How do you see DeChambeau’s Ryder Cup playing out?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
In Paris he played three and lost three having partnered Mickelson and Tiger, at the Presidents Cup he spent one of the days in the stands with the fans and, even at the Walker Cup, DeChambeau missed the first session when he was one of the star names

Of all the side stories how he spends his week at Whistling Straits will be pretty interesting

Who’s he going to play with? What format will he play? How much will he influence the matches? Will he finally settle into a US team?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Play 5, win 4, halve 1. He is a different player to 2018. US banker in a very onesided Ryder Cup that will be over early on, and only the triumphalism of the local fans will be the negative of a fantastically dominant and impressive US team.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The course will be set up to reward long driving and straightforward putting. Unfortunately, I think he, and many of his teammates, will be just fine.

evemccc

Visit site
The course will be set up to reward long driving and straightforward putting. Unfortunately, I think he, and many of his teammates, will be just fine.

I think this is probably very accurate

I would like to see the Europeans win obviously, but would like Bryson to win all his matches and still to avoid talking to the (US) media

By and large I like what I know about him - his Masters comments excepted of course - and find the NLU obsession with him and fawning of Jordan Speith pathetic

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bryson will play his game - which seems to either be a masterclass or a disaster. Hopefully for the ryder cup the latter.
The individuals they have will have to put their squabbles/twitter fights/who's wearing the prettiest dress competitions aside to win. That's their downfall, I think their ego's will take over and as a collective they'll fall - blame each other and the media for their loss. Go Europe!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Strange/not strange how he was seen as more of a foursomes player and now probably a banker for both fourballs.

Saw someone say he might play with Harris English who stuck up for him recently

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd put him with the most consistent tee to green player in the team, and let that person bank pars. That would let Bryson play gung-ho, all or nothing golf in the 4BBB.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Brooks, Cantlay, DeChambeau, Reed, Johnson. Tough to get many team meetings without some frost there!!

I'm actually warming to Bryson, all the crowd bullying has shown up his human side!

D

Deleted member 1147

Has there been beef with Bryson & Cantlay before, or is the only issue from this weekend?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I feel like he's an individual and won't be too bothered about the team element or that camaraderie that the Europeans tend to have, so I feel like who he partners is less of an issue for him and more an issue for the other player to deal with.

DJ might be a good fit, as there's really nothing going on between the ears there and it'd be too much effort for him to actively dislike BDC. JT, I think, might have BDCs respect and he has the temperament to deal with him. Rory or Rahm vs BDC in the singles would be interesting.

evemccc

Visit site
Great for four ball, maybe not so good foursomes.

In theory I think Reed would do well in a foursome combo with Bryson....Bryson off the tee goes without saying and Reed's short game is as good as anyones and can get out of jail on the holes where Bryson's errant driving puts him

evemccc

Visit site
Course is going to be perfect for his style of play. He might win all his matches.

Don’t expect him to play with brooks or Cantlay but no reason not to put him in foursomes in a course that’ll be wide open. Bryson and Patrick Reed would potentially have been a great 4somes pair - monster hitter that can spray it anywhere with the guy who can get up and down from anywhere, would be fascinating - but don’t think reed will get a pick even if fit to play by then.

Does beg the question whether it’s right the home Captain gets to set the course up - would it be better for the event to have that done neutrally?
Agree 100%

I didn't see this comment, when I added mine

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You would think matchplay would suit his game, his length off the tee will give him plenty opportunities and put pressure on his opponent always playing their approach shots first. Although Cantlay won at the weekend with some tremendous putting he was under pressure in several of the holes to make long putts to keep it going while Bryson missed some short ones to win. You always feel Bryson is liable to thrown in a double or triple here or there when going all guns blazing and that can mean a 2, 3 or even 4 shot swing in strokeplay but you only ever lose 1 hole in matchplay.

sunshine

Visit site
In theory I think Reed would do well in a foursome combo with Bryson....Bryson off the tee goes without saying and Reed's short game is as good as anyones and can get out of jail on the holes where Bryson's errant driving puts him

Absolutely, Wherever BDC drives the ball, Reed would always make sure that he gets a good lie for his next shot.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can see BDC and Reed working well in America. Both seem to like a crowd cheering them on.

Not so sure it would work well in a couple of years time tho. Reed seem to love playing the pantomime villain and getting the crowd going, but I don't think BDC would react that well to the crowd having a real go at him.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m looking forward to him playing 4 balls in a pair with Brooks

they will play as if the Europe players aren’t even there

Which is probably a better strategy of putting Tiger and Mickleson together and hoping they will gel