Scottish Golf WHS migration to DotGolf

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
App has been UPDATED by moving it to a new platform. That is not BINNED.

If there was no SG app anymore it would be binned. It's called evolving and listening to feedback.
Are you able to download the OCS App today? How about the dotgolf one? Binned. Scrapped. Starting from Scratch.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
App has been UPDATED by moving it to a new platform. That is not BINNED.

If there was no SG app anymore it would be binned. It's called evolving and listening to feedback.
The OCS software does not exist. The dot.golf software did and still does. HM (eg) have just released a new version of their front end to enable all Scottish clubs to interface with WHS.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The OCS software does not exist. The dot.golf software did and still does. HM (eg) have just released a new version of their front end to enable all Scottish clubs to interface with WHS.

As I said they are moving it to another provider. The App will still be called SG. Moving to a new platform.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I understood it is new software. It has not been moved.
You understand correctly, there is nothing about the new App and backend carried over from the old provider. They are not "moving" so that someone else takes over the running of the software, it's all new.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You understand correctly, there is nothing about the new App and backend carried over from the old provider. They are not "moving" so that someone else takes over the running of the software, it's all new.

Are Scottish Golf keeping an app? Answer is yes therefore the app is not binned like you said.

My Tesco Clubcard App is moving to another provider of the App does that mean Tesco are "binning the App" no it means they're moving to a new provider.

Not really difficult to understand. Surprised your stick hasn't broken yet.

Doesn't really matter who is providing the app - the app will be a SG app for golfers to use.

You can continue to berate SG all you like but the bottom line is they've listened to the feedback and taken action to rectify that. The crux appears that they've not done it quickly enough for you therefore you feel justified in your constant negativity and "told you so". That's fine - you can continue to use other scoring apps should you wish.

I for one am looking forward to the SG app relaunch.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that. A few questions if you don't mind.
Is the app
1) confined to phones or will it work on pcs?
2) Does it have any other functionality (eg club management a la ClubV1, IG, HM) or tee booking (eg BRS)?
3) Does it manage comps in addition to scores?
4) Can it be used with or does it need other ISV software?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Thanks for that. A few questions if you don't mind.
Is the app
1) confined to phones or will it work on pcs?
2) Does it have any other functionality (eg club management a la ClubV1, IG, HM) or tee booking (eg BRS)?
3) Does it manage comps in addition to scores?
4) Can it be used with or does it need other ISV software?
1) confined to phones or will it work on pcs? - Tee booking is going to be available on the club websites, and is already available by logging into the SG portal
2) Does it have any other functionality (eg club management a la ClubV1, IG, HM) or tee booking (eg BRS)? - VMS (the totally new version of the club management back end) will accompany the App, tee booking etc will all be available through the App
3) Does it manage comps in addition to scores? - no the back end manages comps, the App is the member facing part of the equation just as the EG app is
4) Can it be used with or does it need other ISV software? - If a club adopts the new VMS back end then that is the only software needed, unless they themselves want to continue with something else as well. Many clubs didn't adopt the old VMS as it wasn't up to scratch when they looked at it, it was mainly smaller clubs who needed to save the pennies that took the plunge

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That's fine - you can continue to use other scoring apps should you wish.
I don't use any apps for scoring, both my clubs and every Open I've played have gone back to scorecards once covid restrictions were lifted

I for one am looking forward to the SG app relaunch.
As am I, the defunct App & back end caused no end of issues, the new back end appears to be miles better, though still full of bugs at the moment, they should have learned lessons, so hopefully less stress all round

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) confined to phones or will it work on pcs? - Tee booking is going to be available on the club websites, and is already available by logging into the SG portal
2) Does it have any other functionality (eg club management a la ClubV1, IG, HM) or tee booking (eg BRS)? - VMS (the totally new version of the club management back end) will accompany the App, tee booking etc will all be available through the App
3) Does it manage comps in addition to scores? - no the back end manages comps, the App is the member facing part of the equation just as the EG app is
4) Can it be used with or does it need other ISV software? - If a club adopts the new VMS back end then that is the only software needed, unless they themselves want to continue with something else as well. Many clubs didn't adopt the old VMS as it wasn't up to scratch when they looked at it, it was mainly smaller clubs who needed to save the pennies that took the plunge
Thanks. Very informative. One follow up.
Can a club skip the app and VMS and simply use any standard ISV? (HM's update notes imply this is so)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Thanks. Very informative. One follow up.
Can a club skip the app and VMS and simply use any standard ISV? (HM's update notes imply this is so)
Yes to the app, if you're using HDID for instance then crack on.

However even clubs that use a 3rd party to supply their back end like HDID/Club2000 need a basic log in for the VMS system, as that is the control for handicaps, everthing is centralised by Scottish Golf now as far as playing records go.

So as an example, my club here Banchory use Club2000 for everything, tee bookings, comps, results, opens, bar records, membership, messaging members, but still have to log into VMS to check players correct handicap records and/or if they were going to adjust someone for eg.

edit: Should add, all Scottish golfers can download the App, even if their club is not using it for their domestic internal comps etc, you have a login for SG and can access your full playing record there, and use it for GP scores, either at home or away

Last edited:

IanMcC

Visit site
I was on Scottish Golf with and English CDH.

Following the change I cannot get on as my CDH beginning with 1 is not recognised.

written to SG without success.

Any ideas please?

Wales and England both use the dotgolf software. If someone with an English CDH number (starting in a 1) wants to join us in Wales, we have to create a new CDH number starting with a 6 in their profile. All rounds are updated for each CDH number then. Your administrators at your club should be able to do this.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes to the app, if you're using HDID for instance then crack on.

However even clubs that use a 3rd party to supply their back end like HDID/Club2000 need a basic log in for the VMS system, as that is the control for handicaps, everthing is centralised by Scottish Golf now as far as playing records go.

So as an example, my club here Banchory use Club2000 for everything, tee bookings, comps, results, opens, bar records, membership, messaging members, but still have to log into VMS to check players correct handicap records and/or if they were going to adjust someone for eg.

edit: Should add, all Scottish golfers can download the App, even if their club is not using it for their domestic internal comps etc, you have a login for SG and can access your full playing record there, and use it for GP scores, either at home or away
Similar to the WHS Portal then?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd be interest in how much this switch has cost. If I remember rightly it spent a fair amount developing the app and deciding to go with its own software, now its going with another provider and scrapped its own.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I'd be interest in how much this switch has cost. If I remember rightly it spent a fair amount developing the app and deciding to go with its own software, now its going with another provider and scrapped its own.
As long as they don't bump their subs then I'm nae fussed, but yes someone has a financial hole on their hands

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It allows direct access to the WHS system. The facilities are limited by 'status'. (ie member, h'cap committee, county etc)
Yeah so that's what the clubs who use a 3rd party provider for their back end, will use, every club has to use the SG VMS for access to the WHS system