How quick do you work out what's wrong.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Your on the course, you have sliced one, thinned one, pulled one, topped one, what ever. You have just hit a bad shot, you may have hit two or three in the same round. How long does it take you to work out what you did wrong, and then be able to rectify the problem without over correcting.

The reason I ask is when I played Tuesday and shot 42 points and on the 17 th and 18 th I had two three foot putts and I pulled them both. It is not the first time I have done it and it is an Achilles heel. What was a very good round could of been brilliant. But I could not figure out what was causing the pull.

Anyway I ordered some new children's clubs for young Bradley Tash from American golf yesterday and they turned up today. I was talking to a guy called Will re Putting and I mentioned my little problem. He asked when I have hit the putt do I follow the ball dropping in the hole. Of course I do. He mentioned that because I follow the ball with my head and look to the left the turning of my head causes my right shoulder to drop forward causing me to push the ball left. Something in my head went ding. He said that if it is a straight putt. Get your line hit the ball and "listen" to it drop without turning your head. Now am not at all saying everyone does this and it may only be me. But it was odd listening to someone else tell me what I was/could be doing wrong without actually seeing me putt.

So so how long does it take you to work out what went wrong.

ps, cheers Will mah man.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
So so how long does it take you to work out what went wrong. Instantly. I know my swing very well.

Then be able to rectify the problem without over correcting Soon as it happens ill let you know. Really though pretty much when I get home, dump my bag, go in the garden, hit 3 balls and "ahh there it is"

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Last time I had a destructive problem it took 3 months, and was then sorted in 5 mins by asking a pro. My interpretation of what was going wrong was off the mark.

For basic stuff, I can tell you where the ball is going before it changes direction.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I love working on my game I just love fixing a problem myself.

Usually I can adjust within a shot or 2

For me it also gives me a sense of satisfaction that I did fix it myself,however my driver well that's still ongoing
and has been for years.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If I've siced one I know the face was open, if I hook one it was too closed, if I fat one I'm usually too close and steep, so identifying one part of the reason that caused the mishit is almost immediate, identifying why it was open or closed at impact is totally another issue and help is always needed to watch my setup and swing, alignment is usually my issue, as soon as I've blocked one miles out right I look down at my feet and 9 times out of 10 I was facing that way, I think alignment and the lack of getting it consistent is one of the biggest issues with many handicap golfers IMO.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Like pokerjoke I enjoy trying to fix / adjust my swing myself. Admittedly I do use the limitless amount of videos on YouTube.

How quick does it take? how long is a piece of string? every day is a school day in this game.

Definitely felt an improvement in my game year on year. sometimes my swing goes AWOL, sometimes for months at a time. My short game usually allows me to scrap it round in a relatively decent score.

Every now and again something clicks in my head and I take a big leap forward in my understanding of this endlessly complicated simple game.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty clueless about the swing and my own swing so, in terms of technically knowing whats gone wrong I'm rubbish. I tend to know what my good swing feels like so I usually just have some practice swings until it feels like I'm somewhere near it.

TBH I'm a bit braindead on the course and most of my problems come from not concentrating on the shot, alignment usually so the answer to "why have I hit that 80 yards right of the fairway" is usually because that's exactly where I was aiming...... :rofl:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Having played for 60 years, Tashy, son, I am fairly conversant with my habitual faults & can usually fix them during a round. However, it sometimes only dawns when I'm home & think about what went wrong. Knowing what the clubhead was doing at impact is definitely an advantage.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Andy,
with regard putting I was told 30 odd years ago by an old pro :keep your head still and listen for the music"
Still good advice even now------When I finally get to the green that is!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I'm on the course, I won't panic and try too hard to look for a fix and try to simply play ugly (uglier than normal) and get it round. I can usually find a fix on the range and know my swing, quirky as it is. I enjoy working on my game, but prefer to do it in conjunction with a pro so I don't ingrain too many faults