Scottish v English football

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've know for a long time that Scottish football isn't very good and the English PL is better.

Well I watched the Scottish League cup final yesterday then match of the day with a select few English PL games.

The difference isn't as big as people have said..........it's bigger, much much bigger, not just a different planet but a completely different dimension in time and space.

For the avoidance of doubt I thoroughly enjoyed and was entertained by all the EPL games shown.:clap:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The REALLY depressing thing is that the SL Cup final was actually a relatively good & open game to watch compared to most of what we find on Sportscene. Sad but true.:(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I only caught the end of extra time and the direct free kick efforts that each team had from just outside the box rather summed up a nil-nil draw - with both free kicks being blootered way over the crossbar. Disappointing show given the tremendous crowd. An opportunity to show that Scottish football is OK and more than just Celtic and Sevco lost.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Birchy predicts this wont end well.

Im out :D

Light blue touchpaper and....

well comments like that dont help- its the farthest thing from the intention of the post. I dont follow football, not for a long time since I stopped playing, then I 'stumbled across' the cup final while 'flicking'............yes Flicking!! then watched match of the day when there was nothing else on...........and was pleasantly surprised, so posted to that effect.

It's not a written rule that a football thread should end up badly, says more about the posters if it does.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The ICT v Aberdeen game was poor. The ball was airborne for half the game. I thing at one point they had seven headers in a row.
It was like watching volleyball with heads.
However the Hearts v ICT semi final game was a real blood and snotters exciting game to watch. Not as skilful as most EPL games but proper 'mens' fitba.
If the Scottish game had 25% of the money floating around the English game you would see a considerable improvement.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The ICT v Aberdeen game was poor. The ball was airborne for half the game. I thing at one point they had seven headers in a row.
It was like watching volleyball with heads.
However the Hearts v ICT semi final game was a real blood and snotters exciting game to watch. Not as skilful as most EPL games but proper 'mens' fitba.
If the Scottish game had 25% of the money floating around the English game you would see a considerable improvement.

25%? 5% would make a huge difference for clubs such as mine (St Johnstone). Solid financial management; pretty good academy, scouting and player development; just bugger all money to attract players from the English Leagues 1 and 2 (realistic - see) who we could develop and build into our team and into something pretty useful. Ah well - bring on the Sheep in the Scottish Cup semis.

hoop67

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've know for a long time that Scottish football isn't very good and the English PL is better.

Well I watched the Scottish League cup final yesterday then match of the day with a select few English PL games.

The difference isn't as big as people have said..........it's bigger, much much bigger, not just a different planet but a completely different dimension in time and space.

For the avoidance of doubt I thoroughly enjoyed and was entertained by all the EPL games shown.:clap:

I watched the spanish highlights and compared to the epl spanish football is in a different planet.German football to is much better to watch.Compare the countries with the same kind of money that is thrown at the epl.The best players in the world wouldn't come to the epl.That tells a story.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
With the amount of money pumped into the EPL compared to SPL it's hardly surprising the difference in quality.

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site
Rooneys weekly wage is almost certainly more than the total of the 22 players who started the final, impossible to compare

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
The difference between EPL and SPL is big but not as big as the difference between IPL and SPL lol.

then you get Barca and Real Madrid and they make the EPL looks so poor in comparison.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem with Scottish football nowadays is for years and years our clubs and international teams punched way above their weights and created a level of expectation that was always going to be difficult to live up to when you remember just how small a country we are and how small a population Scotland has.

When you compare us relatively with countries of the same population we don't actually do too bad. For example Finland has roughly the same population as Scotland but does it be deemed embarrassing when the champions of Finland go out of Europe in the early stages or is it a national shame when they don't qualify for the World Cup? No it's not and I'm sure if you compare Scottish teams results at both club and international level over the years you will find Scotland has done rather better and it will be the same result if you compare us against other small countries of similar sizes.

I know we were the first country ever to qualify (as in through the qualification process and not as hosts/holders) for 5 world cups in a row (from 1974 - 1990) and I doubt any other small country has done it since and very few of the bigger ones will have either and certainly not England (yet).

I'm a Dunfermline Athletic supporter and followed them home and away for 20 years before moving to Ireland and grew up watching Scottish football and I love it, it may not be the best technically or get the biggest crowds but you know what? Watching two teams go at each other blood and thunder excites me way more than watching the tippy-tappy so called technically brilliant style of Barcelona, which bores me to tears.

Wha's Like Us?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
After watching some of the cup final between Aberdeen and ICT the only conclusion that can be made is Scottish football is crap. As Smange has pointed out club and national teams have consistently punched above their weight and let expectation rise when in reality even qualifying for anything is a huge achievement for the national team and getting through any qualifying rounds for club teams is about a realistic as we should be.

That said the quality of football from anywhere say 6th down in the premiership in England seems to be about the same standard but because of the tv deal and being constantly told it is the greatest league in the world some seem to believe the hype....

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Scottish national side doing well and some talented youngsters coming through. The PL is over hyped and I'd rather watch the Spanish or Bundesliga. Technically better players and games seem far more open and entertaining. Sadly the state of the national game is in decline and England will never be as good as the media thinks it should be. The golden goose will die sooner or later and what then?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Bundesliga is dominated by munich. They buy all the best players, which renders it a no contest. They are barca light, but no messi. Spanish league is real or barca, no one else troubles them. Epl, any one can beat anyone. Witness Chelsea v Aston villa. Epl at its best. It's the best league by far. It just is.