Ryder Cup 2018 - Paris

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there not way too much analysis of who should pair up with who and course set up supposedly to favour one team? How does that work as most of the Europeans play in the States most of the time anyway? They're all good pros. You put someone who's brilliant but streaky out with a steady Eddie in fourball to cover the likely birdie/bogey-maker with a back up pars machine. Foursomes probably better with 2 steady eddies than erratic/streaky players generally as you have to be considerate to your partner more in foursomes, play a little within yourself so you're not leaving partner in bad spots hacking out etc.

The Ryder Cup normally comes down to putting, whichever team is putting best will win.

Yeah they analyse stuff to death in the build up. Makes me cringe when they talk about the course being set up to favour the Europeans. If you look at the stats, there's minimal difference between the top pros in the world and these guys can adapt to however the course is set up.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah they analyse stuff to death in the build up. Makes me cringe when they talk about the course being set up to favour the Europeans. If you look at the stats, there's minimal difference between the top pros in the world and these guys can adapt to however the course is set up.

In fact perhaps the course is set up to favour the Europeans, but only thanks to the 6000+ seater grand stand on the first tee with roaring Europeans in it and plenty others around the course.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
There's a truly dreadful article on Sky Sports (so bad I can't even bring myself to link it!) where their pundits (none of them golfers) give their opinions on winners and key players... That's 5 minutes spent reading that tosh I wont get back :poop:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So (cos I know folks really like a post starting with 'so') at the Gala dinner everyone's wearing suits and neck ties instead of dinner jackets/dickies (moving with the times)

I suspect Team Europe had clip-on ties (or they have a backroom staff person to do the knots) anyone got inside info on this?
(Team USA did not use clip-on's)

Dear god I'm over this waiting thing, won't we ever get underway....

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So who else is "working from home" tomorrow? I certainly am. My biggest concern is being dialled in to a meeting and a big putt going in when TV is muted, and I deafen a bunch of people spread across the country.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought I read that Rory and Garcia had been playing together a lot in practice.

Not impossible, but it didn't really work at Gleneagles. They were like number 1 & 2 in the world and squeezed 2 points from 4 if memory serves me correctly. May have been better splitting 2 of our 'better' players up in 2014. Got away with it because the team won comfortably.

Ok, not the same dynamic now as one is clearly well ahead of the other in terms of performance and ranking.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I do think the mentality of playing a difficult course is different.

The guys playing in the US are used to lower scoring and easier conditions, generally. Ok - so there's plenty of European events where -20 might not get you into a playoff but in general there is a greater variety of courses and conditions.

Playing a course where 1 or 2 under for 16 holes is a good score might be trickier to adjust the mindset for the Americans who are looking to shoot in the mid 60s every day.

Also it is in all these guys instinct to be aggressive and take every shot on. From the build up, it sounds like this might not be the case here and there are plenty of holes where a conservative approach is the play. That again may be difficult to adjust for guys who have played in the states all their lives.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So who else is "working from home" tomorrow? I certainly am. My biggest concern is being dialled in to a meeting and a big putt going in when TV is muted, and I deafen a bunch of people spread across the country.
I just booked the day off, had (and still have) plenty of holiday days to use.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Doctors appointment at 9.20 (I honestly didn’t know the date clashed when I booked it) and then hopefully working from home with the golf on.
Got a goddam medal on Saturday afternoon though, not happy.

JPLon

Visit site
Woods and Reed alternating shots on their practice round, as are Thomas and Spieth...may well be two of the foursome pairs. Both look fairly solid, that said, it's hard to come up with a US pair that doesn't!

D

Deleted member 15344

Watching all the media reports and pictures hearing the stories it seems the Europeans are having a good laugh and enjoying it , lots of banter etc where as the US team a lot more serious and Bubbas press conference was almost suicidal

U

User62651

The guys playing in the US are used to lower scoring and easier conditions, generally. Ok - so there's plenty of European events where -20 might not get you into a playoff but in general there is a greater variety of courses and conditions.

Playing a course where 1 or 2 under for 16 holes is a good score might be trickier to adjust the mindset for the Americans who are looking to shoot in the mid 60s every day.

Also it is in all these guys instinct to be aggressive and take every shot on. From the build up, it sounds like this might not be the case here and there are plenty of holes where a conservative approach is the play. That again may be difficult to adjust for guys who have played in the states all their lives.

Think that's unture, Zach Johnson won Masters without attempting to hit any par 5s in 2. Also US guys come over for the Open every year, dont play links any other time yet win it more often that not. Their strategy will be the same as Europeans where risk/reward has to be balanced. Jim Furyk was a very tough mental player, think he'll instill that kind of steeliness into his team.
Think this one could go stateside again.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

You do realise their playing matchplay? Par is irrelevant

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

This is a really strange post.

11/12 of the Europeans play a majority US schedule - 9 almost exclusively US. So even if the above stacked up whatsoever it wouldn't be relevant to these European players.

The tours have a very, very similar winning average score relative to par, so with generally much weaker fields in European events you would conclude they are played on easier courses.

Majors are the toughest setups these players face - 9 of the US team have won one or more. Just 5 of the Europeans have.

I honestly can't see how the US guys are going to struggle to 'adjust the mindset' - they're superstar golfers.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Furyk's was OK, a few too many awkward pauses looking for applause.

Bjorn's is pretty class though TBF

Going to be a hell of a battle, could go either way. Hopefully the home support will be the deciding factor.

Oh and we need more Dame Laura - she's gold

D

Deleted member 15344

Koepka/Finau v Rose/Rahm
DJ/Fowler v Rory/Olesen
Spieth/Thomas v Casey/Hatton
Reed/Woods v Molinari/Fleetwood

Interesting pairs and four rookies out first session