New to Golf - Help with Package Sets Please

Mackrel829

Visit site
Hi all!

I played golf very casually during my teens but haven't played for about 10 years. I'm looking to get back into the sport and would appreciate some advice about potential clubs to get me started again.

Firstly, it very much seems that package sets are the ideal place for beginners to start. Whilst they may not offer the highest quality of club, they seem to be the best value for money by far, and they get you out on the course immediately. A package set seems better than buying a high quality driver, one or two irons, one wedge and a putter. Is this generally correct?

Secondly, if I should get a package set, what should I be looking for?

https://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/macgregor-dct3000-stand-bag-package-set-graphite

This set seems to be the best value for money that I can find. It has the most clubs, and appears to be fairly high quality. MacGregor is a more reputable name brand than others in the same price range, also.

https://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/macgregor-cg3000-stand-bag-package-set-graphite

This set is also by MacGregor. It's fairly significantly cheaper than the previous set, but you get two fewer clubs, and they look a little lower in quality, though it's hard to tell simply from pictures.

Do I really need the two extra clubs provided in the first set? Is the quality of the first set likely to actually be of sufficiently higher quality to warrant spending the additional money?

Finally, does anyone have any recommendations for a package set around the same price range - £300-400?

Thanks in advance!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi all!

I played golf very casually during my teens but haven't played for about 10 years. I'm looking to get back into the sport and would appreciate some advice about potential clubs to get me started again.

Firstly, it very much seems that package sets are the ideal place for beginners to start. Whilst they may not offer the highest quality of club, they seem to be the best value for money by far, and they get you out on the course immediately. A package set seems better than buying a high quality driver, one or two irons, one wedge and a putter. Is this generally correct?

https://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/macgregor-dct3000-stand-bag-package-set-graphite

This set seems to be the best value for money that I can find. It has the most clubs, and appears to be fairly high quality. MacGregor is a more reputable name brand than others in the same price range, also.

https://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/macgregor-cg3000-stand-bag-package-set-graphite

This set is also by MacGregor. It's fairly significantly cheaper than the previous set, but you get two fewer clubs, and they look a little lower in quality, though it's hard to tell simply from pictures.

Do I really need the two extra clubs provided in the first set? Is the quality of the first set likely to actually be of sufficiently higher quality to warrant spending the additional money?

Finally, does anyone have any recommendations for a package set around the same price range - £300-400?

Thanks in advance!
I bought my lad his first full set of clubs about 15years ago - a full set of Dunlop 65i plus putter and bag - new for £69 (from Sports Direct I think - they did the job to get him going) - so starter sets I am sure can come a lot cheaper. However I suggest many here will point you to Golfbidder for second/third hand sets of better clubs than the Macgregors for the same or less money. Question will be if you think you need new. That said the Macgregors look fine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most people would advise you get second hand stuff that's around 4-5 years old as you'll probably keep them for longer, plus you'll be able to sell them on when you replace them without losing much.

If you do get a starter set, you'll probably want to be upgrading with new clubs after not very long, and then you won't get much for selling it on. But if you still want to go that way as it's easier, you could just get this cheap half set from Decathlon: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/golf-kit-7-clubs-adult-100-righty-size-2-steel/_/R-p-307041
You'll need a bag also, they do this fairly cheap one: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/golf-stand-bag-ultralight-blue/_/R-p-156812 but you could always get a nicer bag elsewhere that'll last you a while.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When i started i did the same, got a cheap starter set, it did me for a few weeks before i had to upgrade, so i'd suggest as others have to go SH. it will be worth it in the long run

D

Deleted member 1147

When my sister took the game up Benross did packages of clubs, bag etc. It came at a decent price and was good equipment for a beginner.

I'd recommend looking into whether they still do them.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Hi all!

Thanks in advance!

Id just echo what has been said above. Dont waste your money on a package set that you really will want to replace very soon - no matter what you think right now!

Pick up a used set of anything from facebook marketplace etc around £50-100 - use them for a while - then upgrade to something you want thats either brand new or used.

I have however found you a dirt cheap package set that I really dont recommend - https://www.costco.co.uk/Camping-Sp...-Graphite-Golf-Club-Set-Right-Handed/p/338917

But still - dont buy a package set in my opinion.

AAC

Visit site
Aaaaah Macgregor irons, they were my first irons 50 years ago, I had MT Tourneys which wern't a bad club back then, i think Macgregor has gone down the pecking order since, I started with a 5,7 & 9 iron and bought individual clubs thereafter as and when I could afford them, happy days.

I think Benross might be a good shout as JamesR has said but if not I would be inclined down the used route, do you have a relative/friend who could steer you in the right direction ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the sound of it you are still reasonably young and on that basis I would not recommend buying irons with graphite shafts.

If your intention is to spend that sort of money on a set I would go the second hand route.

You do not need to buy a full set to begin with. Driver, 3 wood, one rescue/hybrid irons 5-PW plus SW and a putter would be good enough to get you started.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Aaaaah Macgregor irons, they were my first irons 50 years ago, I had MT Tourneys which wern't a bad club back then, i think Macgregor has gone down the pecking order since, I started with a 5,7 & 9 iron and bought individual clubs thereafter as and when I could afford them, happy days.

I think Benross might be a good shout as JamesR has said but if not I would be inclined down the used route, do you have a relative/friend who could steer you in the right direction ?
Tourneys were my first set also...the ones with the split sole...whatever model that was. I thought they were great - I was dead proud to have a full set of irons...

They were getting on a bit when my dad bought me them 1976'ish - I don't think he told my mum how much they actually were - not a lot - but a lot more than he told her as my folks were not swimming in spare cash at the time.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Honestly, just get enough to get you onto the course be it 2nd hand, package, out the loft of your dads house whatever. Get on the course and see if it sparks that love for the game we all have. Then once you know you're in for the long haul start planning the next piece of equipment.

Mackrel829

Visit site
Thanks all for the advice!

I ended up opting Decathlon's Inesis 100 set. I read up quite a lot on their philosophy as a company, on their golf products in general, and on the 100 starter set specifically. It really seems tailored for beginners, was the cheapest set by far, and should be ideal for me personally.

I figured this small set will get me out on the course practising and learning as soon as possible. Then I can just gradually add and replace as and when I develop enough to feel the need. Swap the driver out for something more consistent, add a lofted wedge, find a putter that I like the feel of, etc. Once my swing is more consistent (eventually) I can swap the hybrid irons out for a nice regular set.

I opted for graphite shafted irons, which I've just seen someone recommend against. My thought process was that the primary benefit of steel seems to be a greater response/feel on shots. As a beginner, I didn't think that was a big deal as I don't really know what to 'feel' for. The main benefit of graphite shafts, on the other hand, seems to be that you can swing slower without sacrificing much distance. This does seem a benefit to me as a beginner as I'll likely be swinging quite slowly whilst I'm concentrating on developing proper swing technique. Does this seem reasonable or should I have ordered the steel?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I didn't think you'll go far wrong with those clubs. They get decent reviews.

Don't worry too much about graphite shafts either. They are generally much better than they once were in irons and are much more common now. There are a fair few tour pros that use them now.

You’ll soon discover that many a golfer are stuck in their ways on many aspects of the game so take any advice on the forum with a pinch of salt (including my own) and do plenty of research.

The main thing is to enjoy the learning process you are about to embark upon.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think all this improving beyond, and growing out of clubs is rubbish.
I had Howson Derby irons when I started playing, and kept them until I got down to single figures.
It’s the swing, not the club, which is all important.