Sir Michael Bonallack

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was sorry to read of the passing of Sir Michael Bonallack, a titan of our sport. Five times Amateur Champion, five times English Amateur Champion, four times Brabazon Trophy winner, he played in 9 Walker Cups and was the playing Captain in 1971 when GB&I won the Cup for the first time since WWII. He never turned pro, because, in his words, 'I saw Jack Nicklaus play, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to put food on the table.'

As an administrator, he was Secretary of the R&A from 1983 to 1999 and Captain in 1999. He played a major part in modernising the Open while ensuring that the history and heritage of the Championship remained intact. He had numerous other roles within the game, including Chairman of the Golf Foundation and President of the English Golf Union.

He was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2000.

4LEX

Visit site
Those amateur records won't be beaten. Incredible career.

Most young elite amateurs these days are actually professionals in all but name. Full time coaching from an early age, college golf in America, club sponsorship etc. It's something they do for a few years before turning pro, whereas the likes of Sir Michael did it purely for the love of golf.