Do you miss your putts left or right?

Do you consistently miss your putts to the left, right or equally between the two?

• Miss Left

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Miss Right

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I miss either side equally

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rather than distract another thread I thought this was worth looking at. When I miss putts I predominantly miss to the right, a push. Sometimes it is an obvious push, sometimes it is a slight one. I rarely miss to the left.

I could be reading things wrong consistently or it could be, more likely, my stroke.

So, which are you? Left, right or do you miss both sides equally?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly have no idea. Our greens have big slopes so it's more a question of over-reading or under-reading break and missing high or low. It terms of my stroke I'd guess equal misses on either side. I can pull them left, or I can hit a lot out of the toe (which I guess would be miss right more often than not).

sunshine

Visit site
I could be reading things wrong consistently or it could be, more likely, my stroke.
You need to find a straight putt on the practice green or living room carpet. Crouch behind the ball and roll it into the hole to double check it's straight (much easier to see the deviation of the ball from behind the hole). Then practise putting from the same spot for 5 minutes. You should be able to quickly tell if the problem is your stroke or alignment / eyesight.

If I have time I practise this with 4-6 footers, really helps with holing out.

If I'm lucky one of the pros has drawn a chalk line on the green to mark out a straight putt. This is brilliant for sorting out my stroke.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've gone for both, although it is better since I went for a putter fitting/lesson. I tended to miss/pull long putts left but this was more technique based & was picked up on the lesson (my backswing was too slow & long, which meant that I then subconsciously put more into the through stroke - never picked this up until he showed me the video/data). Now that I am a bit more compact & have a faster stroke, that has improved dramatically.
A push can crop up but that's usually because I have lifted my head too quickly.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No idea. I tend to leave quite a few short as I try to get the ball to just drop into the hole but never noticed if they are left or right.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No idea. I tend to leave quite a few short as I try to get the ball to just drop into the hole but never noticed if they are left or right.

That’s my problem, I’m a dribbler! The prob with this is the ball will deviate on the smallest of imperfections on the surface.

My old doubles partner always putted with pace, I need to do this more

sunshine

Visit site
I can't respond to the poll, because I'm pretty confident I set the ball on the intended line pretty much all the time. When I miss it's because I've got the wrong pace/line.

I love putting too. I play at a MacKenzie course with greens like Augusta - you've got to love putting to be a member otherwise it would be torture!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't respond to the poll, because I'm pretty confident I set the ball on the intended line pretty much all the time. When I miss it's because I've got the wrong pace/line.

I love putting too. I play at a MacKenzie course with greens like Augusta - you've got to love putting to be a member otherwise it would be torture!
LT never even considered the possibility that someone on the forum might be good at putting.

Visit site
I had a putting lesson last year due to a case of the yips, I changed from standard grip to claw and went on the GCQuad on the putting green… I actually “push” every putt, by like 0.1 degree - however, I seem to aim slightly left subconsciously so that it evens out.

The pro put a “gate” with tees about 5ft in front of me and asked me to putt the ball through it. I did manage this with great success, the pro pointed out I’d pushed every putt but also had no issues with my line so he didn’t feel it necessary to work on.

I don’t notice a specific pattern on the course with the new grip, my putting is good

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Short is my worst miss but I do have a tendency to push right the closer I get to the hole.

A short putt followed by missing a ”tap in” right pretty much sums up my entire game.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I'd say equal misses left & right.
Normally on a straight putt if I miss to the right it's sometimes because the ball is too far forward in my stance.
if I miss to the left It could be too far back in my stance.
If I miss a couple on the trott on the same side, I'll check the ball position.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say equal misses left & right.
Normally on a straight putt if I miss to the right it's sometimes because the ball is too far forward in my stance.
if I miss to the left It could be too far back in my stance.

If I miss a couple on the trott on the same side, I'll check the ball position.
Shouldn't that be the other way round? Or are you left-handed?

Since I had a putting lesson a couple of years ago, I've always had the ball position a fraction forward of centre, so the putter face itself is in the centre of my stance. Seems to roll the ball nicer from there, rather than having the ball in the centre as I used to.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a milled oddessy 2 ball mallet that I could do nothing but pull. It was crazy.

I've a garage full of putters. Never sell them but that thing had to go. Was useless to me.

This last 6 months I've used a simple flange head napa style brass mizuno putter with a single dot for alignment. So simple. It just goes where I point. Absolutely love it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Left.
It’s my eyesight.
I pick a spot on line from behind the ball.
But when I get over the ball it looks like I’m aiming left a lot.

Tried all sorts of head and ball positions but it’s a constant problem.

Very offputting.