Rowdy AGM's

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have just had our AGM Sunday evening 6 pm and some members stood at the bar who had been drinking from about 2 pm following their game of golf ,being disruptive and noisy spoiling the meeting.
We can move the time of the meeting,we have asked the bar to be shut but have been informed that the trust that run the club would loos money by shutting the bar
Have you experienced this and what have you done to resolve the issue?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fortunately we are a members' club so we just shut the bar 15 minutes before and move any drinker from the lounge area into the 19th (with that side of the bar closed also)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are also a private members club, and hold our AGM 7pm on a friday night in October.
The bar is open before hand, but always closed for the duration of the meeting then opened after.
The meetings are usually straight forward, with very little issues of real concern or "heat". Maybe once or twice in the 15 yrs Ive been a member there.

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We have just had our AGM Sunday evening 6 pm and some members stood at the bar who had been drinking from about 2 pm following their game of golf ,being disruptive and noisy spoiling the meeting. We can move the time of the meeting,we have asked the bar to be shut but have been informed that the trust that run the club would loos money by shutting the bar

Wow. Wasn't ever aware of this being an issue.

Siolag

Visit site
We have just had our AGM Sunday evening 6 pm and some members stood at the bar who had been drinking from about 2 pm following their game of golf ,being disruptive and noisy spoiling the meeting.
We can move the time of the meeting,we have asked the bar to be shut but have been informed that the trust that run the club would loos money by shutting the bar

A letter or email to the members concerned advising them that this is not proper conduct?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ours is also a private member club and the bar is closed when the meeting starts and opens as the meeting concludes, with the new incoming Captain traditionally buying the first round (he traditionally hope's for a low attendance)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We hold ours on a Thursday and we pull all the dividers around to separate the bar area so anyone just wanting a drink and not to attend or vote can sit quietly while the meeting proceeds. As for the OP if I ran the club I'd be sending letters to those involved issuing a final warning over their conduct. Totally unacceptable

Hackers76

Visit site
Ours is on a Thursday evening at 7pm in a separate room that doesn’t have a bar. Most had had a drink or two prior to start, we had one of the seniors turn up late and get irate that the club wasn’t sharing every morsel of information they had on WHS but didn’t seem as tho he had been drinking.
I think your Sunday start is the problem, I would likely get the wife to pick me up and stay after the round for a few drinks at that start time, especially if the club has sports on tv. Surely the club would generate more funds having it on a weeknight when the bar is normally quiet and then you are restricting drinking time prior. Seems a no brainier

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I couldn't care less when ours is, I won't be attending anymore. Just send me out my fees and I'll pay them.

I have no interest in how the course/club is run these days. All I want to do is play my golf. Those that give up their time to run the club I take my hat off to and thank them. Just won't be at an AGM.