Do you miss your putts left or right?

Do you consistently miss your putts to the left, right or equally between the two?

• Miss Left

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Miss Right

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I miss either side equally

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Always missed putts right (under 10ft especially).

Then my pro suggested I may have very strong right eye dominance, and a quick check on the putting green confirmed that. He explained what was going on and the remedy…and straight away sorted.

So now as soon as I unexpectedly miss a shorter one right, and didn‘t feel that I pushed it (which clearly I had done though I didn’t feel I had) that’s my right eye dominance, but I now know how to adjust my address to compensate. I guess the same applies for left eye dominance causing misses to the left.

This curious thing has been discussed on here before with links to videos…at least a couple of years ago though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I miss right generally when I lift my head which causes a push.

I miss left when I let the wrist take part in the stroke.

Most putts missed are because of a failure to correctly read the line/pace.

Albo

Visit site
I can miss both ways, but my biggest guilt is over reading shorter putts, the greens I play on only a few have significant break and not many at all on short putts yet I’m forever aiming outside the cup from <5ft

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never really thought about it tbh.
I’d probably say right tho.
Short is my miss.
putting is worst part of my game.
I find a lot of players with “ soft “ inserts in their putters leave it short.
Especially long putts , I could never hit it hard enough..

I have had all sorts over the years.
Bought a Cleveland #8 anser style and am putting well with it.
Probably the cheapest one I have had.😳😳😂

Visit site
I really struggled with putting, it used to add at least 5 shots per round by not thinking straight about obvious things. Putts break less in wet conditions etc. I've rectified poor putting by gripping as near to the metal as possible (each to their own) and it's working a treat. For me, it's a case of constantly reminding myself on every green of the basics (chuntering away to myself) and not applying too much pressure. Make sure you get the putt past the hole - when I play by myself and have a putt less than 20 feet, I will say it's 2 shots from here regardless and this seems to work. Ultimately for me as a 13 handicapper if it's a par putt, it doesn't really matter, just go it!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find a lot of players with “ soft “ inserts in their putters leave it short.
Especially long putts , I could never hit it hard enough..

I have had all sorts over the years.
Bought a Cleveland #8 anser style and am putting well with it.
Probably the cheapest one I have had.😳😳😂

Not a fan of inserts in winter. Always leave it short.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If I'm not careful I pull my putts. However I would say that, in general, most people miss more level & uphill putts with borrow low & downhill putts high. I've noticed this with the pros too. With a downhill putt, especially, I've lost count of the times I've allowed for borrow only to see the putt go practically straight.

Take notice next time you watch golf on TV, see if I'm right.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are inconsistent, missing left and right, you could have too much lower body movement.
Try the chair drill below, keeping even pressure on both ''cheeks'' throughout the stroke.

D

Deleted member 35577

If you are inconsistent, missing left and right, you could have too much lower body movement.
Try the chair drill below, keeping even pressure on both ''cheeks'' throughout the stroke.

Thanks Bob I'll try that. Only problem is the bar at my club is upstairs so could be a bit of a faff getting a chair down to the putting green.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I miss right generally when I lift my head which causes a push.

I miss left when I let the wrist take part in the stroke.

Most putts missed are because of a failure to correctly read the line/pace.
Though I can read the line perfectly but over the putt my brain can take over with my sub-conscious telling me I’ve got it wrong, and it compensates accordingly.