Scottish Golf proposing to allow non-club members handicap

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Double figures

Guys who only play on a Saturday in a Comp , guys that don’t play over the winter prob lose a number of country members as well

Why would they need to spend £1k when they could spend £50 and then just a green fee at club somewhere , even if they paid just the green fee for the comps it would be cheaper

surely you dont lose the saturday guys, theyre gonna pay what 30 or 40 quid green fee each week plsu the membership for hcap etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well done Sherlock. Not like you to regurgitate previous posts.

Actually brings quite a bit of additional income into the game, not the other way around.

Quite confident it's a positive.
It's called an opinion and I'd ask you a) to respect my right to post it and b) reply in a civil manner please. I fail to see where there are any benefits to members paying their fees if anybody can then rock up and play in a comp. I think it's rife for abuse where players can sandbag a high handicap, not get seen for ages and pick and choose their events to rock up and pay a green fee for, probably when they are playing well. Granted there a club members that aren't seen for months on end and turn up when the main events are on, but at least the club is getting the benefit of their subs

D

Deleted member 15344

surely you dont lose the saturday guys, theyre gonna pay what 30 or 40 quid green fee each week plsu the membership for hcap etc

Those guys can get cheap green fees all over the place and they won’t pay 30/40 every week , some guys play once or twice a month and some play March to October. I don’t ever expect England Golf to do it - I think they will release it does give protection to the clubs and we need the clubs. And England do have plenty of the clubs that have point systems and memberships in place that allow a HC to be gained and maintained without paying full membership.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Balance it out -

Say each club loses 10 members to this new system , that’s on average £5 -10k lost to each club per year

Greens aren’t going to fill the gap , Scotland Golf aren’t going to give the clubs any money - what exactly are they going to do with the money they get ? It’s not going to the clubs is it who already have each member pay a yearly subscription

Golfers need clubs - cut their legs away from them and there could be dire consequences as the article states.

This system imo won’t bring more money into the game - it will actually mean less money to the clubs and maybe a bit more to the golf union.

It isn't about clubs. This is about members leaving golf. Period.

In Scotland at a vast number of clubs you are already at the "hardcore" point where what you have are staying.

This is capturing the stem away from clubs. Club managers I know are actually welcoming this.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's called an opinion and I'd ask you a) to respect my right to post it and b) reply in a civil manner please. I fail to see where there are any benefits to members paying their fees if anybody can then rock up and play in a comp. I think it's rife for abuse where players can sandbag a high handicap, not get seen for ages and pick and choose their events to rock up and pay a green fee for, probably when they are playing well. Granted there a club members that aren't seen for months on end and turn up when the main events are on, but at least the club is getting the benefit of their subs
The only “other” Golfers that can rock up and play in comp is when you hold an open, let’s be honest, clubs hold opens to raise funds, therefore, if this scheme is a success, ie, more Golfers with an active handicap, then the pool of people to enter said opens is increased.
As for the worry of the bandit turning up, there is absolutely no difference to what can happen now, does any club actually check on every single entry prior to an open, or are they happy the Golfer has a CDH No and pays a fee.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The only “other” Golfers that can rock up and play in comp is when you hold an open, let’s be honest, clubs hold opens to raise funds, therefore, if this scheme is a success, ie, more Golfers with an active handicap, then the pool of people to enter said opens is increased.
As for the worry of the bandit turning up, there is absolutely no difference to what can happen now, does any club actually check on every single entry prior to an open, or are they happy the Golfer has a CDH No and pays a fee.
I get that, and yes the onus is on the club to check handicaps. I know in our Seniors Open, handicaps/CDH numbers have been checked in the past (not sure they are still). As a one off, frustrating as it would be to have a bandit come in and take the prizes, I'd know it's a one off. Having the opportunity to rock up regularly and play in members competitions just doesn't sit right with me

D

Deleted member 16999

I get that, and yes the onus is on the club to check handicaps. I know in our Seniors Open, handicaps/CDH numbers have been checked in the past (not sure they are still). As a one off, frustrating as it would be to have a bandit come in and take the prizes, I'd know it's a one off. Having the opportunity to rock up regularly and play in members competitions just doesn't sit right with me
You’ve lost me, were in the article or on here has anyone said anything about a non-member of a club with a handicap being able to rock up regularly and play in members comps, surely the clue is “members” comps, they won’t be members.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

