and a league cup.Would fill the gap of lost league fixtures.Maybe 4 groups of 4 home and away?

They changed the League Cup from a league format to straight knockout years ago as fans had lost interest in it. Not so sure it would be any different nowadays.