How can you, do you work it out.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played today and as per usual my driving today was rammel. Oddly enough I won a nearest pin with my driver. But by and large, it was flippin frustrating. Anyway I played with a lad today for the first time. He plays off one. It was fantastic to watch at times. I went on a run of 5 pars out of six holes.But either side W average. I was ticking over nicely but two lost balls from 2 bad drives meant a painful finish. I mentioned my driving on the 18th hole, a long par 5 After I had hit a 3 wood off the tee. The 1 handicapper said put a ball down, address it and I will show you a couple of things that are wrong. He proceeded to tell me what I was doing wrong, and what I should be doing Right. Ironically, it was the exact same things I had been taught to do or not do when having driving lessons.
So how can I recognise and identify what I am doing wrong without going round after round struggling off the tee. How do I/ you analyse what you are doing wrong and how to rectify it without over compensating.
He mentions about how he goes through his routine and if at any time he does not feel right when stood on the tee, or over his shot. He just steps away and resets.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I have a couple of recurring faults (in addition to the lack of talent) so when I'm struggling, its usually one of those.

But it has taken several years (lapsed time) of lessons with a clever man to get me to this level of understanding.

When it happens, I know what to check for. But a lesson every few months keeps me honest

I've never played or practiced enough to get lower. Maybe giving up work this autumn will give me a chance.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most times I can work it out from the ball flight and what I did in the swing.

The benefits of loads of lessons and things going wrong a fair number of times.

Sometimes there is no immediate cure because it is just my body failing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you going wrong left or right, scuffing it, topping it etc? Ideally you will be going wrong consistently, if spraying it all over then you really are in trouble :LOL:. My bad shots off the tee are either a push right or a low hook. I know the issue with either shot so ideally can correct it next shot up. It doesn't mean that will happen but it usually does.

I guess the key is to remember your lesson, pluck a couple of things from that and just concentrate on those when it starts to go wrong. Is it worth writing a couple of points down on a card and keep it in your bag? Then if it starts to go wrong and your brain is melting you can read the card, reset and ready the ship. Trying to rectify without knowing the problem that is causing it is likely to add layers of more problems so holding onto to your lesson thoughts is key.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always think if your having problems with a particular shot, the game gives you a lot of them shots just to test you.
Driving is a must, but lots of people don’t understand their own swing.
I am pretty good at other peoples faults , but can’t self diagnose very well.
Back to basics is all I do ,it usually works but if not off to the pro.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's the beauty of lessons, not only should it help your play, but teach you how you swing and what is your bad shot and how to rectify when it does go wrong.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Are you going wrong left or right, scuffing it, topping it etc? Ideally you will be going wrong consistently, if spraying it all over then you really are in trouble :LOL:. My bad shots off the tee are either a push right or a low hook. I know the issue with either shot so ideally can correct it next shot up. It doesn't mean that will happen but it usually does.

I guess the key is to remember your lesson, pluck a couple of things from that and just concentrate on those when it starts to go wrong. Is it worth writing a couple of points down on a card and keep it in your bag? Then if it starts to go wrong and your brain is melting you can read the card, reset and ready the ship. Trying to rectify without knowing the problem that is causing it is likely to add layers of more problems so holding onto to your lesson thoughts is key.

Unfortunately this. The two balls I lost. One left, one right. The guy that told me a couple of things I was doing wrong. To much sway and arms not straight enough, that’s what I was told by my pro. what’s done my head in is not working it out on the course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately this. The two balls I lost. One left, one right. The guy that told me a couple of things I was doing wrong. To much sway and arms not straight enough, that’s what I was told by my pro. what’s done my head in is not working it out on the course.
After you hit a bad one take a deep breath, keep calm. The answer is in your head already, you can't see it on the course because the mist comes down.

Keeping calm helps the thought process ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This is the very real reason why some people’s games stagnate.
They can’t analyse what they are doing wrong and correct it. It’s a skill that needs to be learnt.

That's why I teach taught self analysis.
Having the knowledge to understand what caused the bad shot and how to stop it happening again.
Better and cheaper than running to the pro every time something goes wrong.

Tashyboy

Visit site
After you hit a bad one take a deep breath, keep calm. The answer is in your head already, you can't see it on the course because the mist comes down.

Keeping calm helps the thought process ?

What does me is, it is just my driver. My short game inc putting is very very good. But at that point it is catchup. To be honest I am to thick to get wound up. I have the odd moments of verbal frustration. But as Lump says it is a skill I need to learn. Bob has just mentioned it was a skill he taught, self analysis. I have a lesson next week, it is something that I will ask the pro. A way of analysing what I am doing wrong.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I am pretty good at other peoples faults , but can’t self diagnose very well.
Most likely because you have a real view of their swing. When you're swinging yourself, you're looking at the ball and not at what your clubhead, wrists, arms, legs, head, shoulders, etc are doing. When analysing your own swing, you're going by feel and what your ball does. Feel can be very different from reality...

Unbeknownst to me, my mate took a video of me putting the other day. In my head I look like Tiger when putting. In real life, I look like bloody Will Zalatoris :rolleyes: At least I made the putt though :LOL:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most likely because you have a real view of their swing. When you're swinging yourself, you're looking at the ball and not at what your clubhead, wrists, arms, legs, head, shoulders, etc are doing. When analysing your own swing, you're going by feel and what your ball does. Feel can be very different from reality...

Unbeknownst to me, my mate took a video of me putting the other day. In my head I look like Tiger when putting. In real life, I look like bloody Will Zalatoris :rolleyes: At least I made the putt though :LOL:
Yes totally agree.
First time I saw my swing on video it just didn’t look anything like I thought.
All my pps always say I have a lovely swing and tempo.
But sometimes it’s no good having a nice swing if you hit it in the trees.
It’s a game of millimetres but those mm can mean several metres in the trees.