Ryder/Presidents Cup.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just watched Jack Nicklaus on the telly talking about the Ryder cup and he was suggesting mixing it up a bit with the President's cup.
I think he was talking along the lines of a "winner stays on" type of deal where, say, Europe play USA this year and then The ROW play the winner next year and the winner continues until beaten.
Sounds good to me.
Thoughts anyone?

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
That does have an appeal. Although I wouldn't like the "intensity" of the Ryder Cup diluted in anyway. Europe v ROW won't have the same edge.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
If Europe were still getting pumped time and time again I would say yes. But the Ryder Cup has grown into something that will last a very long time. I think this 'globalisation' is actually killing sport.

Why the F*** are the FA wanting to play all over the world?

What happens to the wee teams from those parts?

Why do they go all over the world for friendlies and then say there is too many league matches to play.

Keep the Ryder Cup the way it is. Winning it is cyclical and the W.. Yanks will soon hit a purple patch and their fans will be in love with the format again cos they are winning.

Wooooooppphhhhhhhh

Come up for breath Andra !!!!!!

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
so what you are saying the ryder cup is better now even though not to long ago it was gb v usa?

So one expansion to include Europe good, but to include other parts of the world bad.

one upgrade made it better why cant another upgrade work?

I do not know but i would like to see a Continent's cup at least once to see if it could work.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Because expanding it to include mainland Europe was a logical extension from GB&I - especially given the tonking GB&I got (and still would today probably). Expanding to the RoW has no sense at all, especially as the President's Cup was invented to keep them happy for missing out on the money...I mean competition.

You can't invent the value of a competition. The Ryder Cup has true heritage, the PC has none and probably never will as the Yanks don't care about it too much and the RoW has no sense of unity.

If the Yanks had managed to win more than 1 in the last 6 (and that in very unsporting circumstances), or hadn't been royally thumped on the last few occasions, you can bet they wouldn't even be talking about it.

Of course if the Great One and Mickelson ever turned up to the Ryder Cup, maybe they'd win the odd point...

Actually, if they could actually manage to talk to each other, that would be a start...

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hands up, and be honest, how many would be that interested in a Ryder Cup that had no GB&I representation, possibly for a number of years?
That is the situation that could occur whether by expanding 'Europe' into a World team or by making it 'winner stays on'. Too, ROW is too broad a base to develop the cohesion/passion (?) that we currently enjoy. Therefore you would need more than one team (Australia, NZ, and South Afrika as one; Asia another), then where do the likes of Cabrera go?
By the same token, the yanks don't have great staying power once they've lost, as they have demonstarted with the Americas Cup.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
I would not want a row, i would prefer a team from each continent.

For at least one try to see how it got on.

The only problem i can see is with the amount of teams involved the format may have to be changed.

Any sport that has a r o w team (to me at least) is a exhibition.

The point i was trying to make about the ryder cup changing once before and being accepted as a better format is who is to say by getting a team from each continent would not be another improvement, but i must admit i would rather see the ryder cup left as is and a new comp started even if it was once every 5 years or so.

new things have to be tried and tested.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It should be left alone, it has history, and it is feisty. A new competition, or an expanded version would not get the juices going in the way that old rivalries do.
A Ryder Cup without Europe would be like not having a North London derby, impossible to even think of it.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
..... i must admit i would rather see the ryder cup left as is and a new comp started even if it was once every 5 years or so..

I am not sure the sponsors would like it every 5 years.

new things have to be tried and tested

Why ???

What ever happened to 'if its not broken, don't fix it'

If you think it IS broken, what would you change?

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
..... i must admit i would rather see the ryder cup left as is and a new comp started even if it was once every 5 years or so..

I am not sure the sponsors would like it every 5 years.

new things have to be tried and tested

Why ???

What ever happened to 'if its not broken, don't fix it'

If you think it IS broken, what would you change?

at no point have i said change the ryder cup (not intentionally anyway), so if it ain't broke don't fix does not comply to what i am saying.

I would like to see the a ryder cup style comp with all parts of the world involved.

Don't know about anyone else but i think there are a lot of players we are missing out on in this style of comp.

Think of George best never getting to the world cup!

As for every 5 years its just a thought as where would it fit in, in today's calendar?

If it was every 2 years or so either the presidents cup or ryder cup would need to go or take shots each so the 3 events would be once every 3 years.

I would like to see this event at least once to see how it went, are you telling me you don't want to see any of the Asian, African, south American ect players playing in a ryder cup style comp? Not even out of curiosity to see how these players could cope?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would like to see this event at least once to see how it went, are you telling me you don't want to see any of the Asian, African, south American ect players playing in a ryder cup style comp? Not even out of curiosity to see how these players could cope?

Sure I would but not at the expense of the Ryder Cup. The World Series is pretty much a dead issue so better to take over that slot in the Calendar.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Players like the Georges (Best, Weah) not making World Cups, or Gary Player/Greg Norman not getting to play in something like the Ryder Cup is precisely what makes the events so special. Leave them be.

Is the European Cup better for the the farting about with it? Is the UEFA? Was the Cup Winner's Cup worth destroying? All a big fat no.

Tweaking, yes. Changing, no.

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would like to see a tourmament where, every 2 years the 20 or so players with the most world ranking points over the 2 years were split up at random into 2 teams.

they then play a ryder cup stlye format. this would give us the ultimate golf, it would be all the in form players slugging it out. picture Tiger vs Ernie Rose vs Vijay

they could call it the Golf world cup...

maybe not

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My opinion is that I would like to see the best in the world compete in as many varieties of golf as possible. I enjoy watching the different challenges that the Ryder cup throws up and would like to see a few more events where team elements are important. Would I want to change the Ryder Cup to incorporate other nations, the answer is no but I think that there should be room in the calendar for a few more different events.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
first i think the ryder cup is good the way it is, but

Do you think the ryder cup was improved by CHANGING it when the rest of Europe was invited to play in it not so long ago?

If yes then why not try at least once with other continents, it might get better.

If it did not improve the ryder cup then why is no one wanting it to go back to gb/I?

Logic Say's if it has been improved once then it can be again.

I say again i would rather see the ryder cup stay the way it is and a new comp tried at least once to see what it is like.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you think the ryder cup was improved by CHANGING it when the rest of Europe was invited to play in it not so long ago?

If yes then why not try at least once with other continents, it might get better.

I don't think that any players from the other continents would want to play with the USA against us.