Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Harrington won’t be getting picked for a Ryder Cup just like Langer didn’t when all the clamour was about him a few years back

Lowry , Rose , Fleetwood , Alex Noran - amongst plenty of quality players who will be grabbing a pick before Harrington is even thought off
Sure. Lowry, Rose Fleetwood, are assured. (Rory, Rahm, Hovland, Fitz, and Hatton the others). The problem is the back-end four.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sure. Lowry, Rose Fleetwood, are assured. (Rory, Rahm, Hovland, Fitz, and Hatton the others). The problem is the back-end four.
Current standings have

Rory
Rahm
Macintrye
Hovland
Hatton
Firstpatrick

Add in

Lowry
Rose
Fleetwood
Noren

You need two more from

Paul , Perez , Straka , Meronk , Power , Otaegui , Hojgaard

That will be 9 players who have played before - 3 rookies

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Current standings have

Rory
Rahm
Macintrye
Hovland
Hatton
Firstpatrick

Add in

Lowry
Rose
Fleetwood
Noren

You need two more from

Paul , Perez , Straka , Meronk , Power , Otaegui , Hojgaard

That will be 9 players who have played before - 3 rookies
You cant just add in Noren. Straka is a stronger case following his win.
MacIntyre has greatly improved his case.
But lets say he makes it, that still leaves Straka and Bob as two of the weaker four. Paul, Perez, Meronk, Power, Otaegui, Hojgaard, is really a low level list. Its hard to see them getting anything, and will probably only get one spin before Sunday if even. They have little or nothing on Harrington if his performance in the coming weeks is good at all. His competition isnt top tens. Its how does he do compared to those 8 other options.

To be clear, I am not saying PH is Ryder cup level at the moment. But when you will have 4 from 12 who essentially arent either, then he is in the mix with others you would rather we didnt have to pick either.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let's not forget Ludvig Aberg.

Would rather him on the team than Paul, Perez, Power + Otaegui.

He also builds for the future

D

Deleted member 15344

You cant just add in Noren. Straka is a stronger case following his win.
MacIntyre has greatly improved his case.
But lets say he makes it, that still leaves Straka and Bob as two of the weaker four. Paul, Perez, Meronk, Power, Otaegui, Hojgaard, is really a low level list. Its hard to see them getting anything, and will probably only get one spin before Sunday if even. They have little or nothing on Harrington if his performance in the coming weeks is good at all. His competition isnt top tens. Its how does he do compared to those 8 other options.

To be clear, I am not saying PH is Ryder cup level at the moment. But when you will have 4 from 12 who essentially arent either, then he is in the mix with others you would rather we didnt have to pick either.

Harrington is not going to the Ryder Cup - he isn’t anywhere near being in the mix

Each Ryder Cup there are always a few rookies from the ET that come through and do well - the likes of Paul etc will have earned their way to a pick

Let's not forget Ludvig Aberg.

Would rather him on the team than Paul, Perez, Power + Otaegui.

He also builds for the future

Shouldn’t be anywhere near the team unless he has a dramatic end to the season - 11 events since turning pro and just the one top 10. He has to get himself secure on Tour first

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a big fan of MacIntyre's game so great to see him shoot himself right into the RC places. That three wood on the 18th was a great example of what he can bring to the team. Sounds silly maybe but it's always worth having a lefty in the four-balls I think, depending on the course and pin positions he may find certain holes easier to attack.

AussieKB

Visit site
Interested take by Andy Roberts of Golf Magic
Predicted US Ryder Cup side:

Scottie Scheffler
Wyndham Clark
Brian Harman
Brooks Koepka
Xander Schauffele
Patrick Cantlay
Rickie Fowler
Jordan Spieth
Max Homa
Cameron Young
Keegan Bradley
Bryson DeChambeau

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Scottie Scheffler
Wyndham Clark
Brian Harman
Brooks Koepka
Xander Schauffele
Patrick Cantlay
Rickie Fowler
Jordan Spieth
Max Homa
Cameron Young
Keegan Bradley
Bryson DeChambeau
I can't see them leaving Morikawa and Thomas out somehow.

I think they should take Bryson, but something tells me they won't.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do t think they can afford to risk JT. They have too many solid options in form.
They arent like Europe where the last 4 onto the team are substandard but we have to go with them and hope. We would be picking JT is we could. But USA would be crazy to take him just because he is a name.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do t think they can afford to risk JT. They have too many solid options in form.
They arent like Europe where the last 4 onto the team are substandard but we have to go with them and hope. We would be picking JT is we could. But USA would be crazy to take him just because he is a name.
Think you're right - if he was European he'd be a shoo-in until he was 45 years old. :LOL:

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Essentially you want players in form. I'd rather have a red hot European Tour rookie than an out of form Ryder Cup hero. Last time out this was the major problem, too many playing poor golf in the season and/or weeks leading up to the Ryder Cup.

I'm more optimistic at the moment as there are players in form. Straka is a good pick, PGA Tour winner, can blow hot and cold but I'd like him in a fourball as he makes birdies. Rose playing well.

D

Deleted member 15344

Scottie Scheffler
Wyndham Clark
Brian Harman
Brooks Koepka
Xander Schauffele
Patrick Cantlay
Rickie Fowler
Jordan Spieth
Max Homa
Cameron Young
Keegan Bradley
Bryson DeChambeau

Justin Thomas will be there

His partnership with Spieth is huge for them

Take out and BDC and replace him wigh Thomas and it won’t be far off

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'd say Rose is guaranteed. Won on the PGA tour this year and one of the few experienced guys left to choose from.
What’s his current form like?
I’d rather have someone who’s playing well than someone just for experience.