It isn't about members.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It reeks of Scottish Golf trying to line their pockets, have they said how they plan to reinvest this cash back into golf or is it just a cash grabbing exercise. I can see the Trilby tour coming back to Scotland now.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You’ve lost me, were in the article or on here has anyone said anything about a non-member of a club with a handicap being able to rock up regularly and play in members comps, surely the clue is “members” comps, they won’t be members.

He's clueless. Best ignored until he gets a grasp of the conversation.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It reeks of Scottish Golf trying to line their pockets, have they said how they plan to reinvest this cash back into golf or is it just a cash grabbing exercise. I can see the Trilby tour coming back to Scotland now.

I'd have previously agreed with you. I'm confident that they're on the right track now. Certainly making the right noises which is a chance from the old regime.

Harnessing this potential income works on paper and has loads of merit. I'm prepared to give it time. I don't see it leading to a drive of exiting members from clubs.

Far from it. I see it potentially giving people an inroad back into competitive golf and back to membership.

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe this will capture the thousands of Society Golfers who can’t afford a membership but who want a proper handicap.

D

Deleted member 15344

It isn't about clubs. This is about members leaving golf. Period.

In Scotland at a vast number of clubs you are already at the "hardcore" point where what you have are staying.

This is capturing the stem away from clubs. Club managers I know are actually welcoming this.

The clubs are going to be affected though because current members will take it up and so clubs will lose members , there will be people who won’t want to leave the game but will leave a club - that club loses money , give people a chance of cheaper access to golf and they take it - surely you aren’t that blind to not see it

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd have previously agreed with you. I'm confident that they're on the right track now. Certainly making the right noises which is a chance from the old regime.

Harnessing this potential income works on paper and has loads of merit. I'm prepared to give it time. I don't see it leading to a drive of exiting members from clubs.

Far from it. I see it potentially giving people an inroad back into competitive golf and back to membership.

Competitive golf yeah right, the way I see it is that nomads will use it to get artificial handicaps then enter club opens which may cause a shortage of places that normal club golfers could lose out on due to the non club golfer with a new Scottish Golf lucky bag handicap use to fill their pockets with cheap golf and clean up the prize money.

Well done Scottish Golf, great idea.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does the CONGU constitution permit such non members to have a CONGU handicap?

A CONGU® Handicap is a handicap allotted and adjusted by the Home Club of a Member in accordance with the requirements of the UHS. A CONGU® Handicap must only be allotted to a Member of an Affiliated Club. Any other handicap is not a CONGU ® Handicap

The old EGU had an Associate Members scheme but if I remember rightly this was not a CONGU handicap and was not recognised by the other national unions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He's clueless. Best ignored until he gets a grasp of the conversation.
Do you think this would encourage clubs to hold more roll up comps for these nomad players.
As most clubs have one slow day at the weekend.
My club comps are Saturday but Sunday can be very quiet .
If that’s the case that would make sense but the fees on Sunday at my place are £45 this would make membership cheaper if you play once a week.
But cheaper if playing only now and again.

D

Deleted member 1740

Maybe this will capture the thousands of Society Golfers who can’t afford a membership but who want a proper handicap.

A proper handicap can only be mantained by an credible set up though.

Reactions: DCB
D

Deleted member 16999

Does the CONGU constitution permit such non members to have a CONGU handicap?

A CONGU® Handicap is a handicap allotted and adjusted by the Home Club of a Member in accordance with the requirements of the UHS. A CONGU® Handicap must only be allotted to a Member of an Affiliated Club. Any other handicap is not a CONGU ® Handicap

The old EGU had an Associate Members scheme but if I remember rightly this was not a CONGU handicap and was not recognised by the other national unions.
I believe from the article it’s no more than a plan SG is looking at at the moment, CONGU may say no to them.
Don’t know if the WHS will allow it once that’s in.