Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
This is what happens when you are picking players based on an innacurate ranking system, and influenced by the politics in the game guys.

I've questioned Johnsons captaincy enough, this goes beyond him, and it's quite right to look at those who are ruling the game as to how the sum parts of the American team can be in this position.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yes, Bradley certainly should have been there. Agree they put too much mass on who is buddies with who. Cam Young i maybe would have had also.

But two bad picks doesnt explain 10 others playing embarrassingly bad golf. So no pick tweaks were going to change this fiasco.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is what happens when you are picking players based on an innacurate ranking system, and influenced by the politics in the game guys.

I've questioned Johnsons captaincy enough, this goes beyond him, and it's quite right to look at those who are ruling the game as to how the sum parts of the American team can be in this position.

I was about to say they didn't pick the fear factor players

DJ , Bryson , Reid I know they left and not going into that but those are players people fear playing

Do you fear homa, burns or Clarke? Appreciate some made it automatically but just they don't have the striking fear of the first 3 for me

That said their fear players out there are playing awful

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the worst bits of captaincy I have seen in any sport, ever.

I get it that he and Thomas are mates, and that they may have a decent history, but Spieth can’t keep the ball in play from the tee. They’re virtually gifting Europe every other hole.

Baffling decision to play him.

He's thrown Spieth under a bus. Can't be anything worse in golf than foursomes when you're putting your partner in trouble all the time.

Koepka getting exactly what he deserves. Sometimes, just sometimes that happens in sport and I love it!

Swango1980

Visit site

Mind you, you said the following about Donald and Europe:

"I’m not sure the Europeans have enough grit between them, and Donald seems a bit flakey to me, personally feel the captains room could have been a lot stronger given the inexperience on the playing side."

I guess if you question both Captain's, there is a fair chance you'll be right 50% of the time :)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
But, its sooo bad from the yanks, I think we have to buy they story that they are sick.

If Europe was a point or two ahead, and beating the US was certainly in their range, it would be believable, but pummelling them like this does show there is more behind it.

But the show must go on. The RC is a money machine, so pump them with antibiotics and painkillers and push on.
Eu has to play their part too, and not undermine things by conceding they know they are playing a sick opponent, and have to act up the delight. Showbiz.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I was about to say they didn't pick the fear factor players

DJ , Bryson , Reid I know they left and not going into that but those are players people fear playing

Do you fear homa, burns or Clarke? Appreciate some made it automatically but just they don't have the striking fear of the first 3 for me

That said their fear players out there are playing awful

I'm looking at the US team and thinking "who can turn this around", and the players that you'd think could - are getting absolutely schooled by Victor and a kid who only popped on the scene a few months back.

Shambolic.

Swango1980

Visit site
But, its sooo bad from the yanks, I think we have to buy they story that they are sick.

If Europe was a point or two ahead, and beating the US was certainly in their range, it would be believable, but pummelling them like this does show there is more behind it.

But the show must go on. The RC is a money machine, so pump them with antibiotics and painkillers and push on.
Eu has to play their part too, and not undermine things by conceding they know they are playing a sick opponent, and have to act up the delight. Showbiz.
Johnson said only 2 or 3 of them were feeling unwell. Not all 12.

The fact is, most of them haven't played in 5 weeks.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Mind you, you said the following about Donald and Europe:

"I’m not sure the Europeans have enough grit between them, and Donald seems a bit flakey to me, personally feel the captains room could have been a lot stronger given the inexperience on the playing side."

I guess if you question both Captain's, there is a fair chance you'll be right 50% of the time :)

Guess what, I was hoping there'd be a good "should some of the LIV players have been selected" story line, and it's happening isn't it.

Luke has got a cigar on while his players take advantage of an unprecedented and totally unexpected situation. Hopefully he's enjoying every single moment of it.

Swango1980

Visit site
Why does Shane Lowry keep letting his opponents get a lead once they manage to have just tied things up again? I reckon Lowry had about 15 pints of Guiness last night. Probably had a few when spectating yesterdays fourballs

Swango1980

Visit site
Just seen a great point made by Dan Rappaport - Tiger won the US Open on one leg and yet these guys are struggling with a cold.

It's a lame excuse for a lame performance thus far.
I agree with your feelings on Johnson btw.

To mention sickness after getting a battering is embarrassing. If it was a truly significant issue, you might mention it pre-tournament, although only if it was literally taking guys out of action. But don't whinge about it after getting a beating.

Has anybody asked him about his players not having played in 5 weeks? I hope he is asked about Spieth playing in foursomes today, and what he thinks of Koepka crying about Rahm yesterday